Configuring Cipher Barcode Scanner

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Madengineer, May 16, 2017.

1. power

power Member

heh, mine didn't come with a manual just the bar code sheet.

2. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

so did you try the suggestions in the previous two posts?

3. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Because if you wanted one that was just a keyboard wedge, you wouldn't spend the extra money on one that had bluetooth connectivity.

4. power

power Member

eh fair point. never used a BT one but makes sense. :thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Haven't yet. Away at a training day today.

Was also notified that the casual brought in decided to 'test it' because he 'knows a lot about computers'. He proceeded to scan random barcodes that are listed in the user manual for set up, and now it won't scan any barcodes at all...

Is it possible to brick theae things??? [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35]

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Sort of,

If you configure it to read a particular type of barcode, and then try scanning barcodes that aren't of that type, it won't recognize them. Code39 is a common format, but if you configure your reader for Codabar, it won't read Code39 barcodes.

Once again, in the manual, there will be a 'reset to factory default' barcode that should scan regardless of how fucked it is (as long as its not physically fucked).

Work out what sort of barcodes you are working with.
    Make your crib sheet.
    Print and Laminate it.

7. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Apparently its not scanning the 'factory reset' barcode. Will know more tomorrow when I'm back

8. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Ok,

I've tried to try the recommendations. haha

But the scanner still will not scan any barcode (including the system default barcode).

EDIT:

Ok, so I've got it working again (it's scanning and stuff) and is happily transmitting data via BT. But, it won't connect via the RS-232 - USB cable.

i went through the required barcodes on page 83. It's supposed to be set up, but according to some of the documentation that came with it, the beeps mean it doesn't have a connection to the PC...

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  9. Technics

Technics Member

If it has an RS-232 interface it is probably expecting the DTR and/or CTS flow control pins to be asserted.

10. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Da fuck does that mean???

11. Technics

Technics Member

Your post implied that you are using a RS-232 <-> USB cable to talk to the device. Some devices wont communicate over RS-232 unless some of the pins are in the correct state (DTR = Data Terminal Ready, CTS = Clear To Send). It would help to know what brand/model of USB to RS-232 cable you are using and what software as well as what configuration options you used to set up the reader otherwise we're all going to be guessing.

12. Renza

Renza Member

How are you reading the data over the serial port? you can't expect it to just enter text like a keyboard would. You either need to have an app that supports serial scanners, or use a program to act as a software wedge.

13. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

ScanMaster? I'm not sure I'll need to double check. As for the rest. I'll need to double check as well. Lol

14. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

At this point, you contact the suppliers of the software, and say "Hey guys, what hardwired Barcode scanner do you recommend" and then just go and buy one. plug it in, and get back to work.

15. desertstalker

desertstalker Member

+1

But then I hate barcode scanners, especially serial ones (and dont get me started on those stupid ones that want 24V from the serial port for power)

16. Supplanter

Supplanter Member

Was the serial-USB convertor supplied with the scanner, or was it a spare one you had lying around? Some have compatibility issues.

17. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Nah it was the supplied cable. Ended up calling the manufacturer, described the issue, and they wanted us to send the whole kit back to them so they could test and replace if necessary.