Confirming dead/faulty B450 Motherboard diagnosis

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Renegade40D, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

Ok so here goes... i believe motherboard in my partners PC is faulty just want to check i haven't missed anything.

MSI B450m Mortar Max
    Ryzen 5 3600
    In Win 650W Gold PSU

PC was running fine, then one morning nothing happened when she pressed the power button, i pulled the AC cord out and plugged it back in a few times and eventually it powered on, so i thought maybe it was the PSU.
    It worked fine that day, but next morning it wouldnt turn on again and the power cable trick didnt work. Completely lifeless, no LED's no fans, PSU didnt power on at all either.

- Unplugged all the PSU cables and jumpered the on pin with a ground pin and the PSU powered on.

So now i am thinking MOBO, pulled everything out of the case set the mobo up on a box (with a different GPU for ease of testing - on board power only GPU) and hooked it up to a spare PSU. I was doing this on my lunch break so i gave it a quick test and shorted the power switch pins and nothing happened. Ok dead board.

Came back to it that evening and tried it again and it powered on... confusing but ok. Connected the original PSU and it powered on again. Rebuilt the PC, and it still powered on, she used it over the weekend without any issues and then this morning it did it again, no power to anything PSU doesnt even power on.

The board has some LED fault lights which will indicate if their is a CPU / GPU / RAM issue when its powering on. It doesnt get to this stage, the power switch (or shorting the pins) doesnt even get the PSU to turn on so i am thinking its a faulty motherboard.

Any suggestions or fault finding i can try before i send it back?

Thanks

2. DaveSH

DaveSH Member

I have had similar issues with a Asus B450M, which were fixed by a BIOS update. I recommend giving that a try.

Cheers
    Dave

3. OP
    OP
    Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

I will give it a try, hopefully i can get the board to power on again so i can do a BIOS update.

4. OP
    OP
    Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

Left the machine unplugged for 24 hours, it powered up first go so i updated the BIOS (it had a Jan 2021 BIOS), turned it off after the BIOS update left it for an hour and back to nothing happening when pressing the power button.

I have removed the BIOS battery to get it to reset but i would be suprised if that makes any difference.

5. DaveSH

DaveSH Member

Have you measured the CMOS battery voltage with a multi-meter? Do this In and Out of the board and check if there is any voltage drop when installed in the board.
    Also, this board has a JBat1 jumper to reset the bios. Have you tried shorting that to get it going?

Good Luck
    Dave

t8y likes this.
  6. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

I'd be giving it a really good run with both PSU's to eliminate that as a potenital problem, really stress the system. Make sure you don't have any shorts, rogue standoffs poking up into the underside of the board etc. Unlikely but I had a second hand 2600 and the prior owner had somehow gotten the tiniest fleck of greas on the underside/pins. Barely visible but after a solid wash with iso it worked perfectly. Before that very random and intermittent issues that made no logical sense when testing.

7. ecroF

ecroF Member

I thought I had a dead B450... IT was my ryzen, never EVER have I had a cpu work fine then just die. Umart swapped it out.

8. OP
    OP
    Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

Based on my testing yesterday afternoon i think this may be the case.
    I picked up a cheap basic b450 board from a local store for $69, this board powers on (unlike the mortar max) the fans spin but there is no display out and the fans speed up and slow down every few seconds.
    I tried reseating everything, different RAM, different RAM slots but nothing got me to a display out.

I gave up last night thinking its a dead CPU, this morning just because i could i powered the pc on again and i had display out and was advising the BIOS had been reset and needed to be configured.
    While it was working i quickly updated the BIOS so i can test with a 5000 series CPU, its the only other ryzen CPU i have and will confirm if the CPU is dead / dying.
    I managed to get to the BIOS after the update to confirm the update worked and then it went back to no display output.

So at this point i think the CPU is stuffed and for some reason just randomly works at times. Will pull the CPU out of my rig tonight after work to confirm.

9. OP
    OP
    Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

Both boards work with my 5600x so it's a dying 3600 CPU.

Just seems really strange the MSI board is completely dead (doesn't even turn psu on) with that CPU, but the cheap board I bought powers on and spins the fans. Anyway it is what is.

10. 0xyg3n

0xyg3n Member

Have also had a dead 3600, I also assumed was the board and after trying CPU on new board same result. New 3600 (rma) and its all back to normal. A bit of a google search seems it is a common things with the 3600 :(