Confused about eSATA

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by neon_87, Oct 1, 2007.

1. neon_87

neon_87 RIP

Hi guys,I'm looking at buying a few WD Mybook drives with eSATA to backup important files. I was curious to see how esata worked, so i took my vantec 3.5" enclosure with eSATA and connected the eSATA backplate to my PCI SATA card. The drive just detects and loads like a normal drive, although i cannot safely remove it. I can turn it off fine, and it disapears from my computer, but when i turn it on, windows freezes for about 5-10 seconds while it detects the disk. Is this normal? is there a way to fix this? Cheers.

2. Rezin

Rezin Member

I get the freeze too and I've read that this is normal. Not sure about the reason why you can't safely remove the drive though... maybe as you've just converted a SATA port into an eSATA port via the adapter, or it could be the SATA controller itself?

3. CAMS

CAMS Member

What MB, what SATA controller.
    Jmicron & Nvidia show in system try as removable. Intel & 690G dont. Some freeze PC for a few seconds(Jmicron & Nvidia I think) some dont.

4. OP
    OP
    neon_87

neon_87 RIP

Asus A8N-SLI Premium. Using SilImage 3112 SATA Card.

5. Rezin

Rezin Member

I've got two PCMCIA cards with Silicon Image chipsets and they both pause.

6. OP
    OP
    neon_87

neon_87 RIP

im not fussed about the pausing - im more concerned about how i remove them safely. Do i just wait for the drive to finish working and then turn the power off? or is there another way?

7. Rezin

Rezin Member

You should be able to safely eject the drives with that chipset, but I'm not sure why the drive isn't available in the Safely Remove Hardware icon. Maybe try HotSwap! and see if that allows you to do it.

You should always make sure there is nothing using (or has file handles opened on) the drive before you try and eject it. In the properties for the drive in Device Manager you should make sure it's set to optimise for quick removal.

8. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

I have the same problem with my motherboard Gigabyte 965P S3. I've just been using USB with it as a result as I only use it as a backup drive anyway.

9. CAMS

CAMS Member

That MB hotswaps fine and shows up in the tool tray under safely remove devices.

You need to use the 2 Gigabyte SATA2 (jmicron/purple) controllers, they are hot swappable the 4 intel ones aren't. In the BIOS you need to set the Gigabyte SATA2 controllers to AHCI, then in windows load the Gigabyte SATA2 RAID software. Though you aren't using RAID it has the AHCI drivers.

Any hard drives plugged into these will now be the same as USB or Firewire, disconnect them the same way.

10. deadeye263

deadeye263 Member

depends on my mobo, i've been using esata (vantech nexstar 3's) alot on a few different comps. On my main system its sweet, plug in, turn on/off whenever i want and it instantly appears and dissapears in explorer. however, on my mATX baby torrent/tv box, it'll pause/freeze the comp for a second when its turned on. and some of my friends computers won't even detect them. I've read that some mobos have weak sata power/signal levels and that the extra cable length of esata means its too much for them to cope with. A fix is apparently to limit the drive to SATA1 (if a sata2 drive) and then it will run slower but more stable over the longer cable.

11. OP
    OP
    neon_87

neon_87 RIP

Thanks! Hotswap worked. I cant access that option in device manager - its greyed out for some reason. But that hotswap program removes it fine. Thanks!

12. Rezin

Rezin Member

Have a peek in the Event Viewer and make sure it's not generating any errors, just to be on the safe side.

13. Zer0

Zer0 Member

I know that with the onboard SATA on the Nvidia boards the latest nforce drivers add the system tray icon to safely remove SATA drives. Previous versions never gave me the option. Dunno if that helps you.

14. jebusau

jebusau Member

Like some have mentioned, depending on the SATA controller / ports - the O/S might not recognise that SATA port as hot swap capable and based on that it will present you with options for safe removal while the PC is on.

If you want to know if windows thinks its "quick removal" capable - go to device manager and have a look at the properties of the hdd.

if the options to switch between "optimize for quick removal" & "optimize for performance" aren't greyed out, then select quick removal and you will get the option to safely remove - if they are greyed out (and most likely "optimize for performance is selected"); then you wont be able to safely remove it using windows - but if you de-select write caching from that properties page, then (although perfromance will be affected a bit) you will get less problems (and more peace of mind) with switching it off as you've been doing - this is because by disabling the write cache; you can be sure that when the o/s tells you the copy to / from the disk is finished; it means all the data is on the platters (as opposed to some still being on the write cache waiting to be written to the platters).

15. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

I plugged my eSata cord into the purple ports, I then changed the controllers in the bios from IDE to AHCI (I'm not using RAID) and I kept getting a BSOD when booting windows so had to change it back.

16. CAMS

CAMS Member

"then in windows load the Gigabyte SATA2 RAID software." The RAID software includes the AHCI drivers.
    Also are you sure that you set the Giga SATA2 controller to AHCI and not the intel?.

I guess your OS is on the intel SATA controller and it is set to IDE. If this is correct and you switch that controller to AHCI then a Bluescreen will result.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  17. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

Yeah maybe that is what happen. Hmm, I didn't see any other SATA controllers in there.