1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Connect laptop to PC to use its resources?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by neRok, Jan 25, 2022.

1. neRok

neRok Member

Work have given me a POS laptop to use whilst at home. It's got all the expensive software on it that needs connection via VPN to run. Is there a way to hook the laptop up to my home PC and share/use its CPU and GPU?

The laptop has thunderbolt, but I don't think my PC does (its an early model X570 mobo). If my PC did have thunderbolt, can that be used to do anything?

2. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Sadly not in a obvious way. Unless we are talking about rendering video or 3d animation software…but I doubt it’s the case.

Pending on your permissions, you may be able to setup something to remote into your work laptop while on your home pc. But with most work stuff, keep it seperate especially if a vpn is in play.

Edit: While thunderbolt can be used for external gpu’s I doubt hooking one up to your laptop and paying for a case and gpu is worthwhile.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  3. OP
    OP
    neRok

neRok Member

Spewing.

Yer I'm not doing rendering or anything like that that can be offloaded in a traditional manor, just general computing.

Even if it were possible, I'm not sure if it even would be practical for the CPU, considering latency and throughput and all that. But the GPU might be worthwile (but I'm not going the "external" route you mention). If the GPU was offloaded, the laptop CPU would have more thermal headroom and should therefore perform better.