connecting a guitar to an XLR mic input

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by nudge, Jul 4, 2009.

1. nudge

nudge Member

Hi guys,

Quick question, I have a audio interface which has two inputs, a 1/4 inch instrument input and an XLR mic input. Is it possible to connect a second instrument (for example, a bass), into the XLR mic input? The actual device is a Line6 PODX3, which can process the two inputs simultaneously (usually instrument+vocal, but i would like to process instrument+instrument). Just wondering if the electrical interface of an Microphone XLR input is adequate for instrument in?

Cheers!

2. OP
    OP
    nudge

nudge Member

Ok.. just did a bit of research and answered my own question.

What I need is a passive DI unit, which connects high impedance, line level, unbalanced output signal (instrument) to a low impedance mic level balanced input. Off to the shop I go :)

3. Pugs

Pugs Member

actives are better ether battery or via phantom power...

4. ojk007

ojk007 Member

yep you want a DI.

FWIW a berihnger active DI an be had for $90 these days, and they tend to get the job done pretty well. IMHO they're nice and transparent and worth the money if you want a DI, but by all means buy a better one if you have the money to spend.

5. Comma

Comma Member

Almost all the local venues I play at use the Behringer DIs. Very solid.

6. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

I've got two Berry DIs, the Ultra-G and the Ultra-DI, both are pretty much bulletproof. The G in particular has seen a lot of gig and recording work.

7. OP
    OP
    nudge

nudge Member

Thanks guys! just picked up a Behringer Ultra-DI DI20 for about 30eur, works a treat :) Cheers guys!

8. ojk007

ojk007 Member

Good to hear. We have em at uni (SAE), alongside really expensive and top grade gear the cheap berry DI's hold up. As much as i give berry crap they make a decent DI.

9. SquarkyD

SquarkyD Member

Get a nice bass with a hot output and you will instantly see where those extra dollars go. Also the bigger the PA the more you will notice a difference, hence why we ditched our Ultra DI's for a fleet of LA DI2's, tho the Ultra DI's did hold up to a flogging very well for the money. Still for my money the type 85's still sound amazing.

10. Kurt

Kurt Member

I've seen million dollar PA's with a drawer full of DI100s, they're the industry's dirty little secret I reckon ;) In my own system I like to use the GI100 on guitar amps whenever I can in preference to miking, no spill, predictable result.

11. SquarkyD

SquarkyD Member

No doubt!! we had about 80 of them at one point! How do you use the GI100 on a gutiar amp? thru the line out with speaker emulation or something? Its a big call given just how much colour a speaker will give the sound of the amp.

12. ojk007

ojk007 Member

yeah too right.

They're like the sm58. They work. Nothing fancy, but they work. And they're cheap.

13. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

You connect the DI to the head's speaker out and use the GI100's 4x12 cab emulation button. The DI's xlr output will go to the PA, and the direct out from the DI continues to the cab.

14. Kurt

Kurt Member

Pads man ;) Either I'm cloth eared or bass for metal is too broodle, but I've used horribly expensive BSS and LA Audio DI's and couldn't tell what the fuss (or price) is about... Seriously, at 110db+ can anyone tell the difference between them?

I usually run them in the fx loop or line out, or yeah, chained off the speaker output (40db pad ftw) The venue I work in is fairly small, the PA is usually only adding beef (quite a lot thereof) to the on stage sound rather than completely carrying it. Having said that I think the emulation is really good. Nice clean emulated signal beats "old speaker/hats/bass/kick" that the mic picks up most times ;)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  15. SquarkyD

SquarkyD Member

Well at 110db+ i wont be in the room to tell you :p Pads are just more things to put in the way of the signal, sure i use them all the time but i'd prefer to avoid them at the stage end. You will notice subtle things like a bottom end roll off on a 5-string bass, big dynamic handling etc, only if what you are hearing it thru is up to the task. Obviously i'm talking about in a studio or pro level touring PA's, nice DI's do have a place, but the cheapo's usually work just fine in small setups.

16. Kurt

Kurt Member

You've been to rock concerts right? 110 is pretty average... My little 5.5kw system can do it without breaking a sweat. The loudest gig I've done was measured at 114db at the desk and is by no means as loud as many big gigs I've been to.

17. Comma

Comma Member

110 is fine. Since I have -30 from my earplugs :D

18. SquarkyD

SquarkyD Member

Yeah, i've been system tech'ing 50+kw PA's in entertainment centres for a while now. 110db(a) at the desk is very loud, peaking at 105db is where i prefer to mix. If you were in 114db and didnt think it was loud, then your meter is probably running c weight, broken, inaccurate, or a mixture of all of the above. Some of the loudest shows i've endured were around 117-120db and punters were leaving because of the volume, i had plugs and muffs on, not ruining my hearing cause of some cowboy!

19. olie

olie Member

As above, minus system teching. 110db @ A is damn loud, but it also depends how far the system your desk is (Line Arrays aside that is.)

@ C rating 120+ is often seen.

20. Kurt

Kurt Member

Dunno, wasn't my meter.... I know it was definitely the loudest mix I've done on my system. It was loud but not uncomfortably so I would guess 114A would be about right.

If you're working at 105 you're still damaging your hearing with not a cowboy in sight....