1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Connecting Haswell Retina MBP 15" to 3007WFP and 3008wfp

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by mr sti, Nov 14, 2013.

1. mr sti

mr sti Member

I have a 15" retina haswell MBP and I would like to connect it to my dual monitor set up and not use the inbuilt LCD.

What's the best way to do this? I saw that there is a display port to dual link DVI cable, but that would only be useful for one monitor and its expensive!

Any other methods?

2. Renza

Renza Member

only way is to get a mini-dp to dual link DVI cable as your monitors don't support displayport.

The apple ones are expensive, but there are alternatives out there, but aren't much cheaper.

3. OP
    OP
    mr sti

mr sti Member

Thanks Renza. Might have to do some cost analysis to see if it's worth buying the adaptors or selling the monitors and upgrading.

4. Renza

Renza Member

haha the latest 30" dells will cost way more!

5. OP
    OP
    mr sti

mr sti Member

That's true, but they are for work, so it's only a small amount extra to upgrade, providing dell does another 30% off sale ;) .

6. Renza

Renza Member

Since the new rMBP has Thunderbolt 2 that supports DP1.2, you may be able to daisychain two U3014's together using the DP out port on one of them, meaning you'd only need to connect one cable for both monitors!

7. Azrael

Azrael Member

Cant you do DP>HDMI on monitor 1 and then native HDMI to the second? Thats what i was led to believe by a "Genius" the other day (of course he conveniently couldnt demonstrate it)

8. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

He/She was right that's possible, but you're limited to 1920x1200 through HDMI. Need to use something else for OP's higher res monitors.

9. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

Am I missing something when you say that TB -> DL-DVI would only work for one monitor?

The MBPR has 2x TB ports so if you buy 2x adaptors then you can drive 2x 30" monitors.

Of course you still have to weigh up whether buying the adaptors is cost effective compared to selling the old screens and buying new ones with DP inputs.

10. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

From apple.com.au/macbookpro specs page:

Both Thunderbolt/DP outputs will drive a display resolution up to 2560 by 1600 pixels.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  11. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Cool I stand corrected - This must have been updated in the latest models, I could have sworn the previous gen couldn't do it.

12. a_buzza

a_buzza Member

13. OP
    OP
    mr sti

mr sti Member

14. mrjayviper

mrjayviper Member

how about a matrox dualhead thingy. Using that for my MBPr.