1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Connecting iTunes/computer to home theatre speakers... HELP please!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by thedunnyman, Aug 27, 2009.

1. thedunnyman

thedunnyman Member

Hello all,

Firstly I'd like to start that I've tried this before and I've had no luck so I'm hoping someone here can point me to the right direction.

Here is the GOAL:
    Here is what I currently do:
    Specs for my computer:
    My home theatre setup:
    What I've tried:
    • Connected a coaxial cable (it is the same one I use to connect my TV to the antenna socket in the wall - this will still work right?) from the coaxial output of my mobo into the wall which ends as an antenna socket. Because of this, there is a screw-on adapter at the end of the coaxial to make it fit (would this adapter thing make a difference?). The wall socket is just coaxial and connects to the wall near the receiver - with another short coaxial lead connected the same way but into the coaxial inputs. NO SOUND
    • I tried setting TAPE/AUX1 to 'Digital input' but still NO SOUND.
    • Thinking that maybe the antenna slots are causing me trouble, I unplugged everything and moved them closer and connected my computer directly to the receiver...but sadly NO SOUND
    • I tried an optical cable - NO SOUND
    • I made sure the default audio device on my computer was the digital output
    • I also uplugged my speakers to get rid of any confusion
    • I've tried playing from iTunes/WMP and just other Windows sounds...but NO SOUND

I'm not quite sure what to do. I've been doing some reading and these are the next things I plan to try:
    • Buy a dedicated sound card. I read that you need a sound card that can convert the stereo MP3 files to 5.1 ch (Dolby/DTS) so that it is playable through the receiver
    • Buy a longer coaxial cable (one that wasn't designed to be used for TV antenna) - or is it exactly the same thing? I'm quite nooby.
    • Am I meant to use a program that can output to 5.1ch or something to do with passthrough?
    • Cry....:-(

Anyways, has anyone done something similar to this or can shed some light for me please? I really want this to work (and so does my brother). It would be great just to know which step could be something blocking my advancement, as I do not want to buy a good sound card for $100 for no real reason.

Thanks!!
    I feel like I just wrote an essay - but in much quicker time than I usually can do for uni...:lol:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  2. nanciepants

nanciepants Member

wow, sounds so complicated!!
    i know nothing about what ur asking about but i hope someone can help u :)
    would be interested to know how to make it work too... wouldn't mind that kind of set up in my future house :p

3. OP
    OP
    thedunnyman

thedunnyman Member

Anyone pretty please? :)

4. HairyMerkin

HairyMerkin Member

Can't you just go -digital out, to the receiver digital in?

5. Narikki

Narikki Member

he stated he tried optical direct connection.

hmm, update the sound card drivers for your mobo?
    or maybe the optical cable is bad/damaged?
    is there two digital outputs in your playback devices? becuase your mobo has both optical and coaxial
    i havent read much bout win7 so not sure if that could be the issue.

other than that i cant help lol

6. junglist

junglist Member

Firstly try plugging in a dvd player etc into the amp via optical to confirm that works.

7. x0nt

x0nt Member

are you playing music from itunes? do you have a home wifi network?

airport express

8. Sleepy Dude..

Sleepy Dude.. Member

Your not running the Standard Windows7 Sound drivers are you?
    Install the Realtek ones. they give you lots more playroom then the W7 ones do.

apart from that, Run BOTH Optical and Coax/RCA. your Optical should go from your PC to "Digital 1" with the Coax/RCA going to "Digital 4" (note: its actually an RCA cable, not a Coaxial one such as a TV antenna.. different sizes and styles.)
    In theory, My Ideas work, however; it probably wont.

Oh, and just so you dont get confused in the future, some pics of Coax Leads.
    RCA:
    [​IMG]
    Coaxial:
    [​IMG]