Console Fighting Games

Discussion in 'Game Consoles' started by elvis, Feb 1, 2006.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

What are your favourites and why?

Me, I'm a 2D fighter fan. I don't mind 3D fighters (the Tekkens, Bloody Roars, Soul Blade/Edge/Caliburs, etc) but I just find the play mechanics too repetative. Good for a mindless bash, but no fun for me personally.

My alltime favourites (in no particular order):

Street Fighter II: Turbo (also "Hyper Fighting") - Fast gameplay, and slightly more balanced than SF2 "The World Warrior". Still "shoto" (shoto = "Shotokan", as in the Shotokan Karate fighters, Ryu, Ken and their clones Sagat, Akuma, etc which all suffer from fireball/dragon-punch syndrome) biased. But still great fun. There was a PS version ("Street Fighter Collection") which will work on PS2. XBox owners might want to try "Street Fighter II: Anniversary Edition" which is a mish-mash of all the original SF2 games in one.

Marvel vs Capcom: Insane combos ahoy! Great character lineup, and quick reflexes needed. MvC2 is not bad either (way more characters), but I actually prefer the first - dunno why. Both are high on my regular play list however. MvC2 is on DC, PS2 and XBox. There was a release of MvC for original PS, but it seemed very inferior to the Arcade and DC versions.

Capcom vs SNK 2: Heaps of characters, heaps of variety with the "Groove" system which totally changes how characters react to situations, super specials, counters, defense and dodging, etc. DC, PS2, XBox and GC all have ports.

Street Fighter Alpha 3: Another huge character lineup with a variety of play systems that control your super specials. Faster and more technical than any of the other Alpha series. Some people complain about heavy "tier" bias (ie: characters are in notable groups called "tiers" based on their usefulness) but I still like it when playing against a good player who's willing to mix up their character selections. DC and PS (playable on PS2) ports are there. PSP has the "double upper" version (with extra characters, who are all rpetty useless, but still it's a port all the same). Rumour has it that Capcom are bringing out the entire Alpha series in a "classic pack" on PS2 and XBox soon.

Games I like the look and feel of, but have not played enough to fully understand:

Street Fighter III: Third Strike: Considered the Grand Poohbah of 2D fighters by some, I just haven't spent the time getting into it to fully grapple with it. Asides from the amazing hand-drawn 2D graphics that are animation quality, SF3 adds a new "parry" system which changes the flow of the game to be far more offensive (and much more fun to watch as a spectator, I must admit - no more "turtle" play!). DC was the first port (this is what I currently play) and is considered way too broken to bother with by most. PS2 and XBox ports are supposedly better, so I've made the jump to finally buying a PS2, and will be ordering an import copy of 3S shortly.

Gulity Gear: The first hi-res (640x480 is hi-res in 2D speak :) ) fighter. At first I was worried that this was being hyped just for the graphics (which I must say are gorgeous - big hand-drawn anime sprites and beautiful backdrops). I played the PS port (the original GG), and it was actually pretty fun, despite the low-res graphics and missing animation frames. I snagged a DC version of Guilty Gear X, which also was a heck of a lot of fun (and looks amazing at 640x480 on a VGA monitor). I'll be tracking down XX and Slash on PS2 soon. XBox also has ports of various versions.

Garou - Mark of the Wolves: the only SNK (and Playmore) fighter I've ever enjoyed (yes, hate me now for not liking the KoF series). "Easy to pick up, hard to master" is the phrase for this baby. Asides from the brilliant and smooth animation, the game itself is a lot of fun to play. Back to the traditional days of 1-on-1 fighting (no team play here) this is a really enjoyable title with plenty of worthy and unique characters to play (along with some old favourites from the good old days). I really like this title, and hopefully it will bring me from my Capcom bias and teach me the SNK/Playmore way of doing things, and be a nice migration into KoF. PS2 port available.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  2. sml_nail

sml_nail Member

I too am a big fan of the street fighter franchise simply because of the gameplay. Using different characters also meant that the technique used against each opponent changed which added to the longevity of the game.
    Once I finished SF2 on my SNES with one character rather than put it away I straight away started a new game with a different character.
    The little story ending bits were a nice gimmick too.

Games like Mortal Kombat offered better graphics and gimmicky features such as Fatalities and Test Your Might but especially the earlier versions just weren't quite up to scratch in the general gameplay.

I'm also a fan of some of the SNK produced figting games especially Fatal Fury and was excited when I saw the Capcom vs SNK release on Xbox but I found it really slow to play. (I also found this with the Streetfighter release it seems very slow to play as well but I suppose the game is quite a few years old now)

I don't mind a bit of Dead or Alive every now and again but nothing for a bit of mindless fun but I have found comes close to the SF2 franchise in terms of longevity.

Back in my younger years I was also quite fond of the walk along fighters such as Double Dragon, Ninja Turtles, Vendetta & Final Fight.

3. Wink

Wink Member

SF3:3rd Strike FTW
    Fighting game perfection.
    I bought a Dreamcast just for this game! :)

There's also a huge fanbase for KOF but I never really got into it. It seemed that each new KOF game released is just a slow evolution rather than revolution. Its graphics have also hardly improved over the years IMHO.

4. proffesso

proffesso Member

SF3 3S and CVS2 for me, started on the latter though, prefer the former. as wink said, 3S is fighting perfection. I used to think it was slow, after playing CVS2 all this time. but its really just great. parrying is the best system ever. much better than CVS2's JD's.

CVS2 on Xbox was a joke....EO mode...I mean wtf???

3S gets huge play in japanese arcades still (ClubSega always has good comps with plenty of peeps standing around)

CVS2 always has players, but I cant keep up over there...I mean A-Groove Sagat/Sakura/Blanka? its a speed assault there.

I couldnt get into GuiltyGear, too much air combat (like MVC) and there are all the others - Rumble Fish, Mark of the Wolves.

DOA is just bad

we used to play Rival Schools a fair bit, after Tekken...never really got into SoulCal or VF

3S - Gouki / Q
    CVS2 - K Sagat, Kyo and Hoah

some good matches here in melb, CVS2 is dead down here, 3S is still good.

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

The KoF games up until around 2003 where all on SNK's original NeoGeo MVS/AES hardware. That's a Motorola 68K processor running at 12MHz (yes, 12 whole Megahertz):
    http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=869

Quite frankly I'm amazed at just how much life SNK (and afterwards Playmore, who bought them out when they faced some financial trouble) got out of the system. With that said, the graphics didn't really improve because the hardware couldn't handle it. Garou is definitely the most impressive game graphically on MVS/AES, and is probably the absolute peak of it's capabilities.

However recently Playmore have moved to Atomiswave hardware:
    http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=812

Atomiswave is essentially a Sega Dreamcast in a box. 200MHz SH-4 processor that will do hi-res 2D games without batting an eyelid. This is the same hardware behind "Guilty Gear" and "Hokuto no Ken" ("Fist of the North Star" for we westerners) both of which are brilliantly animated hi-res games, yet for some reason all of SNK/Playmore's titles on Atomis (and their Playstation2 and XBox ports) have been low-res still (and quite often recycling character sprites instead of drawing new ones).

I'm hoping we see more great 2D fighting games from both Playmore and Capcom, but with some new graphics on hires hardware. That would be great.

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

See, that sort of play just pisses me off. Good players don't scrub, and pick a variety of characters. People who just hide behind Sagat all day don't deserve to play.

I'm actually playing around with Haomaru lately. He's surprisingly good. I need to play some more KoF and get used to the SNK way of doing things, and experiment some more with SNK SvC2 characters.

7. superlanboy

superlanboy Member

My favourites are:

For 2D: Garou MOTW, Marvel VS Capcom, Last Blade 2, KOF 2003
    Man i love those Neo Geo fighters!

For 3D: Tekken 5, Tekken Tag, Soul Calibur
    Namco for the win!

8. Evil ZeR0

Evil ZeR0 Member

my fav street fighter game was StreetFighter alpha 2 (the one just before SF3) i loved it so much but it drove me insane trying to get the uber move from akuma out.

i also liked marvel vs capcom 2 and Capcom vs SNK 2 also soulcalibur is ok i sopose :p

9. proffesso

proffesso Member

Sagat wins tournys, he's the man to beat. top tier right there. (like Ken / Ryu / Chun in SF3, they are used by the majority)

hoah's S.F is nasty as hell, especially for those untrained blanka balls, also his huge strike is great value as his invincibitly frames are like 4- 5, so you got time to hook one up right as someone is trying to super you...great match winners :p

10. proffesso

proffesso Member

I woulda loved a highres / effects heavy (3d tanks etc?) Metal Slug.

I hope SF4 gets the full treatment...as im sure it will.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

The "Raging Demon" is a real match winner. The trick is to do it FAST, and to make sure each move is totally independant of each other. The two biggest mistakes I see people make with that are either going way too slow, or holding forward for a split second too long which breaks the command (you need to push all the way forward and then return the stick to center before continuing on with the other button presses).

I've got no problem with people using him for tourney play. Tournaments are about winning, and are a totally different style of play. I have the shits with people who sit on machines in arcades and just use the same character over and over to show off to their mates/girlfriends/whatever. Casual play is about mixing up your characters for fun. There's no shame in picking a crap character and having a go.

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

Everyone's been hounding Playmore for the same, and thought MS6 would be a winner. However they just recycled a whole bunch of old stuff and spat out yet another low-res title.

Dolphin Blue is an MS style game that mixes 2D and 3D. Maybe something to keep an eye out for:
    http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=812#2342
    http://www.system16.com/screens/dolphinb.jpg
    http://www.system16.com/screens/dolphinb_a.jpg

OK, SF4 rumours are wild. I have no idea what's real and what's not, but the rumour is that if it comes out it will be cell-shaded 3D, but on a 2D plane. So the idea is that it looks like a super-fluid 2D anime-style game by using all-3D graphics in a smart way. Also supposedly it will add way more hit/damage points on characters so that they will react more realistically to an attack (unlike SF2, where a crouching medium kick to an opponent's feet would result in a "I've been punched in the guts" animation).

Again, it's all rumour, and there's absolutely no way I can back up any of that with a credible source. There's just as likely a possibility that I was spun a pack of lies and there will never be a SF4. I hope that's not the case though!

One thing for me is that I find 3D games slow. Not slow in actual game speed, but many times added frames of animation mean added delay in chaining moves. This is something Tekken is guilty of - often you are performing moves 5 or more frames in advance of the actual character onscreen. Yes, that's a fundemental engine characteristic to most 3D games, but I don't like it. I want my character reacting to my moves in realtime, and not feeling like I'm just programming in a combo for half a second into the future.

Anyways... with that in mind the challenge for SF4 if the rumours are true is to use 3D but in a way so it still feels like a traditional 2D sprite-based game. 3S was certainly a big change in timing from older SF games, but it is still heaps of fun. I hope that's kept throughout future incarnations of the game, reguardless of 2D or 3D graphics engines.

13. woo_yah

woo_yah Member

Street Fighter EX!!!

no wait,

Street Fighter: The Movie

hahaha :)

Seriously though - Street Fighter 2: Turbo on the SNES was bloody awesome, with the uber turbo mode enabled (using the keypad combination), that was just nuts!

Other than that, I enjoy the Street Fighter Alpha games (although as with the bloke above, I think I like Alpha 2 the most out of the 3).

Marvel vs Capcom 2 was awesome fun - played that a lot on the DC.

Street Fighter 3: 3S - just amazing fluidity of the characters, and whilst probably the least I've played (not very good with the parry system), just feels bloody good the play.

Of the Mortal Kombat series, I quite enjoyed MKII on the SNES, just had a good feel to it. :)

14. Bearz

Bearz Member

professo: whereabouts do you play in melb? all the arcades on russell st are dead (bar blue/green house, i think they're known as :)).

wouldn't mind some 3rd strike action myself. Tekken 5 is nice, but im too out of the loop. CVS2, GGXX I've only really played on console, GGXX is actually a nice change from the technical stuff, good degenerate fun.

man what i would do for a nice arcade stick....group buy anyone? :lol:

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

Down, R, Up, L, Y, B (add X and A for the Japanese import versions). 10 star speed fights were the best. It's a shame I could never find anyone else to give me a good challenge back then. It seems SF players are starting to come out of the woodowrk these days and go back to play the old versions again. Pity I've lost much of my skill since those days, but at least there's a challenge out there now. :)

I cannot stand the Mortal Kombat series. Compared to SF it was very primative, and relied on gimmicky gameplay, cheap moves and digitised gore instead of actual strategy. I've never seen anyone hold a Mortal Kombat tournament, and I think there's a good reason for that.

I remember in a small town where I grew up there was a new cinema that went in, and in it a SuperSF2 machine and a Mortal Kombat machine side by side. I remember seeing kids line up for hours at MK just to see the fatalities, yet none of them actually seemed to enjoy the game itself. After 2 weeks when the novelty wore off, they all came back to SSF2, by which time I was 2 weeks up on practice, and kicked everyone's arses. HAHA! :)

16. Force

Force Member

Street Fighter 2 Turbo: It is said to be the most balanced SF2 game ever made. I simply love the music, the gameplay, everthing about this game. I'm a guile player so I took on more then my fair share of Ryu and Ken players. But, the funny thing is both of them are pretty easy to beat. Zangief was a beast in this game..by far the best version of him in any SF2 game.

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

As i keep saying - make your own. It's cheaper, and you get the best button layout customised to your exact needs.

Himuragames for Sanwa parts, or Ponyboy off the BYOAC forums for Happ parts, $5 for a second hand pad to rip apart, and $10 worth of MDF for the box.

Actually, I was in Jaycar today and saw solid aluminium project boxes for $36 a piece. They were a touch small, but made for a nice heavy and solid joystick box. Might be of interest for people.

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

I think they nerfed Vega (Balrog in the Jap version) and Bison (Vega in the Jap version - confused yet? :) ) too much in SF2:T. Their CE versions were better (Bison's multi-multi-hit blocked psycho crusher was very cheesy, I must admit). But still, definitely a good game none the less.

I love Zangief in SFA3 and MvC. Final Atomic Buster for the win!

19. proffesso

proffesso Member

russle st arcades it is, whitehouse (cnr russel and bourke) was good for ages with cvs2 and 3s...but then dropped em in favor of more KOF98 machines :thumbdn:

group buy for sticks eh? only new stick im getting is the Byrdo... http://www.byrdo.org/images/Arcade Stiks/Se7en 1.jpg

now to convince the wife to part with $300 for a arcade stick.....*cough*

also i'd want PS2, X360 and PS3 compliant converters for it :p

PS3 might be easy actually, seeing as it supports USB keyboard a little PS2 - USB adapter may work....saaa who knows...

Elvis- Rumble Fish is 2D Cell on 3D geo on 2D play...its wierd as hell to play. maybe not enough 2D animation, or poor 3d (its just mapped grids, not real 3d geo) but it just feels clunky (but freakishly smooth)

honestly, 3s still has the best animation out there, and because its so fluid you can read those extra frames.

20. OP
    OP
    elvis

My missus wouldn't have a problem with the $300 I think. The joystick covered in hentai boobies might be hard to get in the door, however. :)

I've not played Rumble Fish. I don't even know if there's an arcade near me with it (Brisbane arcades don't tend to be as adventurous with new/rare games as Mel/Syd do). I might have to trawl some sites like ComboVideos.com and see if I can find some decent vids.