Consolidate android contacts?

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Jackolow, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Jackolow

Jackolow Member

I've just realised that across outlook, hotmail, gmail and htc sync, I've somehow got multiple linked duplicate numbers on my desire z. I was wondering is it possible consolidate them easily? Also can I sync them to my gmail contact list? I've been looking for something that does either and I'm quite lost.

Surely something's out there to do it... right?

Also how do people deal with having gmail import a whole bunch of email contacts that they don't want (say I'm part of a distribution list for email)?

2. T1tan

T1tan Member

my galaxy s does it within contacts... so you should be able to match them up.

in settings you can specify the type of contacts you want (eg. phone numbers only, etc).

3. OP
    OP
    Jackolow

Jackolow Member

Well the problem is that i have duplicates of phone numbers.. so if I go into one name, i can have 3 of the same phone numbers (with and without area codes)..

Its really messy.. I'm surprised Android doesn't consolidate it by itself.

4. T1tan

T1tan Member

you could try doing it with a mouse and keyboard in google contacts?

5. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Yeah i spent an hour or so getting gmail contacts perfect and now sync only with that. Makes it so much easier

6. OP
    OP
    Jackolow

Jackolow Member

well i've just opened up google contacts and it doesn't have any of my phone contacts... (no numbers). How do I sync my phone stuff to gmail? Stupid htcsense.com should be doing this but it doesn't

7. barese

barese Member

I was able to successfully sync them to my gmail contacts. You have to go into Accounts & Sync (might be different on an HTC, I have a Motorola Milestone) and then sync contacts with your gmail.

If that fails, do as previously mentioned and manually insert them in your gmail contacts, it's a painstaking process, but you only ever have to do it once and solves your problem.

8. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Yep Settings > Accounts & Sync

For each account, turn off contact syncing except with Gmail. After a few minutes Gmail will get your contacts and you can then organise them :)

Just remember not to turn contact sync back on on any other account or it'll just get messy again!

9. OP
    OP
    Jackolow

Jackolow Member

I've done it, and I think htcsense is stopping me from syncing all my contacts to Gmail. I'm not getting many phone numbers in gmail.

10. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Once you've sorted your contacts properly in gmail - the world is a much better place.

My tip; make sure you don't have multiples 'accounts' for people who have multiple email addresses. i.e. I had 3 "Mr John Smith" as I had his uni email, work email and personal email. After consolidating, "John Smith" has jsut the one contact, but with multiple emails to chose from (and can set one to be the default).

It's worth the effort - even if it does take a couple of hours :wired: