Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Gunna

Gunna Member

I've been noticing more and more articles being based on pictures, videos or Reddit post now days. 9 news is always grabbing content off there.

2. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I feel ocau has an opportunity for shenanigans here...

3. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Sysadmin: I already do enough of other peoples Jobs, I'm not adding your job to the list. If you don't know what you need, then you should probably rethink your career.

And in other new, /u/BigDick94 has claimed that water, is in fact, wet.

There have already been plenty of shenanigans... That Coin-Op Dunny in Melbourne... 100% Grade-A Bullplop.

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Developer: "Fucking arrogant sysadmins. Always cranky. Screw them, Imma go use 32bit because we'll never hit a number that big, and it tested on my desktop with 10 rows just fine..."

5. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Business Owner: So our development and Sysadmin teams fucked up again, How about we do the needful and outsource to India.

6. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Consultants: Give it to IBM

7. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

This is becoming more common place. "Journalists" scrape twitter and reddit for content to feed it to old fogeys who can't read either.

9. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

"101 uses for Grout: You won't believe #36!"

10. Foliage

Foliage Member

I've seen people check if less than equal to zero in case of overflow but never specifically handling the overflow. Eg in this case it sounds like it through an exception somewhere, and everything fell over.

It's more a case of not thinking about it at all, if you spent more than 3 seconds on it you'd just use a long and be done with it.

11. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

My allocated desk was moved, new area is noisy, hard to focus, miss my old desk.

More working from home days in my future I think.

12. Lou

Lou Member

I feel your pain. I was asked to relocate to another floor due to a new colleague being hired, for me to be in the office next to him to learn and be mentored, which is a great thought. He was onsite for only 1 day out of 2 - 3 weeks. I preferred my old office, the new office had a lot more noise and Sales people!

My old office was promptly filled so no chance of going back.

13. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Oh far out that's frustrating.

My frustration today is the number of times I hear 'what's the fastest way to get x' completely missing that the reason they want x is to demonstrate they have thought things out well and in fact, not rushed it

14. Daemon

Daemon Member

I've already had to explain database indexing to devs this year (already!!), based on the usual "but it worked in dev" scenarios where they had 10 rows...
    https://github.com/search?utf8=✓&q=`id`+int+NOT+NULL+AUTO_INCREMENT&type=Code&ref=searchresults

For more fun, the old VARCHAR(255): https://github.com/search?utf8=✓&q=VARCHAR(255)+&type=Code&ref=searchresults

Defaults generally stay defaults... until you hit the limit :) I've hit plenty of limits within the linux standard buffer sizes, arp tables and so on. It makes no sense to set them all to maximum levels, you increase where you know you'll need it or otherwise hit a limit and adjust.

Most non-MySQL DB's, the schema changes aren't too bad so it's really not a big deal.

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

There's talk of moving IT once again for production people to take over our area. I cracked it, because it'll be the 3rd time in as many years (more for me personally, who had to hot-desk around the place for a good 12 months during that), and moving the whole department is insanely disruptive (also, our space keeps shrinking).

I put my foot down this time. The whole "IT is not vital and can move willy nilly" thing got to me (and I'm in a bad mood already). Sod off and find someone who's not busy keeping the whole place together and ask them to move instead.

16. bcann

bcann Member

Do what one of my colleagues did when head office wouldn't give him time to work on a UPS onsite, kick out the power cable, fix the problem and then turn it all back on :)

Or just ask the CEO to donate some of his/her office space for that extra zing

17. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

A uh... rather large mob in QLD lacked some data validation on their website, and by sending a larger than expected header caused the whole site to crash because no one bothered to check if the size of the DB field was going to accommodate the data sent in the header :)

18. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

New VIP customer: Hi, I want 1PB usable of compute storage, NOW.

Me: we can give you 80TB of compute storage right now to get you started. For 1PB usable, it will take 1.5~2 months for orders and installations.

New VIP customer: can't you just go by 250 x 4TB hard drives from a vendor and stick it in your storage system? I can release the funds for the purchase today. Why should that take 2 months?

And a week of silly meetings begins....

19. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

i was asked to schedule some system rebuilds over the christmas new year break.
    nothing too difficult.
    rebuild 3 laptops from win7 x86 to win7 x64. add a bit more ram.

i was asked to do it during that time period because people would be on leave and it wouldn't interrupt their workflow.

not a problem i was only taking the public holidays off anyway.

book it in.

the time comes to rebuild the machines.
    i go over to the site to pick them up.
    they all took their laptops home with them.

ok.

i wait until they return to work.
    one of them says i can have his laptop right away.
    rebuild is done.
    the second says she will be going on leave again the following week (ie last week) i can have her laptop then.
    the third says she will be on leave the week of australia day (ie this week) i can have it then.

ok. book it in.

i go over there last week to pick up the laptop.
    she took it home with her.
    i speak to her husband who also works with us and he says she will give it to him to bring it in to me in a day or two.

the laptop is brought in.
    i do the rebuild.
    all good.

i head over to the site yesterday to pick up the final laptop.
    she took it home with her.
    she left a message with reception to say she would bring it in to me.
    i email her to ask when that would be.

her reply is "wednesday". ie. tomorrow.

thursday is a public holiday and we're closed on friday because it's pointless coming in for that one day before the weekend, but that's ok.
    if i get it first thing i have my rebuild process nailed down to where i could get it done in a day if i needed to.

anyone want to place bets on her bringing it to me at 3pm on the wednesday?

20. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Do it Thursday.

Get Overtime for watching progress bars while listing to the Hottest 100 and getting drunk.