Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the Epson hardware. It's almost indestructible (used to work in POS support for Bars and stuff... Seeing Kitchen slips come out of some Epson printer with 2 inches of grease stuck to it, was testament to how good the hardware is.

But not all software (or businesses) will let you use a Generic/Text only driver... When someone from marketing looks at the brochure from the Vendor that shows receipts with logos on it. There was no stopping them.

2. Daemon

Daemon Member

Nothing's free, but it can be a good balance. It doesn't have to be "us vs them" type scenarios. People make the same mistake with money, more isn't better if you lose your work/life balance.

3. Diode

Diode Member

In terms of job aspirations I'd say that is sound advice. It sounds by your comments the supply of good Linux admins isn't meeting the demand. I can only imagine that means salaries could reflect this? What would you say the take home salary is for a regular (not junior and not senior) Linux admin?

4. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Giving a bunch of nerds shit to tinker with falls under "making work a less shitty place to be". A good manager will know his workers... Some teams want to go out for beers on Friday afternoon, others would love nothing more than to play with some blikenlights.

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

This has been the case in every business I've worked for. Linux skills are in high demand, and businesses see the value in wide scale Linux usage (especially now that "Cloud" is an accepted, and now even demanded thing).

At the very least, you'll never be paid less as a Linux admin, even as a junior, than your Windows colleagues.

At the very most, you'll earn several times the salary of a Windows-only person.

6. Lou

Lou Member

I'm going by the Hays APAC Salary Guide app, it doesn't state junior or senior for this role.

These are all excluding Super

Melbourne - Typical 95K (80 - 120K)

Sydney - Typical 85K (80 - 100K)

Brisbane - Typical 85K (70 - 100K)

ACT - Typical 100K (90 - 120K)

7. Diode

Diode Member

They don't like Linux in Sydney? lol. Are we sure those figures are correct for Sydney/Melbourne, they seem reversed.

I guess those ranges are similar to a Windows admin but perhaps you could say there might be a solid 65-70k entry level base of Windows admins in small orgs. Though senior Windows admins being able to command similar amounts of money to automate and manage large Windows fleets.

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

I'm beating those...

I'm no Linux guy.

9. Foliage

Foliage Member

Are you working in government?

10. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Well yeah they're either average or median, I can imagine there's quite a few on the upper side

11. NSanity

NSanity Member

Nein. Glorified desktop, smb hosting infrastructure and project unfucking.

Gov isn't hiring directly (some exceptions in a few departments tho) and even if it did, they pay 15% under market rates atm

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  12. Diode

Diode Member

My thoughts are both operating environments when you're working in the large/enterprise space need similar talents, whether Windows or Linux you will be rewarded similarly. In more recent times you could say the Windows space has opened up and now using similar tooling as the Linux guys so the skills required aren't too dissimilar. As an example we're about to embark on tooling our server deployments with DSC so we can plug the same infrastructure build code on-prem, AWS or Azure.

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

This is biting the US pretty hard. Security boffins get paid 2-3 times as much working for Facebook or Google than they do the feds.

But I guess, the same thing happens outside of tech too (private security, etc).

14. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

And the shitty part is that you couple that with shitty ability for firing and you've got a workforce motivated by easy money with poor skills in the realm

15. bcann

bcann Member

I tend to ignore a lot of salary surveys, they always seem incredibly skewed and only show the top end, which lets face it not everybody can be. Its also one of the reasons i like regional work, it pays more.

16. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I think that people are more willing to talk about their salary if it's a good one too, e.g. our salary thread here on ocau.

17. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

The show the average, which can be skewed towards the top end, by people like Spiders George

18. bcann

bcann Member

having worked for accountants before its truly amazing the amount of people who have no idea what there salary is, and how many vastly overestimate it.

19. leighr

leighr Member

It's also in Hays' best interest to make people think that there are better paying jobs out there. They make money when people move, not when they're happy in one place.

20. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

My work makes it super inclusive so it looks better than it is