Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Yeah i'm looking at those numbers and even here in Perth i'm beating those numbers and i ain't no linux guy... :Paranoid:

2. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Are you guys talking about the average figures being out, or the upper ranges? And are you taking ex super or " package" (so hate recruiters doing that)

I'd say 120 ex super is pretty good for high level (true level 3) sysadmin and I'd expect some design chops and infra cross skills in related areas

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  3. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Ex super.

Mine probably get's pushed out a fair whack due to bonuses from increased gold production.... and it's been gang busters lately with the high gold price for us! :)

4. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I guess it boils down to work life balance too, mo money mo problems etc

5. Daemon

Daemon Member

We had the same thing here with mining. Boilermakers were suddenly able to earn north of 120k, engineers with project management were getting over 250k. Meanwhile, small businesses who wanted a boilermaker didn't have a hope and couldn't afford to pay that rate then local councils / government departments weren't ever going to pay that amount for engineers. If they do manage to find someone who will work for 1/4 of the current market rates, they're generally not the outstanding engineers.

It resulted in a lot of work being outsourced and loads more manufacturing sent overseas. Now that we have a downturn, there's plenty of trades being dumped by the mines and they can't simply slot back into their "old" jobs since it's overseas.

Hyper-inflating a marketplace wage wise can have short term gains for employees but long term it's very bad.

Wage wise, as millsy_c mentions it's about balance. I've done the numbers a few times and a 30% wage increase for a position in Sydney or Canberra meant I had less money in my pocket (housing / cost of living). Earning big numbers doesn't actually give you any gains if you're in a high cost area.

Have a look at the cost of living in Palo Alto as an example as to how bad it can get. Sure you can earn silly wages for the big names there, but most go backwards anyway. Housing prices have doubled in 10 years (average is now 2.5 million US). Sydney isn't that much better these days either, you have to earn big dollars there simply to survive.

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yeah, I know we've spoken about that in here before. People keep telling me I should move out of "sleepy" Brisbane. But I like sleep.

7. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Yeah taking into account tax/house prices etc, the wage increase I'd need to get to have the same lifestyle I would have in Brisbane just made it impractical. Unfortunately career prospects are somewhat limited but it's only 40-45 hours of the week after all. Gotta have a balanced life to be happy.

Pretty much, every time someone says Brisbane doesn't have as much on as Melbourne / Sydney or whatever I'm like good, this is a good situation to have. I can relax

8. Gunna

Gunna Member

I like Brisbane, feels like a giant country town sometimes. I couldn't live in Sydney, hate the place too much. Also it would be impossible to find an employer like this. Family is important, happy for me to work remotely as much as possible and I'm free to do my own thing. No micromanaging at all.

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Except the strippers are better. Seriously, country town strippers are terrible.

10. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

They don't call it Rad-elaide for nothing...

Come for the Serial Killers,
    Stay for the Wine, Food, and events in The first quarter of the year and nothing for the rest of it.

11. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I just learn and learn from you all the time. I never would have considered this when job hunting.

12. Lou

Lou Member

Same.

For me it's a 10-minute drive to work, I don't even have to go on the freeway.

More money always seems attractive, but when you factor in extra travel time and all the other sh!t. They even give me time to study. Very relaxed and very flexible.

13. bcann

bcann Member

In armidale i'm 4 minutes from works door to scotch in my hand :)

Less if there weren't 4 damn school zones between my house and work.

14. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Ahh that was nice in the Netherlands, a long delay at the lift at work was a material difference in my travel time. Here I'm >1hr to get to work

15. Dre_

Dre_ Member

I've probably spent just as much time commuting to work in Melbourne as I have on an airplane.

Giving a shit about the commute has pretty much gone out the window.

16. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Well are you guys pooh-poohing the avg figure quoted OR the high end of the range? (120)

17. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

The wine and food keep me going for the other 3/4 of the year :leet::thumbup:

18. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Agreed, as an ICT architect, I wouldn't be building a team without 2/3 of these people.

Canberra has interesting work, almost all of the 150+ contracts require clearance and can be very narrow in scope without much overlap into other areas. I chose to say hell no to it and enjoy more flexibility and brain stimulating engagements.

speaking of which, I wonder what nSanity is up to in town?

19. Luke212

Luke212 Member

did anyone else notice that Amazon FPGA nodes connect via bidirectional ring. does that 'ring' a bell to anyone? no glove fits all right :p

20. BAK

BAK Member

Are you trolling yourself now?