Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yeah, if it's at all related to finance, I turn it off but leave it hanging around for one financial year. Frustrating as hell, but that's the speed of your average bean counter.

We have fairly substantial tape archiving here, as our production data is large. I quite frequently just send masses of VM images to tape to be stored around for the next decade, just because I hate dealing with the above as a nasty surprise in 6-12 months time.

2. bcann

bcann Member

I agree, Why would you not just archive this shit off to (Insert archive medium here) and then place it offsite along with all your other archive crap so that in the case of one day needing it, it is accessible. We had a situation here where we the had boys in blue turn up wanting to know where a certain someone was on a certain date/time. Its one of them unknowable situations where dumping something off to archive saved a bunch of grief for us as we just pulled it up on the next tape run on the next monday (could've done sooner, but boys in blue said it wasn't that urgent) and spun up that box, checked it and gave them their answers.

I'd rather chew some archive medium and permanently archive it at a small cost, then have someone scream at me in 5 years time when lawyer x or policeman y or beancounter z "Needs" it then worry over that $50 archive tape.

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

I genuinely find the entire discussion boring. I can barely find a competent human being to do the work I need done at the best of times, and now the whole "gender diversity" thing is only making people concentrate on the wrong things (i.e.: arbitrary numbers, and not competent skills).

If you want more women in tech, yelling at hiring officers or people currently struggling with their workloads now isn't your solution. Go find out why females are losing interest in tech in highschool, and solve the problem there (because it's skills and interest at that age that matter). What you'll probably find is that, especially in Australia, K-12 tech teaching is shithouse, which is a whole other problem in itself.

I welcome any programme that puts more clever people in technology positions via better early education. By the numbers, getting women interested in tech is good for everyone, because it means the pool of applicants grows, and we should statistically get the pool of competent humans up in the same breath. But in the short term, avoiding hiring any arbitrarily defined group of people to make your social/political numbers look better is a recipe for disaster in an industry already laden with incompetent individuals filling positions (as this 1600+ page thread attests to).

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

People poo on me for Tape - but in terms of sending terabytes to cool/cold storage then being able to get them back and online within 24 hours notice - Glacier/Azure suck donkey balls.

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

Finding out how much important data people deal with is a very simple metric - just ask them their opinion on tape.

Cloud is a valid long term backup for you? Oh, how's that 1GB of Excel documents treating you?

6. NSanity

NSanity Member

Conversely whilst I hate pretty hard on ExOnline due to the myriad of differences both from an admin/management perspective and a user experience perspective - there is literally fucking zero reason anyone should ever build a Skype4Business deployment again, just use O365.

Re: O365 uptime. In Aus its fine - US gets hit pretty hard but they catch it, roll it back and then we never see the issue that brought it down.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  7. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

The $50 archive tape.
    The $500 tape drive that needs to be kept around and tested indefinitely
    The $5000 in Maintenance you need to pay to keep the system around to read whatever is on the $50 archive tape.

Find out what your requirements are around record storage.
    Meet them.

If Lawyer X works for the company that is suing you, and you have to provide 'everything' your old backups are part of 'everything' and may have incriminiating stuff on them, that you really didn't need to keep.

8. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Out of curiosity, what would you put in in its place?

We are basically a conglomeration of small businesses being run as a large business. We took a dozen or more disparate phone systems and replaced everything with a single Lync system (literally 6mths before they changed the name, after we spent a fortune educating users on 'Lync' :rolleyes: ) that gives us a single management console for the entire business. No handsets on desks, no on site box to manage, just one system for everything.

9. bcann

bcann Member

Yeah i haven't built a s4b at all and all new folk just go O365. point, click, a few DNS and off you go. I'm looking at going hybrid for our exchange server as part of the medical project so the staff going out there have @bcann's employer business email address, but it will be on cloud so we can scale up/down as needs change. None of the correspondence will be medical related, more payroll internal employee stuff, but it will be interesting as up to this point i haven't done hybrid, but have done on prem or off only.

And given our backup system is already tape and was picked for the business, an extra tape is $50, but the cost of the system including tapes was $10K with 5 year warranty, which was already going to be a business cost anyway. so overall, really the only additional cost was the $50 for the extra tape. If you or anyone else chose cloud, that is on you as that shit costs many times over what locally hosted does and always will and will only get more expensive, but you chose to outsource your risk so you pay for it.

*shrugs shoulders*

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  10. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Will you have DLP or something similar in place to ensure that this E-mail system isn't used for medical related stuff?

Do you need to?

11. bcann

bcann Member

these are folk out in the field, who apart from having an app, which says go here and do this and then go there and do that have no other access. as far as hybrid email using O365, its internal crap like pay slips, general staff comms, etc. Nothing that would be considered health info. And the app is encrypted and prevents copying data to things like clipbaord and whatnot anyway.

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

Ah, small business.

A friend who I haven't spoken to in a while rings up. She started working for some tiny little 4-person operation about 3 months back. Today, she "logs on to her website" and "everything is gone". Asks "can you help?".

Firstly, zero details. Can't tell me if it's a local system or a website. Can't tell me anything about the infrastructure, where it is (as in, inside their business, in the cloud, what country even). Can't tell me who wrote the software, when they last spoke to the developer, or anything.

I get some vague words like "database" and "supplier" and even "wordpress" (at this point I'm not even sure if she understands the difference between her internal data and her marketing website), but NFI about the rest of it. Whatever it is, it's clear this represents the entire intellectual property of the business, is utterly critical to their very existence, and a grand total of zero people understand how it works, where it is, or how to even access the bloody thing.

So, I armed her with a bunch of questions to go ask the business owners, including instructions to go back and grovel to whoever the fuck wrote the thing and get login details. Either that, or start building a budget to start from scratch.

It makes me wonder how people use something every day with zero consideration to who (if anyone) actually looks after it, and what they do if it stops working.

13. bcann

bcann Member

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

I know these things have the best of intentions, but I still worry about typing my passwords into random websites not related to the thing I use the password for.

15. roger895

roger895 Member

While I can understand where you're coming from, we use that site to tell us when services they've used their work email for have been compromised. Works really well.

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yeah for emails, that's cool. I use the same one.

We provide Google drive for folks here, and there's a lot of people who want Dropbox instead for no real reason other than personal familiarity. We explain we can't help them if their personal Dropbox account gets pwned, and they respond with "pffft, like that would happen".

Next step: we get them to put their personal email into the "has your email been pwned" site. Lo and behold, it shows up for Dropbox (and Adobe, and a few other things artists use).

Annoying dance, but it gets the message across why we want them to use services that IT guys control, rather than their own "shadow IT" cloudy crap to hold on to customer data.

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

The Cloud... we don't need sysadmins anymore.

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

Update phone call. Their little slice of the cloud got bought out by a bigger slice of cloud, and nobody knows what the fuck is going on.

The good news is the raw data has been found. I told them to start writing this shit down, and putting resources behind the business critical shit so it doesn't happen again.

Methinks they'll get it back online, and return to not giving a fuck, because small business.

19. NSanity

NSanity Member

I've seen what happens when you let dev's "cloud". I've seen what happens when you do even less than that.

Neither of these things are pretty.

20. OP
    OP
    elvis

Dude, I'm loving this whole "NoOps" movement. We've got a developer who keeps trying to take things away from the systems team. What surprises the shit out of him is when I gleefully accept, and hand over responsibility of important things to him with the warning "you break it, you bought it".

Oh look, 100% of the things he took over he broke, and had to embarrassingly hand back when he couldn't fix it. How about that.