Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. mr_death44

mr_death44 Member

still working on it, last update was about 100 pages ago. I'm either overqualified or underexperienced /sigh

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

As a young Gen Xer, I was always told I was a thankless turd who was wrong for not being more appreciative of being fucked over by my boomer employers.

As a Gen Xer approaching middle age, now I'm told that we're all depressed and have a multitude of mental health issues, and nobody can figure out why we're all dying from suicide more than any other first world health issue. Go figure.

100% agreed.

And specific to point #1, as I've said many times, if I.T. ever attempted to unionise, do regular hours and be paid what we're worth, overnight that would be the end of the modern world as we know it. Entire economic collapse.

3. power

power Member

vendors continuously knocking on the door trying to flog you shit.

JUST STOP ALREADY.

4. connico

connico Member

You're absolutely right MX Master was the one i was referring to! It has a mouse wheel but not a sprung wheel...

But you can still find the Rev on ebay new as well as amazon!

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

Where I work, vendors go through to the receptionist who does a good job of screening most. From there the IT manager cherry picks the ones he likes the sound of. If they give him the shits, I get my turn... :D

6. Diode

Diode Member

Also a big miss match on skill and talent based off PD. I'm pretty sure you can get paid good cash pretending to be in an IT leadership kind of role such as an architect. Draw a few diagrams and then get the plebs to actually work out how to turn your ingredients into a working reality.

Certainly wearing multiple hats is something that comes with staying in an organisation for a long time. I've seen other new positions spawned off the work I previously did for no extra pay. Though the good thing is then that frees you to do other things. The bad thing is when you outlast them and then they know you're the next best guy and then they don't want to re-hire. :tired:

7. bcann

bcann Member

I've not worked at a job for more then 3.5 years and often after them longer stints i tend to job hop more for the next 1-2 jobs after that (1-1.5 years) and then "Settle in" to the next job after that for a longer period. I Don't know maybe its just the side affects of getting older but i seem to be becoming like a lot of the older techs i used to see a decade to a decade and a half ago whose patience is running out and i'm becoming the grumpier less patient older tech. Unfortunately i'm not likely to win lotto anytime soon ...

This company and employees is more grating on me more so then most of the last ones, where people just don't try to IT, its always "Too hard", or the more correct words would be that their "Too fu$%en lazy" and i'm getting less patient. Maybe it'll be better after the week holiday i have coming up in 13 days, but i don't think it will.

8. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Cheapest new at the moment appears to be $360pp :Paranoid:

I don't understand companies that are allergic to making money. There's a huge second hand parts trade for people trying to keep these things running. There are people on ebay with them listed for as much as $560pp, and some desperate knob will probably pay it. If you're logitech wtf would you not just keep selling them?

Same with Nintendo and the classic they released. Sold out for the entire production run, so what do they do? End production. Has nobody explained to these clowns that when you sell things people give you money..?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  9. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Coming up on 5 years here...

It will be the longest I've spent in a Job ever.

I think I'm going to hang around until I get some Long Service Leave (just so I can feel what its like). and then see what happens.

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Downsize entire life, aiming for $500 or less a week for expenses.

Remote contract work, mainly project programming.

Spend more time doing other shit.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

I have three children.

Once the last one leaves home, I'm done.

12. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

9.5 years in my current role.
    I'm hunting for a new role somewhere else but due to the fact that I actually have a full time well paying job I'm being very picky about what I apply for.
    Consequently it's slow going finding somewhere else.

Edit: and now that I'm closing in on 10 years I'm tempted to hang out for LSL.
    plus we have some upcoming changes in management so I'm also considering hanging on for another 6 months regardless just to see if anything changes.

13. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

I'm 12 years in mine and have a skills loss from the market place that will be hard to catch up on without taking a massive pay cut.

Trying to push through some changes now but they seem to be resistant.

14. Lou

Lou Member

If they get past reception (telephone), I just say thank you for calling, but we're okay thanks and have a great day. They usually stumble and I hang up.

If they get past reception while she's on lunch or away from the desk for any reason and another employee directs them to me, I say "do you have an appointment?"
    They say "no, but..." then I say thank you for coming out all this way, but we don't accept unannounced visitors trying to sell. Then I walk off.

15. looktall

I usually do one of two things with vendor cold calls.

I either tell them we're not running any projects in the foreseeable future, or I tell them that all of our IT projects are handled by our head office in Brisbane. When they inevitably ask me for the contact details of our head office I just tell them to get them from the same place they got my details and end the call.

16. power

power Member

I have no issue getting rid of them, but sometimes you just get over it - and it seems to just increase if you are already a customer, they see this as an open door to start flogging everything in their portfolios.

Bottom line though, they are relentless.

17. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

You get it paid out pro-rata'd if you leave now.

18. Unframed

Unframed Member

Waking up at 3:30am to get to work by 6am to install a firewall. Give me sleep or give me death.

19. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

Installing at 6am before the work day starts at 7-8am seems smart. :confused:

20. looktall

yeah i would.