Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

Tags:
  1. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

Current ECUs readjust on the run anyway.

I'm just curious as to how much this kind of tech is required for new cars (as opposed to older cars).

2. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

Yes, Office 365 for Education Faculty and Office 365 for Education Student are both free.
    These are, more or less, equivalent to an E1 style plan.
    Education E5 plans have associated costs, but dramtically lwoer than standard E5
    Proplus for Student and ProPlus for faculty are also basically $3.00 each or less

I think GApps does it for free also..

3. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

They can only readjust within a fixed margin/trim from the basemap. Cars and modern ECUs are built to a price and have many compromises to produce a target power level while complying with ever more onerous emissions limits.

The consequences of poor fuel octane rating is detected by knock events and adjusted via retarding timing. Due to the difficulty of knock detection this is a lagging adjustment and limited in RPM range to avoid false positives (more expensive aftermaket ECUs and/or performance cars will use windowing to improve this). Thus an ECU running near the limit of its margin/trim is more susceptible to damaging an engine in adverse conditions (i.e. labouring engine, poor fuel, hot day).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Your sub 30K astra will not retune for 91ron. If it says 95 or 98 only and you run it on 91 the car will eventually shag itself and holden will happily pull the logs showing the substandard fuel and leave you swinging.

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Watched one show, turned it off half way, never went back.

Three things in life that shit me to tears:

* Wantrepreneurs
    * Smug fuckers with money who think they're good at business because they were in the right place at the right time by accident
    * Reality TV cut for morons that repeats itself every few minutes

That show ticks every one of my trigger boxes, and will never appear on my television again.

Hell, my wife is away at the moment, and free-to-air TV hasn't once appeared on any screen in the house the entire time she's been gone. The kids and I consume entirely streaming services now.

6. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

You aren't putting your sub-30K astra into a tuner :)

7. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Of course not, the tuner goes in the car silly.

[​IMG]

8. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

I don't understand how anyone can put up with the above.

The reality TV format in general shits me and I can't sit through it without playing bullshit bingo, much to my wife's disgust when she's trying to watch Masterchef / Cooking et al. That said she's finally figured out that Reality TV is just the same "personality conflict" plot in a a variety of different settings and it's just not worth losing brain cells over it.

Repetitive editing (and sensationalising facts) effects far too much content these days, just to pad out the airtime I suppose. I can't enjoy Air Crash Investigation (or anything made by Nat Geo & its relatives) due to the repetition, no matter how interesting to subject matter.

9. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

[​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Oh man, it really is aimed at the low end of the intellectual spectrum. Zero doubts. And having seen inside the belly of the beast, it's not much better in there.

What drives me absolutely fucking bananas is the constant repeating of content. Typically before/after advertising breaks, but not necessarily. I mean, I don't have a terribly high opinion of the average human being at the best of times, but reality TV audiences convince me the whole lot need to be purged and we should start again.

11. miicah

miicah Member

Yeah we watch Masterchef without ads (dunno how) and it is just insane.

One year I'll create a MasterCUT and I bet I can fit about 3 episodes into the space of one.

12. psyolent

psyolent Member

it sure does. those of you who use AWS and rely on MSDN sub for your dev/test workloads ; make sure they are running as dedicated instances or on dedicated hosts. otherwise you're not covered.

this.
    free to air tv is utter fucking shite. i have to pay for fuxtel because my wife won't sub to streaming services but everything i watch is 100% streamed. anything on fuxtel is plagued by ads (tell me why i pay for a paid tv service and still get ads, anyone remember optusvision, that never had ads) as well as continuously repeated content. crap tv for the sheeple.
    and then there is the news. unfortunately i cannot avoid that shit being shoved in my ass unless my wife is not home, then the TV is not on at all, but, i overhear and get dragged into that shit and just start raging.

13. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Those sort of masterchef cooking shows are great for 'watching' while you're doing something else. I struggle to watch new media because I can't just sit there and do nothing but watch. So I'll end up browsing, playing a game, doing something else.. Of course for shows I've not seen before this means I'm not taking it all in and lose track of the show. Because of that I tend to rewatch a lot of stuff, endless star/trek/gate reruns...

Of course with masterchef they repeat 2/3 of the show within the show itself, so I can multitask and still follow what's going on.

14. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

15. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Just installed the app ahead of Telstra Vantage next week (in melbourne). Nice to see they've published EVERY attendee's email address for anyone to view :Paranoid:

16. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

so you connect together and recharge your jo crystals

17. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

Carrier-shaming

18. Gunna

Gunna Member

Just downloaded it, thats an interesting idea :confused:

19. CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

That shits me too.

There was a great re-cut of some mythbusters episodes that removed all the reptition, and it ended up about 12 mins per episode.

:lol:

20. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

Hmm, I thought I should be able to modify MantisBT to show fields based on selection of other fields.

Apparently not? :mad: