Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

Tags:
  1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Luke212, coding on token ring at the speed of light, is too fast for your crummy security software to catch.

Ain't got no time to slow down. Got Linux admins to replace.

We did this for our ~5 windows boxes. Broke a bunch of applications. Zero fucks given. Linux SOE works, suggested people migrate like the rest of the company did 5 years ago.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  2. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I'll just leave this here

:lol::lol:

3. The Watcher

The Watcher Member

I know of a bank here in Australia that had a receptionist bring an infected USB key with a cryptolocker up to the IT department saying her pc was broken and she couldn't get to the 'important' files... (want to guess what was wrong with her pc???) What did they do... they ran it on an IT PC by the IT Guy... luckily they weren't logged in as a domain admin and when they saw what was happening they ripped out power and network from their pc.

sigh

4. bcann

bcann Member

Just use SRP with anyone of the million templates out there and block access to TOR.

Then you really can give zero fucks because Crypto just won't happen. and any app that still runs in appdata can go and get fu&*ed as far as i am concerned, damn lazy programmers.

5. Hive

Hive Member

Ahhh thankyou for this i needed it

6. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Wipe/re-install his computer and enforce the screenshot as his new desktop background via GP.

7. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

I have a screenshot set as my wallpaper on my desktop and the same thing printed out and stuck on my wall.
    The screenshot is of a comment made by one coworker to another about having trouble working out how to do something that I used to do but no longer do and it was something this person used to always complain about the way I did it.

I use it to remind me that people are dickheads and often speak with no basis in fact or knowledge.

8. Pepito

Pepito Member

I honestly don't understand the urgency of the average (ie. non IT industry) person to upgrade their iDevices to the latest software upgrade as soon as it comes out.

I usually advise people to wait a few days before upgrading, especially to a xx.0 version, unless they have a critical issue expected to be fixed by the update.

But no .... less than 30 seconds after they see that available update icon they're tap tap tapping on that install button.

Then when they suddenly discover they can't send emails they're on the phone moaning about "bloody technology" :rolleyes:

Ahh .. that feels better :)

==

9. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

10. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Why do technical people running bleeding edge rolling release distros build packages straight from git as soon as the dev pushes something?

It's part of the human condition.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

I already block TOR (and VPNs, and remote proxies, and adhosts, and P2P, and a tonne of other shit) at both the network and DNS level.

We might be majority Linux/Mac, but they aren't risk free. We also have a lot of guests and tenants in our network that I can't directly manage. So I need security between them and the unwashed masses, agnostic to any platform or OS.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  13. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Where did the shitposts go
    I was told there would be shitposts?

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

Here you go.

[​IMG]

15. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I can now sleep soundly tonight.

16. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

i wish i could.

i'm going to be up all night wondering where some of the "i"s went from some of the words.

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

Apparently it's some sort of defcon-style puzzle. (Or maybe not, and just something to drive you bananas).

You can supposedly draw a straight line through all the missing "i"s, which means something. Or not.

18. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

They are from NZ...

It's Confuguration

19. caspian

caspian Member

nek minnit, confuguration eh brah?

20. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Been doing a lot better with regards to my sleep lately, but I still think that it wasn't worth the cost.

Going through the usual Seek grind again today, every time I do, I am left asking myself "who writes this shit?". What the fuck is a service desk analyst? What does a digital team lead do?

I'm pretty much applying for these jobs because they sound like a joke.

I keep telling myself one day my number will come up, but that doesn't make anything easier. It just keeps me hitting that apply button...