1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. millsy

millsy Member

I have no idea how people can burn time on the most pointless shit, you give them a template, example responses and they still spend 2 days on it. Good help is hard to find.

2. BoutS

BoutS Member

Not wrong, reliable help who are proactive as opposed to reactive is also rare.

3. power

power Member

just the help? shit mate you are getting confused with management, overpaid firefighters who set their own fires imo.

millsy likes this.
  4. BoutS

BoutS Member

Dont start me, 1 director of the company thinks he can wave his hand and all of a sudden we are a MSP..should of seen the shit that started as salespeople smelt blood and started yelling it from the rooftops.

I never lold so hard in my life, honest.

/can_see_light

5. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

just put the directors phone number on all your MSP literature and put his wife's number as primary escalation point?

millsy likes this.
  6. BoutS

BoutS Member

Even better, let him deal with it entirely.

I dont often express definitions of my role however, it was quickly noted.

I feel for him, after his investment of many many many hours of thought (and dreams of grandeur) he has now decided to use another company, hah. That will go down really well with clients.

*invokes cone of silence

7. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Kindly explain, that if they start running the IT Dept like an MSP, 2 things will happen;

1/ The IT Dept will start acting like an MSP (Working in their own best interests, and not in that of the business)
    2/ Other departments will start going around IT, because "IT Want to charge us for stuff that they have always provided"

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

No matter how many times I see this happen, it still makes me laugh. People are ludicrously short sighted.

9. BoutS

BoutS Member

I have two directors above me, 1 listens and the other ignores and is happy for it. Living a life of ignoramus and appears better for it.

My advice is almost always a dream breaker, cause it involves investment, planning, policy creation, ethics and is not morally corrupt.

Thing is, if they approached me and said we want to do this and do that, what do you think we need to do to accomplish X and we want you to/or establish/run/lead it then id probably be on-board with it. As usual tho i'm a glass half full guy but i'm also a realist and they'd prefer to dream and fail, than dream, plan and succeed.

All good, continue with msp pipe dreams.

10. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Bitches love the MSP model.

It gives them something quantifiable, to put KPI's against, which allows them to write bonuses for themselves, for achieving said KPI's.

Everything needs to start with "What is the problem you are trying to solve"

Just let it happen, I always need new external drives for home :).

11. BoutS

BoutS Member

We had our Telstra channel manager and his manager telling us we need to get out of what we do and be a MSp for survival, be that business etc.

I nearly choked.

12. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

Ironically, the best way to run an IT department is to run it like an MSP: then departments don't use us as general troubleshooters, because it will cost them.

The downside is, any attempt to 'bypass' IT needs to be hammered down hard and fast. As a software vendor, half our installs nowadays are 'can you host it so we don't have to deal with our IT department'....completely forgetting the part where devices still have to hook onto the internal wifi, still have to be purchased, provisioned and supported...yeah, I wonder who will do that? #crickets

13. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

A pessimist is what an optimist calls a realist

Its easy to MSP if you want to do it badly. But recurring revenue hey.

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

Or have the manager of said MSP department have the guts to say "we didn't implement it, we're not supporting it" at all times - something I've never seen happen in all my years.

Invariably I.T. is insourced and de-MSPed, and gets lumped with every shitty bit of "shadow IT" shit that got implemented during the failed experiment, and said manager lacks the gastronomical fortitude to tell everyone else to go shove their shitty technology. The technical debt grows, and everyone is miserable.

15. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Best for who? the business?, surely not.

If you want shit outcomes for the business, run In-House IT like an MSP.
    If you want good outcomes for the business, Involve IT early and often, and ensure that any projects IT components are properly budgeted for (including maintenance).

Ironically, as an In-House Sysadmin, half our problems nowadays are Vendors who have bypassed us, and sold "hosted" services, direct to business units, asking why their shit doesn't work and "Why are you firewalling outbound connections on rando ports" and "Why can't we run our shitty sync service as domain admin on all workstations"

16. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

Or, you end up with computers in an organisation that aren't supported by anyone: we the vendor end up having to assist with machine support because nothing has been organised internally prior to launch.

17. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

Businesses bitch that IT just takes money and doesn't make it, therefore they can cut from that department as much as they want.

Turn it around and show them how much people lump onto IT, then it starts changing attitudes.

18. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Preach!

19. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

As an ex-sysadmin, I attempt to prevent precisely those situations. However, that means looking at what our devs give us and occasionally crying.

20. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Don't get me started...... when "just needs internet" is not just internet. Oh look a test PC on your dedicated VLAN can browse youtube, what now. Guess who inevitably goes in with packet captures to reverse engineer the actual connectivity requirements.

Its even better when they want you to open inbound ports.... per device, not even a managed jump-host or central server available. Whaddaya mean big-shot large-enterprise X won't let you open up 100 ports directly to IoT shitboxes. Why I've never heard of such a thing. Probably the only time you'll ever be complimenting and not cursing out your CISSPs.