Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

FFS dude, this is not the time of night for the the chronicles of george. Now I have to clean up the wine I just spat all over my laptop and dribbled into my beard. I hope you're happy with yourself. :thumbdn:

2. greebs

greebs Member

Wow, I haven't visited that site for years... heck, maybe a decade.

3. Dre_

Dre_ Member

How long have you been in your current job?

4. bcann

bcann Member

Muppets:

Click to view full size!

This is why i generally dislike relying on other to look after IT, especially outsourced 3rd party muppets. You can bitch about MS Exchange all you want i whilst i do agree that looking after one less thing would be nice, exchange for me has been bulletproof for the 19 odd years i've been using it. This post is not so much the product used, but the stupid amount of time to provide a resolution and its STILL ONGOING.

Whilst this issue doesn't even affect us at all because we host internally, why the FUCK has it taken this long and is still an ongoing issue? Can you imagine the shit storm if local products used on the LAN were broken this long? FMD.

5. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Over 2 years

6. samus

samus Member

People.

People suck.

We have a report. and software to build said report. Software highlights WHAT YOU NEED TO DO. Report is due tomorrow. Signoffs are required, date is hard, cannot be changed by anyone other than GM.

Get in at 7AM this morning, thinking awesome! Ill get stuff done.

3 tickets from 3 different managers:

"Report" is due, help required.

What have I done this morning?

You guessed it. Hold people hands and data-entry.

Fuck this.

EDIT: now that I'm thinking about it, I could replace a whole manager is this place with just a small powershell script.

I'm going to lunch. fuck this.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    freaky_beeky and power like this.
  7. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

/TRIGGERED

DONE == completed and working to the specifications as agreed, also time frame is agreed, if you hardset time frame then compromise might be needed.

Not delivering by the due date on agreed deliverables without any prior roakblocks being discussed and then getting all antsy and upset when told not good enough this is the real world and not Uni, there is no excuses for non delivery if you have not discussed roadblocks in the previous X standups leading to delivery. FUCK UNI GRADES.

8. Daemon

Daemon Member

It's because you need to comprehend and look at the issue. Managing your own email server if you're less than a team of 5+ competent IT people is really just wasting your time.

Now lets put a bit of logic to the issues you highlight rather than a misguided rant.

For example, EX128636. Read the notes:
    Likelihood of that affecting you? 5/1000th's of bugger all. Issue is still open as they're still re-mediating the fault, but have also provided manual workarounds. Effort required by you to correct? Again, zero.

I'll guarantee that your on-prem system won't be completely without fault either, that is unless your event logs are completely zero. Take out the "fun" of security patches and upgrades to Exchange and the $7/month to pay MS to take care of it is a bloody good option.

9. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I really don't like this answer.

On Prem, vs Hosted.

On Prem, 2000/2000 users are impacted by the issue - Issue is P1 and resolved
    Hosted, 2000/120000000 users are impacted... How does this get classified?

Same business impact for me, different outcomes for the users.

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

If 100% or your users affected then it is a P1 for you, any 3rd party vendor should address your issue as a P1 as per your SLA with them where your service is 100% effected.

Daemon and millsy like this.
  11. bcann

bcann Member

Actually it clearly shows 5 of my users are affected..... And because someone else fucked up 3+ Months later i have to do a work around. luckily my users were test users (Read not actual users) for a project that we were to do but didn't for a few reasons... either way for some of the issues i checked on office admin page for have been MONTHS and are still not fixed. that is BS.

12. Daemon

Daemon Member

Again, not sure why people need to read vicariously through me all of a sudden... but I guess it highlights why IT is such a hated field at times. Issue identified, workaround issued and the longer term update of the ticket is all about completely automated mitigation.

How would it be any different if you found a bug with Exchange? You'd still need to report it back to Microsoft and await them to fix it. The only difference is who's applying the patch.

Your original post had:

Whilst this issue doesn't even affect us at all because we host internally,

But now it does affect you? I'm confused.

13. bcann

bcann Member

We do host internally(For real users), but for a project that has been put on hold (Test users), we created a few test users to be cloud hosted to see price/performance/etc. Project got put on what will likely be cancelled status, but for now is just permahold. So we do have 5 test users (read not real users) but we are affected by this, just not for actual users. If the above-mentioned project did get green lighted it'd be 120 users, who either can't/couldn't access some folders, or contacts. Either way 4+ months to fix it is BS.

EDIT:

Gotta love their workaround -- duh just delete the second contacts folder (Dear gold almighty i can see our users deleting the current in use one, if i had to send this out in a mass email if we had live users on it) OR move your contacts from one folder to the other and then delete the other. Here little johnny, is a box of matches and a can of fuel ... now johnny don't play with fire ok?

14. connico

connico Member

Correction

Hosted, 2000/2000 users are impacted... P1 to vendor as its all your users.

15. Daemon

Daemon Member

So you migrated from an unsupported Exchange version (2010 or older), hit a minor issue and it's all someone else's fault since you don't want to use the workaround? I'm confused, why did you have such an old Exchange server in the first place if it's bulletproof to maintain?

Regardless, if it was 120 users then you wouldn't be using the standard migration tools anyway. Run BitTitan and even if it was an issue with migration, you just resync the required bits. It would take an extra hour of your time to complete.

16. bcann

bcann Member

EDIT:

Did you even read the fix, its to MANUALLY move the contacts folder and delete the additional one...???

We don't we run 2013, yet 5 users are still flagged. and the issue isn't with the migration, as the users we had were brand spankers with 0 anything during this time, so i'm guessing microsoft on THEIR backend had ex2010 and migrated to ex2013/16 and muffed it on their end. Either way 4+ Months to fix such a small issues (Ok no doubt millions of boxes on their end but anyway)

17. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

100% of affected users != Service being 100% effected... which is why getting a timely solution from the vendor isn't forthcoming. "workaround in place" = SLA met.

I'm not talking about this specific exchange issue, just hosted solutions in general... Sure, you get the benefit of the engieering that goes into make these giant systems scalable and reliable, but you're also at the mercy of being a tiny fish, in a giant pond.

Exchange 2010 is in extended support through to 2020.

We're still using it because it meets the business needs, and is bulletproof to maintain :)

18. connico

connico Member

I don't know who is negotiating your contacts but workarounds are not fixes. SLA are based on fixes and normal operations not workarounds.... I hope you don't just use workarounds to keep your environments working...

Tiny fish in a small pond is a bad analogy within enterprise technology infrastructure. Large technology companies have had a good history in servicing the needs of all their clients regardless of size either by direct engagement (cisco, microsoft etc...) or by the use of MSPs..

19. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Look back for Nsanity posts around getting MS to recognize and resolve an issue that was affecting one of his clients.

Large technology companies have a good history in serving themselves, and using direct engagement or MSP's to further that goal.

The big push to cloud services isn't because It's better for the user... it's because its a better business model for the large technology companies.

20. Daemon

Daemon Member

Wait so you didn't do a migration at all?

It means you're not even affected, you'll just be seeing the advisory because everyone sees it! Sounds like you didn't even bother to take a look, but wanted something to whinge about.... well that didn't work so well now did it :)

Extended support meaning if you find a non-critical security fault, they won't fix it. If you log a support request, you pay (and then they won't fix it). If there's a compatibility issue.... they won't fix it :)

I thought you on-prem guys were good at risk mitigation? :p