Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

One big one is better for entertainment, two smaller ones is better for work.

If I were rich I'd love to roll with 3, 144hz as well lol

NSanity likes this.
  2. NSanity

NSanity Member

My 30 and 27 are great for 2x2 on the 30 and 2 split on the 27.

Seriously considering a 38 ultrawide for work though (currently 2x24's)

3. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

freaky_beeky likes this.
  4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I don't understand that view. You can just as easily separate work and pleasure on a single large screen as you can on multiple smaller ones. The only difference is no bezels to worry about. My regular setup has my browser bottom right, email bottom left, administrative citrix desktop top left and more often than not, another browser window with youtube/twitch/plex/anything to keep my mind occupied while work saps my life away. If I need further remote access, to a users machine or another remote desktop, well who cares about email anyway :p

5. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

The speed with which I got used to using the touch screen on my new work laptop when I'm out and about has got me starting to wish I had touch screens on my office desk.

6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

People touching monitors is like my kryptonite. People even do it to my TV screen, lean forward to touch it.. like, wtf are you doing? BACK.. GET BACK!!!

The idea of a touch monitor is not at all appealing :p

greebs and dave_dave_dave like this.
  7. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

I feel exactly the same way about people touching screens.
    Or pointing at them with pens.... Oh my fucking god, especially pointing at them with pens.
    "You have 10 pointers on each hand, why do you need to use your pen?"

And I didn't see the value in a touchscreen. Until I got one for work.

8. Zedd02

Zedd02 Member

On a laptop where your hands are 3" from the screen? I can understand the usefulness. It would be pretty good. I'm kinda thinking the same thing.

But for monitors that are at arms reach (or more); I don't think I'd find any utility in a touch screen. Way too far away.

9. NSanity

NSanity Member

Why are good networking people hard to find?

and how the fuck does a CCNP Switch manage to fuck up choosing a switch management ip that clashes with an iDRAC in the same subnet, then document said IP in the VERY SAME DOCUMENT AND PAGE that highlights the iDRAC IP....

like the iDRAC IP is literally right there - you can see it in the same browser frame when you are updating the switch management IP in confluence.

10. Daemon

Daemon Member

FTFY.

If only they made some sort of utility to test if an IP is responding and made it standard on every platform. You could even use some sonar inspired naming and call it "ping" or similar!

I'm still amazed at the amount of IT people who have asked for the IP address of a server they have the FQDN for. Many of them literally don't know how name resolution works or even something as trivial as ping, so the "advanced" guys failing don't surprise me at all.

tobes, freaky_beeky and elvis like this.
  11. NSanity

NSanity Member

HE HAS A FUCKING CCNP SWITCH!#%$!#?><%?<>!%M!%!1

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Spent 3 hours in a meeting yesterday with 4 "engineers" who all argued that DNS was a massive risk to production, and each of their setups needed exactly the same static IP for certain pieces of kit so that it was easier for the contractors to memorise and connect to things.

I asked them what their plans were for IPv6 when IPs were too long to memorise. No response.

13. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

"Advanced" Guys disabled ICMP echo request/response for "Security" reasons.

True story.

phrosty-boi, Daemon, NSanity and 2 others like this.
  14. olie

olie Member

I always keep a handy diagram nearby for remembering out how FQDN/DNS works.
    [​IMG]

fredhoon, tobes, elvis and 1 other person like this.
  15. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Hahahahaha :thumbup:

RE touch screens, bit off topic but the Specsavers lensbright cleaning fluid (https://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/buyers-guide/accessories) < e.g. that one, is amazing if you have touch devices, or coworkers with wandering fingers. I've used it across matte and gloss screens across the years, absolutely destroys finger grease and leaves no smears if you use clean cloths. Hasn't destroyed a screen yet either too fwiw

That's one of those things I never really got at all, maybe to stop enumerating IP ranges or something I dunno. If knowing the IP address of a subnet means your systems are insta fucked, ICMP ain't your problem my guy. Not like that's the only way to find if something is online rapidly... Ping of death? Who knows.

https://zeltser.com/c2-dns-tunneling/

^ I mean you can tunnel over DNS requests (which isn't the same thing I know) but that's the kinda activity you should be able to readily spot...

*edit*

Learn something new every day...
    https://github.com/samratashok/nishang/blob/master/Shells/Invoke-PowerShellIcmp.ps1

Anyway if you've got a network you've segmented so heavily you're considering dropping ICMP in, maybe consider monitoring how often ICMP is being done and from where. E.g. one client I worked at was able to detect and alert if an unexpected machine tried to ping a sensitive one.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 9:45 AM
  16. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Its actually true for compliance if you work for finance . "IF THEY DONT KNOW ITS THERE THEN THEY CANT CONNECT TO IT".... If you can get in the LAN you're already half fucked.

17. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

AFAIK PCI-DSS doesn't explicitly say to block ICMP, just need to justify why it's in place

18. melatonin

melatonin Member

I'm been pedantic but it's 960 x 540 in each corner right? 3840/4 = 960

freaky_beeky likes this.
  19. NSanity

NSanity Member

SO I CAN TROUBLESHOOT SHIT EFFECTIVELY.

Is it really down?
    Honestly I have no idea.

20. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Happened to me. I was forced to disable ICMP to/from wireless networks "for security", and likewise change our guest WiFi account SSID to be an obscure name "for security".

I explained to Mr Auditor neither of these things actually enhances security. He pointed to his checklist, and said "but it says right here".

I've offered to change our SSID to "SecurityThroughObscurity". Let's see if they get it.

I actually prefer PCI-DSS to some of the stuff I'm doing at the moment. It's very clear they've jsut copy-pasted someone else's outdated security checklist, and have zero understanding of what they're recommending.