Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

What do you expect people's attitudes are towards an industry that is literally "professional creative lying"?

3. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

4. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Hive and elvis like this.
  5. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

I've been following docker for a while, its an excellent concept, probably a little too immature for production yet though.

I think it'll end up doing to virtual servers what virtual servers did to physical servers.

I'm wondering when they'll get fully working containerisation happening with windows apps. I'm looking forward to the day i don't have to maintain a full OS just for 1 app.

6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA

2c

http://pierrchen.blogspot.com.au/
    Read this really good explanation of containers.

7. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I use docker for CI build boxes, pretty swish. Not yet running any of the stack on it but am likely to push dev environments on to containers at some point in the future.

8. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

What?

I understand how docker works, I've run a dev/test on and off with both hyperv/server 2016 and ubuntu as a host os.

9. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Docker is just fancy BSD jail's.

When I can have containerised windows services that don't need to do stupid userspace / kernel space to work properly (IIS I'm looking at you) then I'll give a fuck about container support on windows.

Between now and then container apps have been pretty appalling and cgroups don't provide a decent level of necessary real world security controls. When container whale becomes Mack truck container whale with howitzers and armour plating, then I'll give a fuck.

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Well I guess you know more then Google and AWS who use containers/docker in production, you'd better enlighten them before they go broke because they are on selling that as a production ready tech.

11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Google actually have a product in Production?, Surely you jest.

Also "Google use it, so I should use it to" is Luke212 level reasoning.

Xon likes this.
  12. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

So what? Good for them. Multi-billion dollar hosting companies using containers, wrap it up boys the Google and AWS gods have spoken.

13. tobes

tobes Member

Google have also defined a whole new discipline to keep it running. Interesting read on it here https://landing.google.com/sre/book.html (been reading it on the train when I actually get a train that is)

The argument against Docker is it's not a hammer and your blog that gets 10 visits a month isn't a nail. Google/AWS are hyper scale and have built a shit tonne of custom integration around tools like Docker to get them to work for them.

14. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

AWS ECS;
    https://aws.amazon.com/ecs/
    https://aws.amazon.com/eks/?tag=duckduckgo-d-20

Google
    https://cloud.google.com/kubernetes-engine/

So some random on OCAU saying docker isn't ready for production has more weight? FUCK OFF... Docker has been used by fucken everyone for a few years now, only "enterprise stalwarts" afraid of being devops'd out of a job think docker/containers aren't production ready. If you made the statement about docker 3 years ago I would have agreed with you, but 2018 micro and nano services are for web based systems shit all over anything else on offer.

Then there is containers for desktop and mobile applications in use now today, lets chroot like is 1999 all over again.

OCAU is being infested with too many trolls with no valid points other then noise, go back to whingepool.

15. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

You do realise you just proved my point of docker not being ready for production yet.

Google had to build a full scale management and orchestration platform just to make docker economical and functional at scale.

Without 3rd party app management, docker is currently more work to manage for apps than rolling out pre-baked vms. Plus you know, the whole windows - nix container non-compatibility thing, so you need different bare metal hosts for both.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  16. 2SHY

2SHY Member

17. bcann

bcann Member

anyone have any experience with Yubikey or any other 2FA USB based key for Bitlocker Auth/Password manager integration to save lazy folk from typing/forgetting their passwords.

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Got a free one at AusCERT a few years back. First gen model, uses USB HID to act like a virtual keyboard.

Plug into computer's USB port, tap capacitive thingi, get long string entered via virtual keyboard.

Kinda useful, although you can't change the password if it gets compromised. I guess you just throw the cheapy key out then and get another.

Kinda cool. Certainly lower cost than a TOTP token. Annoying that you can't really use it on a phone. They've fixed that now, I see, with the new ones that do NFC.

19. NSanity

NSanity Member

I always thought the game of taking strange usb's from people at conventions - particularly security ones - was a good way of getting back doored?

20. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

What's the matter with you, don't you want to pay RSA 25 bucks per head protection money?