Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

It's scary that something like a TOS violation could trigger it. I mean this is assuming that's all true at all, but.. How many people actually read the TOS? Granted what the OP in that thread was doing was stupid, but it's a kind of hindsight stupid. The sort of stupid where everyone stands back and says yes you were an idiot, but something you could do without considering the consequences, without realising you were being stupid. The sort of stupid that you can only really appreciate once you know what the consequences are. And who would have seen those consequences coming?

2. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

He's a software developer. End.

Edit. Probably Java.

mooboyj likes this.
  3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

You say that like it's supposed to mean anything. Remove the specific OP in question here and insert someone else who isn't imbued with your automatic assumption of full understanding you're applying because 'he's a software developer'. Apply it to some other company that has nothing to do with IT at all? And then consider the multitude of ways anyone could violate googles TOS.

BoutS likes this.
  4. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Not many normal people would bother to learn how to rip out/clone .apk files from their phone. Sorta like asking your mum to set up a Raspberry PI. Thus would never be in the above situation. The knowledge required puts the OP in a "I should know better" circle, but the killer (what trips it) is the financial transactions (refunds for items purchased). Once money is involved, business gets suspicious. Once money is involved and you are claiming refunds then sending their IP out? yeah... no sympathy. It's calculated stupidity.

I must admit I am fairly jaded because most of the Java Dev's I've met are experts at kicking problems (bad code, bad architecture) down the road.

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I call complete bullshit. We get warning emails on the slightest shit going on in our domain (emails to our primary accounts and backup accounts on a non-related domain, in case our domain is fucked).

Alert emails I've seen include

* User's IP changed suddenly, logged in from overseas (user at home on a personal VPN, and/or user actually travelled overseas for reals)
    * User's Google OAuth ID was used to log into some dodgy site that's previously tried to hack OAuth IDs
    * User initiated a portscan from our public IP that's registered with Google as a whitelisted SMTP-out node

And dozens of others. Some massive policy violation is going to trigger all sorts of red flags.

From the Reddit article, it sounds like it's an SMB (he mentions the cost to the business, and the scale seems small). If I were a betting man, it sounds like an SMB with no full-time sysadmin, and the alerts all got ignored multiple times.

Daemon likes this.
  6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

That kind of stupid is definitely. NET.

Luke212 and Soarer GT like this.
  7. power

power Member

8. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

rmstinfoilhat.jpg

host your own damn mail server people

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

Can you imaging that dickhead hosting his own mail server?

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Probably use 10GB Token Ring zero latency WiFi.

Daemon, dave_dave_dave and elvis like this.
  11. greebs

greebs Member

That was my thought too - there's probably an unmonitored mailbox out there with a whole bunch of warnings and final warnings. Just like those people who say their registry never warned them their domain is expiring.

elvis likes this.
  12. bcann

bcann Member

Or their Drivers License or their Car Rego...

greebs likes this.
  13. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Isn't no full-time sysadmin, one of the driving points of moving to hosted services? If I'm paying someone else to manage my mail, I shouldn't need to hire a sysadmin to manage the company managing my mail.

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

In G-Suite you need to nominate at least one account and one failback address to get warnings.

Even with no sysadmin, you should have a "non-idiot" user who can understand that a warning of a TOS violation is probably going to fuck your business.

What this tells me is that the business in question either had zero non-idiots, and/or the non-idiots weren't the ones getting the emails.

If I had a customer that was blatantly doing dumb/illegal shit with a service I was selling, which in turn could be reflected poorly on me, and I'd warned them in writing a dozen times to knock it off, I'd shitcan their service too.

This business needs to sack a minimum of two people: the fuckwit doing the wrong thing in the first place, and the fuckwit who didn't respond to the dozen warnings about the first fuckwit.

Daemon and greebs like this.
  15. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

ENTERPRISE! ENTERPRIZE! ENTERPRISE! ENTERPRIZE! ENTERPRISE! ENTERPRIZE! ENTERPRISE! ENTERPRIZE! WE ARE ENTERPRIZE!!!

"We need a beast of a server with at least 24 cores per client! "

Nek Minnit...
    *builds single threaded application...*

.... Mother Fu....

Daemon, mooboyj, tobes and 3 others like this.
  16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

genuine :lol::lol::lol:

exodushunter likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    elvis

Word for word my experience in enterprise finance.

And what made me happiest was when I provided:

1) Graphs of CPU usage, with 23 idle cores and one flatline core

2) Benchmarks of real-world processing loads being faster on an 8-core shitbox with twice the clockspeed and one tenth the cost of the 24-core enterprise beast

Many upset individuals in that meeting. Most of all the CIO because he knew he was going to lose a golfing invite once $vendor found out they were being made look the fool.

mooboyj, bcann and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  18. exodushunter

exodushunter Member

Very accurate... :sick:

19. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

But... was it a Java dev house?

20. OP
    OP
    elvis

COBOL.

Which, I have been informed, stands for COmplete BOLlocks.

phrosty-boi, NSanity and Hive like this.