Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

It crossed my mind. But again, I was so completely and emotionally done with that place.

And I was *very* drunk, and not looking forward to the following day's hangover.

2. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

https://4sysops.com/archives/use-dism-to-slipstream-updates/

If you've already got stuff in the base WIM it probably won't be much help as you can't slipstream in feature upgrades.. In that case, you'd be better off either creating a new TS that will let you swap out the WIM or create a build and capture that every time you swap out the WIM when a new feature upgrade comes out.

Easiest but longest option (Also laziest), tell MDT to update at the end of the TS and mark the 1803 upgrade as approved or kick off an inplace upgrade.

tree86ers likes this.
  3. Tinian

Tinian Member

That's everyone's experience in IT isn't it? Multiple clients, multiple requests and no vision or recognition of competing demands. While I'm all for flat management structures, this is why we invent gates.

4. tree86ers

tree86ers Member

Thanks mate
    yeah I am looking at updating the existing TS with base wim and app installs instead of baking them in. hopefully this would save some of the headaches i have been experiencing

would really like to use this for the client I am doing this for.. but they are far from that point

5. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

If you have no budget, take a number.

If you have money, present it, and we can bring in resources to service you.

6. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Are you removing superceded updates from the wim?
    Do you have any applications baked into the wim?

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

I'm 100% with you guys.

But I've spent 6 years (to the day - my anniversary was yesterday) trying to make a crack in the creative industries to sell the idea of planning and order in IT service. I feel like I've made zero progress. And I also feel like I'm working with a bunch of folk who have such insane stockholm syndrome that any progress I could make would be undone in a moment, the first time an angry Hollywood producer screams at someone (which is every 15 minutes or so, on average).

So now I'm at the point where I question whether or not I persist swimming against the tide, or just try something different. Someone mentioned cushy government jobs. Maybe it's time I embrace my old age, and just join the herd.

8. bcann

bcann Member

Very much this :)

Attached Files:

elvis likes this.
  9. looktall

Hah.
    Good luck.

The way you talk about vendor lock-in and things being done a certain way because that's the way they've always been done and people being allergic to change leads me to believe you would commit suicide within a week of starting a government gig.

If you're gonna give up and just go with the flow at least do it in an industry that's interesting like you're in now.

freaky_beeky and elvis like this.
  10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

101 - How to make it in public sector.
    [​IMG]

mooboyj, BoutS and elvis like this.
  11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Becoming a clock-puncher can be liberating in many ways.

elvis likes this.
  12. Tinian

Tinian Member

It's a pity that people with considerable experience and expertise don't migrate into the PS. There could be considerable productive benefits and efficiencies realised if departments became technology agnostic and not beholden to MSPs reselling product farms.

BoutS and fredhoon like this.
  13. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

DISM takes care of that, there's no need to remove superseded updates.

https://www.systemcenterdudes.com/sccm-offline-servicing/

No, its too much of a PITA to manage.

14. shredder

shredder Member

Surely you could contract out your skills for some fat stacks..? + work part-time in the wife's business on the side.

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

That's the long term plan. Kids+Mortgage+ConservativePersonality make me wary of that for now.

16. bcann

bcann Member

Ugh Pre-friday rant.

God people just seem utterly incapable of putting one foot in front of the other, its a fucken wonder there aren't bodies all over the place i swear to god.

Trying to switch banks, finally find one that does what i want (Trying to move away from carrying a wallet around and want to carry the least amount of cards in my new phone case that has a few card slots in it), so do the needful and fill in the online app for the c/c. Get to the end and as expected need to upload 2 payslips, think no worries will do it in app, but fuck no there is no in app upload, must email or fax them. So i email the fuckers within minutes. Come 3 days later hear nothing so i ring up, nope sorry haven't received the emails, i think you damn well have, i run my own server and will HAPPILY email you a copy of the SMTP Server conversation between my server and your server showing it was handed off, but i of course go sure i'll re-email them AGAIN. Then driving around today to go to lunch with the misses and nearly run over some silly person, standing smack bang in the middle of the road, looking in totally the opposite direction then what she should be, no more then 3 metres from a marked pedestrian crossing, so i of course beep the stupid woman, and get a nice foul mouth and the finger, i think Should do the world a favour, but i do not and slow down whilst she continues her tirade at me.

Then there are my special users, who always play the "IT is black magic i refuse to touch it", who just wander in, completely interrupt me from what i was doing with another user and barge right past them and say ... such and such isn't working, and sure enough they just merely can't type in or remember their password that they only recently had changed the other day due to the EXACT SAME REASON....

It just seems today, that everytime i TRY to get something accomplished some muppet calls me with something that they either didn't bother following my nice easy how to guide with pretty pictures, or they just can't merely be bothered working and just blame whatever piece of technology they are given and the fact that it is often just their password.

Today i am just over it and better off just going home before i lose my shit...

17. tobes

tobes Member

I worked for an awesome Company that was acquired by a company starting with O and rhyming with FuckKnuckle. I would not work for them by choice.
    They pull this shit all the time. When I found my next gig and resigned they turned around and said "we'll fire your old boss and you can have his role and a big payrise".
    My response was a big fuck you, you should have respected me enough to give me the raise earlier etc etc.
    That was a year ago.
    They just did it with a colleague as well. "We don't want to lose you...." Too fucking late. Treat your staff better and they won't go else where.

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yeah, I'm tired of that line. It's pretty easy to keep me - indeed, I'll put up with a whole lot more shit than most tantrum throwing mouth breathers. Just pay me well, and give me space to do the shit I need to do for 20% of my working week, rather than hounding me 16 hours a day because said mouth-breathers didn't plan their shit.

freaky_beeky likes this.
  19. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

To be fair, its good bizness to pay good people the minimum you can, while keeping them.

Imposter Sydnrome, being ripe amongst IT staff, provide a great environment for Buizness to take advantage.

20. looktall

my last place doesn't play that game.

if you tell them you're leaving they just assume they're better off without you and let you go.

tobes and elvis like this.