1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. ex4n

ex4n Member

I lined up a new job last week, my tattoos or 20mm stretched lobes weren't even mentioned, all they cared about was if I could do the job or not, it was nice :) Mine are not really visible though unless i'm wearing a t-shirt. No more MSP land or customers now either, yay.

Unframed likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The one where I'm happy, and not hating 1/3 of my adult life.

(Disclaimer: I am 3 pints in, and not hating life currently).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    NSanity likes this.
  3. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Affordable upgradable workstations. /sarcasm

[​IMG]

Source

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

AUD $10K fully specced. Tell me again why non-iOS Mac sales are plummeting?

5. bcann

bcann Member

In the last 2 decades, shit maybe 3 have they ever been more then a rounding error/margin of error of the sample? *Dons MAC Lovers flame proof suit*

6. Unframed

Unframed Member

It's them immigrants, even when it was the bears I knew it was them.

I get that macs aren't cheap to manufacture and such but how they justify the asking price is beyond me.

7. chook

chook Member

But when you are 3 pints out and hungover (hanged over?) af you will most definitely be hating life ;).

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

Takes more than 3 pints to give this old fart a hangover. Call me after a dozen.

9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

How are they different from a Xiaomi Mi laptop to produce? yes specs are a little better with retina screen but the rest is the same shit so a screen costs $4K to buy and install?

HEY hows it going, after a dozen?

[​IMG]

BAK likes this.
  10. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Spot on. IDGAF but my customers may, so if I have options id take the less risky one.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

More and more I'm thankful that I get to choose the sorts of places I work for, and by virtue of that the sorts of customers I get.

Life isn't worth bad customers.

bcann likes this.
  12. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

It's nice to be in a position to choose, not everyone is in that position.

This advice is of a general nature only and does not take into account your circumstances or needs. You must decide if this information is suitable to your personal situation.

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

For the third time this week, it's no secret how I got to this position. And I continually advise others on how to get to this position, all the while listening to them tell me I'm wrong and they should follow the low-end mainstream trends, rather than the actual high end demand.

But, whatever. Those folks are welcome to their banal corporate offices, strict dress codes, pay ceilings, all the while telling me how "lucky" I am for making a sensible, yet obvious decision.

14. NSanity

NSanity Member

cheeky Friday work pints are tops.

Daemon, olie, 2SHY and 1 other person like this.
  15. j3ll0

j3ll0 Member

If I had to speculate, I would suggest that the success you've enjoyed over your career has less to do with OSS, and more to do with your ability to assimilate information and solve problems. You've said yourself multiple times that if MS-Whatever was the best tool for the job you'd use it (and presumably master it to the extent you've mastered linux). From that observation comes a couple of things:
    1/ something something supply & demand linux guys
    2/ problem solver (logic department I think you've called it in the past) versus (linux guy OR windows guy)
    3/ how many orgs are there that rely on wringing every last cycle out of their kit?

In short, I reckon its more complicated than:
    1. Learn Linux.
    2. ...?
    3. Profit!

Funnily enough, I reckon that university level study, which is oh so fashionable to shit on at the moment, is where folks learn to develop and use models to solve problems as opposed to all I've got is a hammer self taught guys.

Dunno what that has to do with face tattoos but.

fredhoon likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    elvis

I agree. But why are all the Linux dudes getting paid more and working for more interesting companies than all the Windows dudes? Conversely, why do all the interesting places use Linux rather than Windows?

So do I. I think a certain type of non-conformist is attracted to Linux in the first place, you see...

17. bcann

bcann Member

First off, interesting is subjective.

Secondly supply and demand.

18. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

So you want to profit... just be better than the cattle pretty simple, no different to any other field, know your shit and don't be shit and improve your face to face people skills.

19. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I'd like a few Pints of confirmation bias thanks barkeep.

20. OP
    OP
    elvis

Fair enough. If wrangling Excel spreadsheets for corporates is your thing, that's super. I'm probably the most pro-diversity guy you'll ever meet, so I get that not everyone likes what I like. But ho boy, I don't like the idea of doing that for 40 hours a week. That'd be a short trip to a short rope for me.

Yeah, I think that's a bit of a shallow summary. Daily (and I do mean daily) I get people in IT asking me how to break free from the doldrums of their environment and do something "bigger and better". I ask these folks what they want to do, and they all rattle off a dozen large companies they'd love to work for, non of whom would touch your average Wintel dude with a 10 foot barge pole.

The knowledge requirements for these roles aren't unknown. All of these "interesting" (as above, subjective) places are quite verbose in the technologies they use, whether that be officially on their websites, or unofficially through blogs and social media. So if the demand is high, and the supply is low, why aren't all these folks who are supposedly desperate to escape their boring jobs climbing over each other to learn the skills in demand, get the job and, get paid?