Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Gunna

Gunna Member

Does not compute.

Failure to disclose, we will make an assumption on your usage.

even better, got any WinNT, Win2000 or Windows 98 OEM licences around to add to the spreadsheet?

2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Do you *know* this?

3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when one of those M$ audits is sent to somewhere like ubuntu or redhat, because you know some 3rd party contracted audit shop has been clueless enough to do it.

Unframed likes this.
  4. Daemon

Daemon Member

They're all outsourced and don't care, nor would they even comprehend who RedHat even are. Most do really silly things like ask for access to your entire virtualisation stack or give some really horrid "audit" software to run on every machine. Some are really lazy and just send a spreadsheet. Last one I had did the whole "legal action" thing when I told them to shove it, I was even kind enough to provide the mailing address of our legal counsel so that they didn't have to Google for it :)

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Will a spreadsheet that has to be manually filled in by a human help us *know* this?

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Yes

7. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Number of PC’s in org running windows - 0

“Well, you learn something new everyday”

8. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Fine for running Office for Mac Unlicensed: Not Zero

But you didn't know about it, because Mary in Accounting got the Previous guy to install to install it for her, using her Student Key, and shes been using it, because Libre Office doesn't calculate her 19 linked spreadsheets correctly.

9. olie

olie Member

Mary needs her PivotTables to survive; and damn it, she has spent the last 6 months creating those relationships between her sheets, she ain't giving it all up for some rational reporting software.

10. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

[​IMG]

Float like a float box, sting like an automatic stinging machine

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Bullshit.

12. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

^This. I've told them to go shove it 3 times and nothing happens. You just need to make their job harder than the next company. Ask someone on their end to fill out and sign an NDA for security reasons. Make shit up like... Running non-whitelisted software will break PCI compliance if you want to string it along.

Daemon likes this.
  13. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

He has a point you know. If you filled out the spreadsheet it'd mean you had to buy a license to do so, so you'd know that software was licensed. How do you know the software you don't have is correctly licensed? I mean, have you read M$' t&c's???

[​IMG]

14. j3ll0

j3ll0 Member

Meanwhile, back at Deloitte....

A freshly minted 19 year old Bachelor of Business graduate of Hyberadad Institute of Technology leans back, whistles softly and tunelessly, and re-reads the latest "RE: MS License Audit" to hit his Inbox. It doesn't make any more sense the second time the Senior Enterprise and Government Customer Audit Engagement Manager reads it. He ponders briefly before looking across the open plan office to lock eyes with his manager and wordlessly summon the manager to his cubicle.

The 20 year old Senior Vice President of Enterprise Software Compliance (APAC) bends at the waist to read the e-mail over his subordinate's shoulder. It makes no more sense to his seasoned corporate veteran eyes than it did the 'fresher' he's gently introducing to the ways of the world.

"OK. Here's what we do. Charge the <internal cost code for Microsoft, licensing audit project> for 2 hours. Put in an hour for me. Drop a reminder in the CRM to send the same e-mail back to the contact in, oh let's make it random, 5 weeks. Add the vaguely threatening legal shit at the bottom of the e-mail. Charge a couple of hours for yourself then as well."

They high-five, quietly happy to be doing their part making sure that Corporate Australia pays the correct price for what it had become.

End scene.

15. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

While you're at it, ask them to please be sending though verification of their tax payments for earnings raised from operations in Australia.

16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Unfortunately all profits were eaten up by inflated shipping costs of our product to Australia, as well as the inflated labour costs and unfortunate government regulations. In fact we made a loss and will be filing for a tax refund.

17. Gunna

Gunna Member

Those interweb pipes aren't cheap to run yo! Shipping costs increasing 10%

18. bcann

bcann Member

Yay, thanks Auskey for letting your java app certificate expire, thus stopping me and numerous others from logging into most government websites. thanks for then also playing phone passaround for at least 30+ minutes so far with no answer or pickup in sight.

19. Luke212

Luke212 Member

it was a test to see if you had MS Excel installed. you passed.

millsy_c likes this.
  20. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

just a minor rant.
    A particular share trading site automatically times out my session, which is fine, probably good.
    Then it throws me to a page to re-enter my credentials, which is also fine.
    However, the password field isn't masked. Anything I type in there, comes out clear text on my screen
    And then the password isn't accepted anyway, even though I'm 100% sure it's correct (because I can see it, no less)

I'm trying to replicate in other browsers with the intent of filing a report with them now, but what's the bet they come back and say "oh no sir you must reboot your computer and ensure not typing with keyboard"

GumbyNoTalent likes this.