1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. wazza

wazza Member

I think the only thing that will "save" us is if the tech companies stand up to the govt and refuse to cooperate, even if they risk the up to $10m fine. Apple did so in the San Bernadino shooting case, though they challenged the order compelling them to do so rather than paying a fine, so perhaps they'll do the same here - then use it as advertising saying "we won't give up your sensitive data" or some such (which will hopefully prompt others to follow suit).

Will it actually achieve anything though, or will the companies either say a) Australia's too small a market to worry about these concerns, so bugger them we'll pull out for good or b) Australia's a big enough market so we'll pull out, suffer, then quietly go back into the market when they don't reverse the decision.
    B is what happened with the online tax on overseas imports with Amazon - originally said too bad, no Au customers can order from anything but amazon.com.au, but now it's back to order from any site and we'll add the tax.

They're meant to serve our will, but honestly don't. They (sometimes) make their policies somewhat clear before an election and you get to pick the least worst option but you don't exactly get to pick what they actually do. Hell even if we were to put things like this out to a public vote I don't trust the public to vote the right way, all they need to do is wheel out the "If you vote this down you're supporting paedophiles and terrorists" and "why do you need encryption if you have nothing to hide" crap and enough people will be convinced that it will pass. Sad fact is most people don't actually think a lot of things through properly, and when you have a discussion with them on it and raise the points they can understand them, but in most cases it still won't change their mind.

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I hope this happens to a few key players.

Others have said it already, but my god it would cause some serious backlash if Apple publicly told dead-shark-eyes Dutton to go fuck himself.

3. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Why do we think the Tech companies will save us, after they have fallen over each other to please the Chinese?

4. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Because saving us requires effort / compromising security for everyone else, plus our market is a pittance compared to the Chinese
    Likely scenario: stall and backpedal

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

I don't think they'll save us.

a) I think they'll work their arses off to please a billion Chinese customers in a communist regime where no westerner gives a fuck.
    b) I think they'll give zero fucks about a million Australian customers in a western country with billion other westerners watching on and using that as a litmus test for trust.

I say again: I don't think they'll save us. I think (and hope) that they'll bail on us, because they don't want to deal with our BS. I'm relying on their corporate greed and selfishness to work precisely in our [the technical community who oppose this like of politics] favour.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Unframed likes this.
  6. cvidler

cvidler Member

bingo. 30M saturated market customers, vs 1.2B potential new customers over the next few years.

NSanity and elvis like this.
  7. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

MEH I'll just use the local free interwebs provided by my council to tunnel out and do my bad shit on, better yet I'll use the guest WiFi at parliament house!

8. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Steam cared enough to meet their obligations under the ACCC, rather than just say "No soup for you"

9. Hive

Hive Member

Rabble rabble rabble.

Sorry to be the one to tell you, If the council provide and manage it, it likely doesn't work to begin with so you're out of luck, because the router is still sitting on the l2 techs desk awaiting configuration in between inane government/public sector boondoggles, fifteen tea breaks a day, showing up late, leaving early and having the work ethic of a brain damaged sloth.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  10. bcann

bcann Member

See the cynic in me says a lot of the same companies that are trying to attract government dollars for cloudy things are also the same companies that are being asked to comply.... so when they see a billion bucks and a carrot and a stick .... i know what'll likely happen.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

You're going to find examples on both sides of the fence. It's pretty clear this is a complex issue, and won't come down to "everyone" doing one thing or another.

My interest lies in watching companies like Apple, not Steam. Steam has the games lists of nerds - not exactly on the radar for spy agencies and police. Apple iPhones have an enormous array of end users, communication tools and third party software that hold a huge amount of juicy data related to people's lives. More to the point, Apple told the FBI in the USA to go fuck themselves. What will be interesting is if they also tell ASIO to go fuck themselves, with the difference being that Dutton has now made it so it can strong-arm Apple's market presence in the AU market, which the FBI can't do in the USA.

Cherry picking companies here or there isn't interesting. Watching a few of the bigger ones who are already invested in information privacy, and are already standing up to governments and/or agencies who are trying this bullshit is.

Australia isn't China, nor the USA. Steam isn't Apple. This is a unique case that is going to be an interesting watch with its own outcomes. And you can bet 5 Eyes is watching, because we're the new test case. Welcome to swimming in a big fucking petri dish.

12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Yeah but once it was 2 years on their desk they out sourced it to the cheapest MSP or the one with the biggest kick back, and now we have $2 / day tech from India in India not giving a shit about security only SLAs so provided the traffic conforms to the SLA requirements that was written by the Councillors and they can keep a track of their social media profile and it is positive feedback... ALL IS GOOD.

Hive likes this.
  13. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Friday shit post,

1. SCCM task sequence (bitlocker AD enrollment) suddenly stops working in a new SOE build, worked fine for the first 10 cycles of testing new GPOs, now getting an access denied updating SELF object for write-tpm, FFS WTF.
    2. Cisco IDS is as stable as a leaf on an autumn tree, you throw one invalid SAML request at it and it falls over and goes into PARTIAL_SERVICE

Arghh!!!

Fuck it, lunchtime beers here I come.

14. Perko

Perko Member

It's just unfortunate that we worked out how to make our shit explosive.
    Apple also has more clout with voters than a lot of people here would assume too. I think that if they can be bothered to fight back, the iFan brigade would make a bit of noise. The only problem is that there's nowhere better to go to when you're a hipster sticking it to the man, because both parties rushed it through.

And Snapchat activism has its limits.

elvis likes this.
  15. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Fixed. ;) (anyone who thinks a company's product makes them a better person is a sheeple incapable of critical thinking).

Perko likes this.
  16. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

You obviously have never had Powerthirst before.

17. cvidler

cvidler Member

that sounds like some kinda of STI

18. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Yes I have had Powerthirst with REAL LIGHTNING!

Unframed likes this.
  19. Perko

Perko Member

It's crystal meth.

Unframed likes this.
  20. wazza

wazza Member

I don't necessarily think they'll save us, I just think they're our only chance of being saved. The noise on twitter/facebook etc from those against the scheme has only really had the impact of them being more careful with their wording (it's not a backdoor, it's a "function to allow law enforcement to view user data") but no actual changes have been made. It's really only likely to change if a tech company stands up to the govt and publicly says no, as Apple did to the FBI.

What was the impact of this though? Assuming if it's obligations under ACCC it's likely to do with refunds or similar, so they'll run their cost:benefit analysis and say yep it's still worth trading in Aus even if we have to give the occasional Aus gamer a refund, but Apple/Samsung/Google et all may do the sums and consider any losses they'd have from having to have state sponsored backdoors functions in their products and other govts etc not purchasing, and may say the potential loss is not worth doing business in Aus any more.

That's if they're not already in bed with ASIO and the likes - see AT&Ts room 614A.

The good thing about the noise that Apple made with the FBI and will make if they decide to fight the Aus Govt is their competitors may hear the noise, and decide to fight with them - google will almost certainly take this into account in their decision on fight/leave/comply, if Apple fight and Google don't, imagine how much mud Apple will be able to fling at them, and vice versa.

miicah and Perko like this.