Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

I hear you... the amount of times i've been asked to just go to office works and buy a "memory stick" only to be linked to a 32gb flash drive, as a solution to increase the "memory" aka RAM on our hosts for that particular site.....

:confused:

Even basic understanding of storage and RAM would be great... it's not like it's been a couple of years like storage types.... RAM and storage have been around since the BEGINNING of fkn computing... 50+ years ago ffs.

I'm debating moving on from this place, but at the same time the opportunities to deploy new tech and get some really cool toys to play with is definitely still present... i'm just sick of bending over backwards for asshats that show no appreciation.

We applied for ISO27001 certification last year, and managed to become the first mining company in the world to have ISO27001 certification. HUGE goal set by highers that be... our thanks... "Well done guys... it was a busy year, and you've done well". Same speech as the year before, and the one before that...

This year i'm deploying some new MX7000 chassis, and pushing well into the 2PB of storage across Australia, so the toys are there to kinda offset the lack of appreciation... somewhat :p

elvis likes this.
  2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

At what point do you just let the world burn?

3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

My company ran gallup surveys 4 or 5yrs running, the outcome of which was actually a yearly budget allocation to IT for updating computers, phones, tablets, providing mobile working solutions etc. Then we were put on the market, they stopped the surveys and our budget went away (unrelated), but if they were to run a survey again now we'd be pretty close back to square one with staff complaints about 'tools to do your job'.

elvis likes this.
  4. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

What Mystical Land are you migrating to that doesn't have this issue?

In 90% of the Jobs you'll move to, you will spend more time fighting for budget to keep the lights on, while still working in a thankless job... at least where you are now, you seem to have money for toys.

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

As long as I'm officially on the clock, I'll give it my best to make it work. But honestly, my patience is wearing thin.

With that said...

Exactly. Get the shits up here, go somewhere else, same issues. So I dunno.

I've got a partial eject plan for when the mortgage is close to paid. But that's probably 5 years off.

Quite exhausting to think of doing what I'm doing now for another 5 years...

6. bcann

bcann Member

YAY,

Just had a project manager (Glorified crayon eater) tell me he wants me to check things he is looking after "Because i'm more detail oriented"

FMD....

7. power

power Member

code for he can't be fucked.

8. bcann

bcann Member

No he literally came from a marketing company, so is literally a crayon eater. He has CIO level talking abilities along with CIO level IT abilities. Its a fucken shame.

9. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

Tell him to fuck off and do his job.

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

I'd bet incompetence, not apathy.

And there it is.

Typical Peter Principle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

11. power

power Member

heh probably right.

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

Standard "fake it 'til you make it" bullshit. Annoys the hell out of me. It's borderline narcissistic personality disorder / high functioning sociopathy, and far too common in the business world.

13. power

power Member

fake it until you get a job where no work just bullshitting required?

14. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

JUST group email all the techs and CC as many people as possible with the document asking them to double check be sure to include original email, will guarantee you will never be asked again.

EDIT - be sure it isn't a genuine "mind checking my work I'm not 100% confident I got it correct" request which is a humble acknowledgement of your tech skill, if it is that one then "code pair" review the document, which is you both sit at 1 computer and check the doco together, genuine requests for help will be cooperative.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  15. OP
    OP
    elvis

Read "Snakes in Suits":
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakes_in_Suits

Usually these folks crave either attention or status (or both), and will stick around as long as they can get it while lumping everyone else with their work. The moment the cracks show, they blame some poor Patsy, and smokebomb on to the next role to rinse and repeat.

It's a life-long pursuit for these folks. Ironically, much higher effort than doing "the right thing", but you can't convince someone with terrible mental health of that sort of logic.

In the absence of historical wars, these people now populate business in high numbers. Their cold, completely empathy-free approach to things is seen as a positive in the corporate world where they flourish, until the damage is revealed.

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

17. power

power Member

18. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

We should do one.

How much does Australia rely on it's external links, how much 'internet' would be functional should we be isolated.

---

Macros, interacting with my G-Docs...
    It's more likely than you think.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/11/google-docs-gets-an-api-for-task-automation/

The Groundhog has seen his Shadow, and we are in for 10 more years of Plugin-Hell.

19. bcann

bcann Member

Looks to me more like there putting in place their great firewall equivalent and re-routing fibre through their RUNET spying system.

I've already noticed in the last 6 or so months my spam volumes have already gone down 50%, i guess there is far less money to be made spamming folk nowadays. stealing peoples shit and crypto and crypto locking shit is where the money is at.

EvilGenius likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    elvis

Sure. We should also completely eliminate pollution, solve poverty, and remove big business' excessive influence in politics.

Chances of all of these things happening are roughly equal.

dave_dave_dave and GumbyNoTalent like this.