Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

Not with that kind of attitude!

*finds an axe*

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Attempting to use the attitude necessary gets you put on a watch list. Conform, you mindless plebeian!

3. shredder

shredder Member

As it says in that Peter Principle, "internal consistency is valued more highly than efficient service". Because change is a pain, amirite.

elvis likes this.
  4. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

And eradicate silly superstitions like religion.

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

My imaginary friend could beat up your imaginary friend.

6. tensop

tensop Member

holy shit, I had a manager of staff at a site i looked after whose that down to the T.

I'd post more about her but she's part of an ongoing IBAC investigation lol.

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

Shitposting from 30,000 feet....

Who has critical information in email? Do people still not put important shit somewhere else?

Christ, I could lose every email I've ever recieved and not give a shit.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/hackers-wipe-us-servers-of-email-provider-vfemail/

https://arstechnica.com/information...provider-destroys-almost-two-decades-of-data/

The owner appears to be getting a lot of sympathy on Twitter with people "surprised by the evil doer". Meanwhile more technical discussion places are all asking the same question about his shitty backups.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  8. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Oh look we dont have a physical media backup stratedgy so hackers deleted all our backups.

dave_dave_dave and elvis like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    elvis

I can understand (to a point) non-physical backups if they were at least on separate infrastructure with separate credentials.

The way these reports are coming in, it sounds like they were neighbouring VMs.

[edit] Apparently different creds were on the backup VMs, and the attackers used multiple accounts to break in to active, backup and SQL servers.

Ironically, the business owner's Twitter profile is self described as "IT guru, Infosec". Citation required.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  10. bcann

bcann Member

elvis likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    elvis

10 bit date stamp, what could possibly go wrong?

12. power

power Member

holy crap I wonder how many older sat navs may be affected?

13. bcann

bcann Member

For me i'm also thinking how many cheap phones with older GPS recievers that likely won't EVER get updated due to them being > 2 years old will suddenly be detecting that they are on the other side of the planet due to time inbalances.

14. power

power Member

yeah that too, it wouldn't surprise me if many gps devices that were built to a price have this bug.

15. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

The GPS epoch is a rolling counter, so only shitty software that doesn't translate the epoch roll over correctly will be effected, and only the time and date display will be incorrect. Not sure how this will effect a devices ability to retrieve gps coordinates, as I'm not sure time drift is an issue that will effect the operation.

EDIT - will be funny to see how devices using GPS for time sync are effected.

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

Documentation says it's a 10 bit number for the week, counting from January 1 1980. So an overflow would put it back to then.

Just between you and I, the 80s rocked. So bring it on.

17. bcann

bcann Member

God at times i honestly don't know why i bother.... noticed a huge upheaval in the force today, with shitloads of spame and phishing type emails, most of which the spam filters had knocked out. But as does happen and as has been a theme of late, PDF's are coming through with embedded links to onedrive documents that are of course booby trapped. After having sent out emails today already warning of dodgy emails, the owner of the company sends me one to check and i say yep its dodgy have you opened it (No thank fuck) please delete it. I of course being dutiful decide to check the email logs and find that it went to one other person and knowing them quickly race to their desk, have you opened it YES (My heart sinks) but luckily our AV had stopped it and i just hadn't checked my email to see that the AV had indeed emailed me warning of stupidity. then i tell that user to Please dear god almighty with a fucken cherry on top don't open that email and delete it, and fuck me dead right in front of my fucking eyes a mere .1 of a second after i said that she fucking double clicked on it again and told me "but its from a legit solicitor in town who we have dealt with before, and it WON'T open...."

I thoroughly resist the urge to strangle her and immediately delete the email and walk off with the shits. At times i wonder wether it is all worth trying to stop people from doing stupid shit, and just turn all the layers of protection off and walk away and see how many minutes it is until disaster falls upon the joint.

dave_dave_dave likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    elvis

OpenDNS my man. Saviour of the stupid.

Turn on all the malware blocking options, and add in "newly seen domains" as well. The amount of hits I see coming out of my OpenDNS logs every day makes me so very thankful I put it in place. (It regularly flags things our two different AV solutions completely miss).

19. bcann

bcann Member

We use Watchguard firewalls, and have all these kinds of options turned on. Unfortunately i don't think it would've blocked access to one drive should our default policy not be protected mode and don't allow PDF's access to the internet and don't allow PDF's the ability to run javascript by default.

20. cvidler

cvidler Member

I use the GPS PPS output to set the start of a second, sync the date/time from NTP.

GPS time and UTC/GMT are different anyway, GPS doesn't do leap seconds.