Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. power

power Member

unless of course they go away, that is a good choice for all involved :D

DavidRa and elvis like this.
  2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I hope algorithms that tell me what i "might" like, start taking into account things I don't click/buy/play. (or if they already do, they need to weight them higher).

3. wazza

wazza Member

I had to run one of our large manufacturing sites off 4g for a few months because Telstra took so long to organise a connection - thing that really made me rage was the building already had Telstra fibre and a fibre switch installed (and we passed on all of the details, FNNs etc - and not a shared service, building is completely owned/occupied by us), but they still required someone to come in and do a feasibility study to tell us if telstra could provide fibre to the building, and even after that it took months past the promise date to provide a router and tech to install the service (more annoyingly we even said to them as we were moving sites we could just move the existing router which was the exact same model/spec they were to provide for the new site - but that wasn't allowed, cause they can't reuse routers!).
    The cost for the 4G (and associated fees such as excess data charges) were reasonably significant, but 100% passed on to telstra for payment!

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I sold my soul to Google, and they still can't advertise the things I want to me. I appear to constantly be an outlier in every taste.

I mean, I don't think I'm complicated. I'll slap my money down in a heartbeat for anything vaguely 80s/retro/nostalgia driven. The Google bots haven't figured that out though.

5. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Oh and don't start me on the repetitive youtoob recommended vids, FFS they have a bazillion vids and keep putting the same shit in front of me despite me clicking not interested. I'd actually like to get a broader spread but nooo it's the most monatised lot.

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

I tell you what, you watch one Jordan Peterson video, and you're in crazy alt-right hell for months after that, blocking every whacko with a lunatic opinion and a camera.

The Internet was a mistake.

Perko likes this.
  7. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Like I said, monatised!

I love the 'net, we wouldn't be chatting without it but those trying to use it to make magic coins do root it up so much!

elvis likes this.
  8. cvidler

cvidler Member

Google must've chosen a different epoch, and the algorithms can't deal with dates <90s

elvis likes this.
  9. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Nah it's more that they can't comprehend the existence of a relevant product that's more than a decade older than $(Get-Date). Wave, eleventy trillion chat programs, the constant flip flopping of SMS apps, etc, etc...

10. wazza

wazza Member

I'm constantly using private browsing for the youtoobs so that random shit I watch doesn't affect the recommendations for stuff I'm somewhat interested in.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

I mistakenly logged into the YouTube app on my new "smart" telly. Nek minnit a stream of knob teenage youtubers screaming into their microphones and clipping their audio in my recommendations. (Like, fuck me, these brats spend tens of thousands on computers, cameras and microphones, and can't get 101 shit like audio levels right).

It seems my children use the YouTube app to watch quite a lot of stuff on that TV. Great.

Luckily just weeks later, an update comes through allowing multiple accounts on the telly. I threaten my children with remote internet blocking if I see more screamers in my recommended videos. Problem goes away.

[edit] which reminds me, I'm writing a script to analyse the wave form of a YouTube video and note how many times the audio clips. If it works, I'm going to name and shame.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  12. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Have I told you "I love you" today, Elvis? :D

elvis likes this.
  13. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

elvis call the program clippy and use a paperclip as a mascot.

tobes, fredhoon, Perko and 2 others like this.
  14. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

elvis likes this.
  15. Unframed

Unframed Member

Elvis, you're a beautiful grumpy old nerd. I appreciate your dedication.

cvidler and elvis like this.
  16. KDog

KDog Member

My youtube recommendations are literally a list of the videos I would never, ever watch and would turn off my internet before I would watch them. Despite clearing my watch history and spending the last six months clicking remove, I do not like this video etc.
    Their algorithm is clearly written to promote money videos and has nothing to do with helping you find material you may be interested in.

17. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Who the fuck uses the official youtube website to watch youtube tho?

mpv + youtube-dl for life

18. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

But...why though? Just turn off autoplay, element block the recommendations list. The website is convenient and the annoyances not that hard to remove.

19. cvidler

cvidler Member

I find it works very well for me. Sure there's some that kept popping up, but you can actually ban a channel/user, and then that works 100%.

John Cardogan I'm (no longer) looking at you.

20. cvidler

cvidler Member

adblocker to stop the ads, and you get YouTube Red for free :)