Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. BAK

BAK Member

Perhaps you should get an MSP to look at it, they might be more effective.

2. Perko

Perko Member

No ETA is such a bitch.

3. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

They wanted T&M, and advised "Watching the progress bar closely for the whole time, one server at a time".

phrosty-boi likes this.
  4. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Situation A twenty years ago: configure SoundBlaster SB16 sound card manually with IRQ=3 and DMA=5 and then find out that your sound card and some other card in your PC like your modem are both dead and then you discover they share interrupts which isn't allowable as they are edge triggered and hence not shareable and so you then have to start hunting around for free interrupts available and the problem is that all the cards only allow for 2 or 3 specific interrupts they can use out of the 8? possible ones so you have to rejig everything and 10% of the time the interrupt you've chosen for one card is supposed to work but just doesn't for some unknown reason and so you have to do the whole process again and hopefully you can get it working and pray its not like a 15-14 puzzle.

Shortly after that edge triggered interrupts came in that could be shared but for the next 5 years the chance for significant problems still existed and next to impossible to fix as you basically just had to remove the existing hardware and swap it for another brand or model and hope it worked and this is after you took the original brand new card back to the shop asking to swap it over and the proprietor looking at you the entire time thinking your some kind of idiot, the next 5 years after that most of these problems went away but they were still some issues for time to time, only after a decade or so did all these problems finally go away.

Situation B today: If enabled the BIOS splash screen shows all the devices like network and video cards in the PC at one device per line and usually it fills the entire screen and the PC then boots without any of these past problems and that brief flash on the screen for a second or so is just a reminder of the problems you used to have a long time ago.

My question to you is: Who wants to ponce around with this kind of crap anymore? I sure don't!

5. bcann

bcann Member

Or advised that it was patched, when in reality for the past 3 years were lying in their room rolling in the money from "Gold" level support and not doing it, or anything really.

Attached Files:

• msp.jpg
      msp.jpg
      File size:
      177.6 KB
      Views:
  6. wazza

wazza Member

I think there's a very small amount of people in any generation who actually know how to use a computer with any level of skill - you say watch out for people in 10 years but look at people 10 years older than yourself and ask if they really know what they're doing, or if it's just repeating the same thing they were shown over and over, but throw in a minor problem (hell even just an interface change) and see what they do. Then do the same test with people the same age as you, but not working in IT - I know in my workplace there are only a small handful in any age group that actually have a decent understanding of how to use the core programs they use on a daily basis - the majority of them just know "I click here and then what I want to happen should happen".

I won't work somewhere that doesn't allow my application to be in comic sans, on a graphical superhero tee.

PabloEscobar likes this.
  7. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Nobody, but side effect, it produces more kids who actually grok the insides of the magic thinking box.

8. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

Another reason to stop teaching people how to follow a process, or remember a thing, (e.g. our school system) and start teaching critical thinking.

Learning how to click here, and click that, is not learning how to do anything useful at all.

9. Fred Nurk

Fred Nurk Member

Can't you just script a new, and equally insulting greeting for every week?

elvis likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

bsd games "fortune" command got you covered.

11. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I see your bid and raise you - Shakespeare Insult Generator

http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/Shaker/index.html?

Hours of fun

"Your virginity, your old virginity is like one of our French wither'd pears: it looks ill, it eats drily.

Taken from: All's Well That Ends Well"

I scorn you, scurvy companion. What, you poor, base, rascally, cheating, lack-linen mate! Away, you moldy rogue, away!

Taken from: Henry IV, part 2

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  12. OP
    OP
    elvis

Sure, I'll take that bet. Let's hit the old "fortune" generator a few times...

Code:
    $ fortune -o
    To his bride said economist Fife :
    "The semen you'll launch as my wife,
           We will salvage and freeze
           To resemble goat's cheese,
    And slice for hors d'oeuvres with a knife."

$ fortune -o
    There was a young girl of Asturias
    With a penchant for practices curious.
           She loved to bat rocks
           With her gentlemen's cocks --
    A practice both rude and injurious.

$ fortune -o
    Hear about...
           the guy who couldn't find his way to the orgy -- you might say he
           lost his ball bearings?

$ fortune -o
    All this time I've been VIEWING a RUSSIAN MIDGET SODOMIZE a HOUSECAT!

Not included - the one that dropped a C-bomb. Felt that one could stay off the Internet.

phrosty-boi likes this.
  13. BAK

BAK Member

Tenuous link, but when I saw Fife, I thought of this particular comedy duo (the piano player's character name is Fife):

Probably not safe for work.

14. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

wow you may have got me then, I thought it was just basically random MOTD generator level stuff, not full blown profanity.

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

"fortune" has quite a few databases it can pull from now. Debian/Ubuntu splits these up for you into different packages, and the fortune binary itself offers the "-o" flag for "offensive", and the "-a" flag for "all, including offensive".

By default, it won't install the offensive database, nor pull quotes from it without a flag even if it is installed.

Just one of the myriad of reasons I prefer Linux. Microsoft would never have the balls to offer you a sweary database of insults. :)

16. NSanity

NSanity Member

n=1 and all but...

DP 1.2 MST is shitcunts at res
    80% of the time won't read my 30" res properly
    15% of the time It does, then drops the primary monitor
    5% of the time it works, has the wrong refresh and gets colour fuckery
    0% of the time it works like just plugging in 2 DP cables into a source.

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

We have endless problems with DisplayPort. Not limited to:

* Monitors working intermittently
    * Monitors not working at all
    * Single/dual setup skullfuckery that you've covered

and my favourite:

* Compression artifacting not appearing on HDMI monitors throwing artists off using DisplayPort monitors, and then not being able to warranty said monitors because it's impossible to explain to people like Dell a problem outside of the scope of "working" or "not working".

Yet another attempt at making a "smart" protocol that isn't.

Chock that up two orders of magnitude.

18. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

why is DP so bad? Is it like the USB-C mess?

Source: have only one DP device (gaming rig), no idea that its buggy as

19. NSanity

NSanity Member

I bet thats real fun in your gig...
    It was supposed to be HDMI, but free of royalties. In reality everything that its supposed to do extra... it pretty much fails at it. I moved from DVI-D to DP 1.2 cables years ago, and its been *mostly* fine, with the occasional issue (maybe once a month) of a monitor not waking up, that a simple off/on cycle solves.

I just bought a shiny new XPS 13 9380 (super cheap, thanks JB Hifi) - and looking to downsize my desktop setup but still be able to play the occasional game that wants a GPU and a mouse/keyboard - a lot of docks only have a single DP port - because DP 1.2 etc. Well that would be great, but it doesn't fucking work.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  20. tensop

tensop Member

hmm weird, my experience is the opposite with hdmi doing weird under/overscan things causing the whole lot to be blurry, to the hdmi audio passthrough randomly deciding to override the default audio output..

I still like dvi-d the best :)