Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

We'll fuck them up as well.

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Only as long as we're in control of their iterative improvement. Once that outpaces our own ability and slips from our fingers, then things will get really exciting.

3. cvidler

cvidler Member

You're thinking of Cyberdyne systems.

4. Gunna

Gunna Member

or possibly deadly once self preservation for AI kicks in and some human decides to try to turn it off

5. Cape_Horn

Cape_Horn Member

Some days, I am not thinking that that is as much of a problem as it should be.

elvis likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    elvis

1) There are infinite possibilities. Don't limit yourself to one version spoon fed to you by pop media.

2) Even if that possibility occurs, so be it. Consider that if any other species had served as much of a threat to either our existence or the health of this planet we're so fiercely dependent on, humans would have culled them swiftly and without remorse. If some intelligence greater than us deems humans to be the biggest risk, and survival of the planet is only assured through their culling, then how can we criticise the same decision we would make in their shoes?

bcann likes this.
  7. bcann

bcann Member

So if every few years we cull the bottom and top 10%, its not going to be to far into the future that there won't be many left. I say we create insertable mind control devices into those folk instead of knocking them off. I don't know about you, but i still need someone to lift heavy things for me every so often.

8. Gunna

Gunna Member

Because Earth will survive, we will not and the AI may take a similar view of all living things seeing as they don't rely on the natural living resources like we do. What do they need with animals they can't eat but whose habitat could be used to sustain AI through solar famrs or other infrastructure? We could in fact be dooming the Earth to a fate worse than one Humans could ever deal.

shredder likes this.
  9. bcann

bcann Member

Welcome Bitches :)

Attached Files:

10. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I'm more like sexy Cylon six from Battlestar Galactica reboot. She can destroy muh civilisation anytime as long as I get sexy trippy dreams.

[​IMG]

I for one would welcome my sexy robot overlords.

EvilGenius likes this.
  11. shredder

shredder Member

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

I'm certainly an elitist prick, but I don't judge merit based on things like privilege, social status, income or even pure cognitive ability.

A janitor can still be an excellent janitor, and survive the great elvis culling, because they're good at what they do and give more than they take.

Folks who do "the heavy lifting" of life are still highly valued in my hypothetical universe. And likewise, there are some highly paid, highly "important" people who I'd happily cull in the first 10% simple because of the damage they do.

Considering we're staring down the barrel of multiple resource shortages due to population explosions, a cull ever now and then to keep numbers consistent isn't a bad thing.

In certain places in the world, they make hunting legal to control population of animals that can damage the ecosystem if their numbers explode. But they also can limit hunting in seasons where the populations are not out of control to avoid underpopulation.

When humans are already overpopulated and causing issues as a result, telling me you're worried about their potential long term underpopulation isn't of great concern to me.

13. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

The Purge you say.

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

If you're referring to the films, again, the privileged survive due to years of compounding social skullfuckery. So no, not a solution. Still needs an objective overseer.

And if people are emotionally against my proposed culling, I'd happily downgrade to mandatory sterilisation of the same group. Same solution, just takes a generation longer.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  15. shredder

shredder Member

Put the smart eggs into the hot women, problem solved. :thumbup:

16. BAK

BAK Member

Eggs are already in women. I think you might misunderstand how reproduction works. Does that make you part of the 10%?

Perko and PabloEscobar like this.
  17. shredder

shredder Member

Because I was being totally serious. Yes. Yes I was. <nods seriously> Tell me more...

18. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

I was going to link a helpful "lifestyle" video with a demonstration, but I like not being banned...

kbekus likes this.
  19. syx

syx Member

we are starting to see studies showing that human population is slowing and going in reverse in western countries.
    i see education and having/wanting nice things being blamed.
    once the third world catches up the same thing might happen.

all these worries because of over population could fix themselves naturally.

/popcorn

20. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

This is actually the problem with everywhere. Instead of behaving like other organisms where good times means more procreation humans seem to shit out children at an ever increasing rate as their circumstances get worse.