Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. caspian

caspian Member

EvilGenius - make home brew in the server room!

I just took my little dog to the vet. she's a highly trained professional too, and to my knowledge most of her customers are reasonably respectful and polite. I also suspect her only hope/expectation of the knowledge her customers is that they can describe the symptoms of their complaint with reasonable accuracy, even if in simple terms.

so why can't people show a similar degree of respect for other professions? and why do people apparently turn into complete drooling morons in terms of communicating their issue as soon as it involves a device that runs on electrons?

me to vet: little dog is very reserved and not interested in food, which is unusual for her. she has a raspy dry cough that gets worse under any exertion. no vomiting. started two evenings ago and has gotten progressively worse. she feels quite warm to me.

typical user: mail won't work. fix it.
    IT person: on what device? when did it happen? has anything been changed? are there any error messages? is anything else not working or just mail? have you tried restarting?
    user: WAAAH YOU ALWAYS MAKE IT SO HARD! I CAN'T WORK! JUST FIX IT!!!</emotional_meltdown>

phrosty-boi, EvilGenius and bcann like this.
  2. chip

chip Member

fuck yeah redundancy

24 weeks + nearly 400 hours of unused leave & TOIL. Good luck with de-skilling IT and outsourcing to TSS visa workers from overseas on $55k a year, fuckers.

3. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Cause you have to make an appointment and sit down face to face with the Vet. If the vet had an email address, they'd get the same sort of crap thrown at them as well.

I have a few friends who are Vets, they are not treated very well, do stupid amounts of after hours on-call time and get paid worse than 9-5 L1 IT slobs.

4. Myst

Myst Member

You're also paying the Vet so to avoid any duplication in visits there's motivation in providing all the detail necessary.

When calling IT people lobotomise that part of their brain and let support fix it. Even though again, they would have it fixed more expertly and quickly if they better described their issue in detail in the beginning.....

But Joe and Jane sixpack need to get home to their VB and Footy followed up by MAFs don't they :p Or whatever it is "normal" people do..

5. power

power Member

on top of that they need to live day to day with people who are not only simple, but who mistreat animals. most vets get into the vet business because they love animals. i would be a mess if i was a vet.

6. caspian

caspian Member

I take the point, but people are still "paying" for support with their time/lack of productivity etc. makes no sense to me, but then again if the average person had any intelligence we would not be here in the first place.

Myst likes this.
  7. power

power Member

the masses will rise up once they too learn the art of clicking, double clicking, sending emails, receiving emails.

freaky_beeky likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I think where I get stuck is that I just want to work with smart folks.

Now, "smart" != "knows what I know". I 100% understand and appreciated that business works because of diversity of skills. I don't want to work with clones of myself. I want to work with people who have the same magnitude of skill, but in a different direction. What I don't want to do is to find myself helping people with things that aren't in my remit, are in theirs, and I can figure out in a few minutes of basic troubleshooting despite never previously have had to deal with.

My frustrations are typically around people not meeting the very expectations I place on myself. Particularly when I'm already doing the work of several people due simply to resourcing problems, and am now forced to carry more weight from people who claimed they could do a job, but actually just palm everything off on to folks around them. There's delegation, and then there's taking the piss.

freaky_beeky, Gargamel and Myst like this.
  9. cvidler

cvidler Member

It's a lack of basic analytical skills. troubleshooting, logic, comprehension.

Some people are lucky breathing is autonomous.

Had a mainframe operator (not your regular luser, but someone supposedly IT competent) type in a command 100% verbatim, missing/ignoring the fact he should've replaced <servername> with oh I don't know, maybe a server name. Then complain the instructions were wrong.

elvis likes this.
  10. shredder

shredder Member

Been there done that. What galled me was, those skills got me known as (a la) "the computer wizard" at my work. Which was false, because (I assumed, perhaps wrongly that) anybody can Google and/or apply critical thinking (usually more the latter). And which most of all, was fucking disrespectful, because it pigeonholed me as some kind of outsider freak, to be called out from the zoo when the real people couldn't figure something/anything out. Without ever any true acknowledgement. :lol: Loved it.
    Which, as much as anything, is a flaw of yours. Not uncommon, I mean I've seen that exact sentiment (and the accompanying stress) from virtuoso musicians I used to follow closely.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I'm not sure any amount of compensation is going to pass the "appropriate" bar.

For me, the biggest benefit of being a cuntractor/cuntsultant, is not having to deal with the political bollocks that comes 'after'

I've ridden the redundancy bus twice so far, and hope for another trip... each time, took the payout, had a grrreat break, and got a higher paying job when I was ready to start working again.

chip likes this.
  12. cvidler

cvidler Member

So this, stress levels much reduced not having to deal with office (or real) politics, having spent some of my career in the public service, never again.

13. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Pretty sure I've ranted about this before, but in the case of IT, or just technology in general, people are actually proud of not knowing how stuff works, it's like a badge of honour for them. "I'm not a computer person". They say this, proud as punch, because they believe it excuses them of all responsibility. I clicked, the computer didn't do what it normally does when I clicked, this is a catastrophe! The idea of experimenting to find out why it didn't work never even occurs to them, because that's a computer person thing, and I'm not a computer person. So relieved of any responsibility, clearly, as a computer person, it not working is your fault, and if you were doing your job properly it wouldn't have gone wrong in the first place.

14. syx

syx Member

Depressingly its still trendy to 'i dont know computers'
    Ive been hoping for the last decade or so for that to end.
    Luckily in my experience the 'digital natives' (people younger than whoever just said digital natives) have a slightly lower percentage of 'im far to cool to be a computer person' idiots.

Theres hope !

15. power

power Member

and this is NOT restricted to any generation, i have a user who is quite young and she is super proud of basically not knowing what a technology is. Snapchat though - yeah that's great. I feel there is a Venn diagram somewhere for these people.

user + iphone + snapchat = the type of people you should not hire for anything other than rote tasks.

EvilGenius likes this.
  16. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Lawful evil. I'm so freakin' sick of having 8 people tell me what my top priority is today...get in the damn queue.

17. scrantic

scrantic Member

Anyone been approached by darktrace, seen a demo or trialed an appliance? Seems like a costly piece of kit curious if anyone has taken the plunge. Seems like yet another security product trying to do the same things in a different way with AI/MI.

18. cvidler

cvidler Member

I work for a company with a rather similar name, we do AI too.

release the hounds lawyers

19. NSanity

NSanity Member

Handed in the notice today. I think I just watched a stages of grief fly through my management. They hung around on Stage 2 for a bunch.

fredhoon, samus, 2SHY and 6 others like this.
  20. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Wait? What? Notice?