Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

I'm just a mirror reflecting your attitude.

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

BRB chiselling dicks on walls so people can read my thoughts in a thousand years time.

3. millsy

millsy Member

Don't you mean eggplants? :lol:

elvis and dave_dave_dave like this.
  4. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Edit: Eggplant apparently doesn't work on the forums, so that was less funny than i intended.

EvilGenius and elvis like this.
  5. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Ahh, I don't miss the Migration of the Canbrites in their annual invasion of the South Coast beaches. Having a well planned city is all well and good... but planning it 2 hours from the nearest beach was a terrible idea.

6. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

They gave them lakes to swim in.
    From what I've read they're perfectly safe to swim in, the locals are just a bit precious about it.

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

lol. they're stagnant swamps filled with old toranas and shopping trolleys.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    elvis

We're actually banned from doing so for compliance reasons. The same compliance that marked our 12 character minimum passphrases as "insecure", and recommended we go to 8 characters with complexity.

I've forwarded those organisations on to Troy Hunt and XKCD and asked them all to have a good hard think about life. Response was crickets and tumbleweeds. Hooray for the media industry. Amazing how they can simultaneously be so far ahead of the curve for complex technology, and so far behind it for the basic stuff.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  9. syx

syx Member

if only there was some way to tell the user what their password was and what they tried to type in that didnt break security.

the 'oh' look on their face when they realised that yes, they actually had forgotten it/capslock/typo would be priceless.

10. Cape_Horn

Cape_Horn Member

Other than being a bit cold for ~6months a year, (a good wetsuit will deal with this, well, down to ~13°C or so, under that and it means significantly more kit, which takes away the fun of simming). The lakes have only been unsafe to swim in for the last ~3weeks this summer.
    And the shopping trolly monster is only really a problem in Tuggeranong. (one lake I won't swim in, due to said shopping trolly)
    The lakes are mostly fine, for most of the year, just like most beaches.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

Hey guess what folks, she can log in now. What was the issue? Copy/paste from the ticket (which I quite vocally palmed off on to someone else):

"Removed the recovery email address (which was spelled incorrectly) and enabled verification using mobile number."

User couldn't spell their own email address properly, nor put in their mobile number for password recovery. How do you automate that which is too stupid to automate?

wazza, Perko, Gunna and 1 other person like this.
  12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Could be worse, could be the annual Mexican (Melbournites) migration during winter to Noosa where pale grey/white skin dad bods in buggie smugglers roam the beaches in the dead of winter while locals are in wetsuits shivering.

WINTER IS COMING!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    millsy likes this.
  13. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

dead_inside.jpg

wazza, 2SHY, bcann and 2 others like this.
  14. power

power Member

Use the KonMari method, in your example this user does not bring you joy so you should not hang onto them. This will help you declutter your tickets.

DavidRa, ir0nhide, j3ll0 and 6 others like this.
  15. caspian

caspian Member

some years ago doing a support role I tried talking a particularly incompetent user through a password reset that a small child should be able to handle. I couldn't see passwords but I could see username which was correct. I gave her something like 5-6 new passwords, which were simple 8-character lowercase alphanumerics, and over the constant wailing of how this computer stuff was all way too hard, she screwed every one of them up and locked the account out yet again.

after this torture had gone on waaay too long, I finally generated a final new password, logged into her account with it, and changed the password as her. of course this broke a heap of security and privacy rules.

me; "OK, we're going to try once more. your new password is YOUR FIRST NAME, with the first letter a capital and the rest lower case, and a number 1 on the end, no spaces. that's absolutely as simple as I can make it."

nope, watched her fuck that one up multiple times too and lock the account out again.

sorry, can't help you. if you can't spell your own name you are literally too dumb to be helped.

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

should've said the first is a BIG letter, the rest are LITTLE letters....

capitals are hard.

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

I know we've gone round and round on this topic for literally over a decade, but I'm still at a loss how these folks actually make it past HR.

18. cvidler

cvidler Member

probably trying to type "canberra<name>1"

elvis likes this.
  19. Gunna

Gunna Member

During my time on internet support for AAPT I literally had to tell a user what her name was to enter into her on screen prompt that said "Please enter your name"

I hold little faith for some people

millsy likes this.
  20. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Caps Lock
    Num Lock
    Broken keyboard

Herp Derp users are Dumb, but L1 support should be able to accurately determine how the user is being dumb and rectify... It's literally their job.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.