Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

2. Unframed

Unframed Member

I'm behind the 8 ball on this one because I've been working on moving up in this org but...

You'd be surprised how wrong you are there. Many people my age and older watch streams and hell I even stream myself. It is very much the same as sport regardless of your logic (that's pretty exclusive to you), sure you might be ok at CSGO but watching an aimgod play is unlike anything a "good" player will achieve, kind of like watching a professional athlete vs doing it yourself.

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Want to know something really interesting? The price of broadcast equipment is plummeting thanks to streamers. Gear that used to cost us thousands now costs hundreds. You've got folks like Unreal investing in virtual studio technology.

We're working more and more on stuff for TV that's powered by streamer and gamer tech.

Streaming is massive, and only getting bigger from here. And claiming "nobody watches it" is like your grandma complaining about this new fangled Internet thing.

Unframed likes this.
  4. caspian

caspian Member

on behalf of facebook, I'm happy to offer you a 100% refund on all the fees you haven't paid. (offer is null and void if you were actually paying money for targeted ads or visibility.)

we do actually have facebook Workplace at work (because someone has prioritised being trendy over actually being useful/efficient/centralised in our communications) and the outage was a pain in the arse due to some information only being on that platform.

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

We had a Yammer setup (was in place when I got to the company). I don't think it ever got cancelled, so it might still be floating around (unless we paid for it, in which case the payment would have expired). I should check that out.

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

7. Unframed

Unframed Member

Cheapers cameras and mics is all good by me. I have definitely noticed, prices have dropped a fair bit for mics, thats for sure.

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

"Uh oh"

cvidler, wazza and freaky_beeky like this.
  9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Speed runs on old platformers in real time... BONER!!!

Unframed likes this.
  10. 2SHY

2SHY Member

11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

[​IMG]

fredhoon, freaky_beeky, 2SHY and 3 others like this.
  12. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Call this morning about office activation failing on staff members machines in the Philippines. Odd I thought, we don't have any staff in the Philippines... 'Oh these are contractors'. :Paranoid: Turns out a previous manager just handed over their creds to an external contractor to let them install office off their subscription to make it easier to work with them. That manager has since left and now the subscription has expired. I'd facepalm but for something like this I'd probably do myself an injury.

13. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Text only comms how 1970s, its the 90s buddy you should be using CU-SeeMe.

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

Regular occurrence for me too. Filipino and Indian devs given free reign to things by middle managers. What could possibly go wrong?

15. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

More on the eSports talk:

"The global esports economy is expected to top $1.1 billion this year, a year-on-year growth of 26.7%"

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/ea-broadcast-center-reveal-1203164332/

These esports broadcast centres exceed the tech used in any Australian sporting grand final. Both in streaming technology and traditional camera/microphone setups.

17. Perko

Perko Member

I'm really shocked at the price drop in decent studio quality Rode and Shure gear, and the inclusion of decent USB DACs on board etc. The prices we paid for that shit ten years ago was eye watering once you got a half decent rig together.
    Now I know why. Well, as well as the Chinese rip offs getting better.

elvis likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    elvis

My son bought himself a condenser microphone, phantom power supply, filters and full boom rig for under AU$300 (including delivery) from China.

Sound quality is stunning. Considering we purchase similar gear for thousands, and the quality of that is certainly better, but only by single-digit percentages, and not the 10-fold price increase. And sure, that's always the case for high end gear on an logarithmic curve of price to quality, but as you said, the option didn't even exist a few years ago.

I'm planning to do a few talky-talky videos in the coming months, and I'll be borrowing that for my audio for sure.

GumbyNoTalent, EvilGenius and Perko like this.
  19. shredder

shredder Member

I trust you plan to divert your work team for a few hours, to add Hollywood-grade VFX to your personal Youtube productions. "It was nothing major, I just thought it was like taking stationery from the office sort of thing", you'll say during the court case.

FerrisXB9R, EvilGenius and elvis like this.
  20. Perko

Perko Member

I expect links and rants.

FerrisXB9R, EvilGenius and Gargamel like this.