Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Funny, I remember "The Role of Women During Wartime" being a pretty big module in my SC history syllabus. Wouldn't even occur to me that some young people somehow don't know...

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Still manual, sadly. But those who frequent the retro forums may notice a theme.

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

I was speaking with a friend the other day about reports that a lot of the "90s computers and communications" jokes in the recent Captain Marvel film went over the head of the 20-somethings in the audience.

When I was 20-something, I knew about technology that came and went before I was alive. I knew of the bronze age, the steam engine, flint pistols, hand-crank-start engines, Morse code, and a bunch of other crap that, if I saw it in a movie, I'd get it. Why is it that current 20-somethings don't? And how come, even with instant access to the world's largest pool of free information in their pockets, they still don't know?

Same question goes for modern feminists that don't know a 1940s feminist icon. That's still within a generation, and arguably a hugely important time in human history in general, let alone for the feminist movement. How the hell do people who identify with said movement not recognise such a thing?

Something something social media distraction something.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  4. power

power Member

I also don't understand this, but then i remember that not all 20 somethings are the same. There would have been a few that would have gotten the jokes.

5. syx

syx Member

we all learned about that stuff because we either
    played the original civilisation - one end of the nerd spectrum
    memorised the encyclopedia - other end of the nerd spectrum

how much nerd could a nerd herd nerd if a nerd herd could herd nerds :O

elvis likes this.
  6. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

My geography is pretty good as long as it is from the time period of one of the Total War series.

fredhoon likes this.
  7. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

So much of my knowledge of Europe comes from the Medieval: Total War

And history, is not just Civ 1 - Lenard Nimoy quotes from 4, and Boromir's quotes from 5, make me sound knowledgeable about things I know "Of"

fredhoon likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    elvis

My kids all got the jokes. But that's because...

9. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

20-something is a rough period to generalise about at the moment.

I'm 20-something and my first computer had a 486SX at a whopping 33MHz and originally ran Windows 3.1.
    My first exposure to the Internet was via a 28.8K modem.
    I was reinstalling Windows 95 (and getting sick of reinstalling Windows 95 and taking Ghost images instead) before I learnt long division. To me, 90s computing is computing.

My co-worker is 20-something-fewer and the first computer he remembers is a Pentium 4 with a base clock nearly 1000 times higher. He doesn't remember the modem negotiation noises - maybe he never had a dial-up connection at home at all. His first mobile phone had a colour display. To him, 90s computing is a crazy anachronism, an era when nothing was quite cooked yet.

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

Fair comment. The articles my friend cited were more the 18-23 demographic.

29 year olds get a free pass on this one.

11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

[​IMG]

Save Icon, or Floppy Disc?

Perko, NSanity and cvidler like this.
  12. bcann

bcann Member

Not that i'd call it hacking, but i remember playing moria (A Dos based RPG, with such exciting characters as * and # as enemies) and after getting the shits one day at not having enough game money to buy whatever item it was that i was after, thinking surely there is a way i can buy something for $1 and measure the hex difference in the file and eventually discover where the money was located in the file and FF it. it took a few goes, but eventually after do a difference check at the hex level using a tool i found out exactly where the in game money was stored and suddenly i was FF FF drowning in money. eventually i found out due to this dollar experiment, where items such as armour and swords were and how to modify them so that they did FF (+255) damage, that eventually helped me to finish moria at a much lower level then i suspect was possible without my "Hacking" of the saved game file.

Its why i laugh so hard when my 14 year old son comes up to me and talks smack about how good a "Hacker" he is, and then i ask him who installed the last few games on his PC because he couldn't work out to replace a few game files with modified files....

Pfft you didn't drill a hole to double the capacity of the disk...

God i'm old :)

13. Myst

Myst Member

Yeah I have a friend who's kid is godlike at any lan game we all play, but get him to do any basic task such as install mods, disable firewall or even browse file explorer he turns to mush. He's 17.

I've at least taught my 9 year old daughter how to ctrl-alt-delete, file - run - explorer.exe That's only because her windows profile will randomly not load explorer and I can't be bothered fixing it! :p

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  14. BAK

BAK Member

Great example you're setting for your 14 year old son there, re: buying games rather than pirating them.

GumbyNoTalent and freaky_beeky like this.
  15. bcann

bcann Member

Great example your setting there by jumping off that cliff before seeing just how far down that cliff goes and whether its water or sharp pointy rocks at the bottom.

16. Gunna

Gunna Member

or you know like a 3rd party mod to a game. Way to jump to conclusions

17. caspian

caspian Member

my impression was very much the opposite.

https://www.agilitypr.com/pr-news/p...news-half-millennials-struggle-news-literacy/
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/prudyg...real-new-study-says-think-again/#39e9fa5e28e7
    https://www.newamerica.org/millennials/dm/i-couldnt-spot-fake-news-story-can-you/
    https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...smaying-inability-to-tell-fake-news-from-real

I fully grant that older people are perhaps more used to taking a published word as factual, that's a function of growing up in a time when you had to have something worth saying enough that people would pay to read it. now all some dickhead needs is a $100 secondhand tablet, free wifi and a social media account to broadcast their tripe to a far larger audience than it deserves.

anyone who bases their opinion on what some unrelated airhead (or even worse, social media group consensus) thinks has just demonstrated why people should not be allowed to breed without supervision.

18. BAK

BAK Member

Not really sure what your thrust is here. Jumping to conclusions can be dangerous? It's a forum on the internet, I'll take my chances. Also see below.
    See: Occam's Razor.

19. Cape_Horn

Cape_Horn Member

The other day I was out shopping (I try not to do this) and I was trying not to hit my head upon the wall at one companies 'advertising' the statement? (It was some random brand of makeup)

"#1 preferred makeup of thousands of influencers across the world"

WTF? So your advertising is " All these people we pay to use our product and tell you to use our product say that you should use our product"
    And this is a selling point? And this works?

20. OP
    OP
    elvis

"Disk" ("Disc" is optical. Fight me IRL).

And my kids (10,12,18) know it as both, and know the history of it and a bunch of other icons, despite not being born when most of that stuff was phased out.

NSanity and cvidler like this.