Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. power

power Member

when you want to unsubscribe from vmware emails.

Chrome, IE and Edge all look identical.

QUALITY WEBPAGING THERE VMWARE

upload_2019-3-21_13-36-38.png

2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Whats the rate of change?
    How much of it is actual important data, and not just stuff that Sickbeard or Couchpotatoe will re-download?

The power usage of older kit can be pretty excessive. It made me question if its worth having it at all anymore.

3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

In the middle of changing my home server, whole setup draws ~400w, it's ridiculous. I will say though the old 'you can just download it again' line isn't always accurate. You want a decent bluray rip of a movie that came out 10yrs ago and you can find yourself SOL. Same for a lot of older TV shows. Running 70TB+ of home storage on old hand me down hardware aint cheap though :(

4. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

ITT: Power finds out he's been paying for a useless service for 19 years.

5. Perko

Perko Member

I knocked $300 off my power bill when I replaced my HTPC and old TV with a single smart TV.

6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I honestly wouldn't mind going down that road, but it's such a pain in the arse. Sorry you live in Australia your netflix library gets to be 1/10th the size of the US. And then every bloody company in the US wanting their $15 a month for their own streaming service because they all think they can be netflix. Despite that I still pay for netflix and amazon prime video, and it still doesn't cover what I have available to me otherwise.

bcann and Perko like this.
  7. Unframed

Unframed Member

Depends on the day. All the home videos from uncle torrence are on the media server which is not backed up. I do have like 4TB of video footage, some of which is shot in raw on my desktop and this covers my obsession with cameras over the past 15 years. I also have tons of gaming footage from streams that comes and goes as I put it into compilations and such. Basically I have a lot of media that I actually produce and use, it takes up fuck tons of space and I like to make sure it's all safe.

Totally agree, my AM1 server would pull like 100W at most but my backup server is dual LGA771 (iirc) with 7 drives in it. No doubt the power bills go up with it on, thats why I'd like to make sure this new server (should be LGA2011 socket or something around there) is a bit more power friendly then the 2 I have combined.

8. wazza

wazza Member

If you take care of your kit, it generally takes care of you. I've only recently got rid of my early 2011 XPS17 and that was only because the hinges broke on it, also have a reasonable amount of similar vintage laptops/desktops at work that go into our warehouses or test pool because they still work fine, but were replaced largely due to coming out of warranty. Generally the only laptops we have to replace for any other reason are from the small handful of people who think "I didn't buy this, so why should I take any care of it?".

9. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

That's that particular setup. Sky lake era hardware and disks idle below 50w easily depending on disks. And you know you can always turn it off when you're not using it lol.

10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Mmm, I think things have changed a little over the last 5-6yrs. The move towards thinner and lighter has done terrible things for the longevity of hardware. We're a dell house, I've still got old D series machines, D610's etc, laying around the place, and if I could be bothered waiting a week they'd probably still boot. All their power supplies still work too. E7240's though? First there's a pretty good chance that even if they work, getting them to work on a dock will be problematic. But assuming someone hasn't flexed the docking port so hard/often that it won't work any more, the battery would likely have swollen up so much the casing cracks open and anyone who's seen a youtube vid of someone puncturing a lithium battery develops a sudden urge to be anywhere else. And then there's the power supplies which these days have a habit of giving up the will to live. All just failures I never used to see, back when they weren't trying to cram everything into something the thickness of an envelope.

11. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I had to rebuild all my server stuff at home a few months back and start from almost scratch (Thanks Seagate). I've found I changed Usenet provider and used a different indexer and I've got heaps more stuff than I previously would. Even to the point where I've been able to download rips of old British shows in their entirety, I was shocked they came down.

My older Haswell gear seems to idle around this too.

12. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

For those of you who lost months of your life to factorio, but had that niggling feeling in the back of your mind that it should have been a survival shooter.. I present:

Currently running 2 usenet providers, one US based and one EU based as well as 3 indexers. The only thing I don't bother with any more is channel BT, too much garbage. You can still get a lot of obscure stuff, but often it's the not so obscure but simply aged stuff that hasn't been upped in the last 5yrs, or was perhaps dmca'd into oblivion and not re-upped since scene packaging methods evolved to deal with automated takedowns.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  13. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

My Name is Pablo and I was a factorioholic.

Satisfactory seems to be missing something though, I can't quiet put my finger on it, but just lacks the same hook.

14. NSanity

NSanity Member

discords leaking...

upload_2019-3-22_11-21-22.png

DavidRa, m0n4g3, BAK and 2 others like this.
  15. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

Yeah my laptops are road warriors... Not just "in Ze BackPack for work and Back" type. My XPS13 hinge snapped after I dropped it while tuning my car. XPS13 before that suffered overheating issues. Macbook pro had a ryobi cordless drill drop on it while I was youtubing shit on fixing my car ( just car seat to ground drop height). It's been abused in a backpack travelling around the world. The last big drop it had was off my lap in Switzerland last year... onto tiles... with the lid open... while transferring data from my GoPro. One of those "oh shit" moments as I frantically check if the screen is cracked or I've snapped the USB port...

16. tonner78

tonner78 Member

It's Friyay bitches!!

17. Unframed

Unframed Member

I liked this week, next one has pay money though.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  18. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Yeah esp with larger disks so less disks to power, I'm running 3x8Tb with a sky-lake Xeon E3 so idle is well below 50W, IIRC its closer to 30W. Its well less than 6x4Tb with an Avoton atom which was drawing ~70W, though that was 7200rpm drives as well.

19. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Can we make it a Slack,
    Or a Teams
    Or a Facebook Group.

I need to have more shit bleating at me for attention.

20. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Or a Google Private Hangout
    Or a private Matrix server and you can choose your client.

Or you could continue to shit post in OCAU ;)