Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

"Sure thing. You show me what you're doing and I'll tell you what you're doing wrong"

2. chip

chip Member

sounds enterprise AF to me. See also: buying anything from Cisco

3. wazza

wazza Member

"Oh, it worked that time" (now that they're bothering to read the instructions/follow the procedure/not just randomly click and hope I'll stumble across the correct button).

Paid massive dividends for me when I stopped fixing peoples issues for them, and insisted on them advising either what the specific error message was and what exact process they were doing, or ask them to tell me exactly what step of the process they got to/what they were expecting to happen/what actually happened. Even if I have to remote in or visit someone's desk to fix something, i'll make them go through the procedure with me watching (and big surprise, either it works fine when they actually follow it, or I point out to them where they're not actually following it which is causing their issue).

power likes this.
  4. Unframed

Unframed Member

Prepared is fine.
    Having technical teams gather information from sales regarding the sales process to hand off to another technical team is some serious double-handling.

Nope.

Yep, Enterprise AF.

Yeah so I really loathe the mentality of just log in and fix it. Like I'm dealing with MSPs, Enterprise tech teams, people who should have serious IT knowledge and they just want you to remote in and do their job for them. Often you start a remote session and they just walk off and make you fix it. They don't know or care about maintaining their own systems and its worse still that 90% of our cases are user config issues. I really wonder if a lot of these outsourced techs even know the basics of IT or if they just delegate all issues to other teams.

Now don't get me wrong, if a remote session is needed, I'm all for it. I don't want to sit on a session because you don't know your server host name or some garbage.

5. millsy

millsy Member

Didn't MSY get absolutely reamed for pulling that? Lol

freaky_beeky likes this.
  6. BAK

BAK Member

Yep, I'm in exactly the same boat. People I talk to are all trained and certified on the product, and should know what they're doing. Moreover, if there's a guide specifically written to collect trace/log information to assist with troubleshooting, no I'm not going to remote in to collect that trace/log information for you. It amazes me how many "techs" are out there who just don't give a shit about technology. Why are you even doing the job?

Unframed likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

For the money. As long as the skills shortage exists, and as long as there's no burden of proof around qualifications, it will pay moderately well for low skills, and attract people who are in it for a quick buck.

Couple that with business' inability to recognise a need for good technical people (let alone the ability to objectively rank "good" from "bad"), which in turn drives them to under-resource arguably the world's most necessary business resource, and you end up with the current situation.

Unframed likes this.
  8. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

that's why its good. Lenovo consumer is as horrific as the rest.

Problem arises when you need vendor software to do stuff that native windows can't e.g. Dell Power Manager to change AC and fan profiles. Granted not a ton of this.

9. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

As much as I want to say you're right, the world keeps on turning, so something must be going right as well? Or are we just all absorbing horrific inefficiencies as the cost of doing business?

10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Businesses make up the inefficiencies by working staff to the breaking point, using staff as consumables.

Unframed likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    elvis

We're seeing more exploits than ever, more identify fraud than ever, more enormous outages than ever, more state sponsored hacking than ever.

When it's all shit, shit is normal. The world kept turning through the dark ages when we burned witches. But now we've got the hindsight to look back and go "yeah, that was pretty fucked". The problem with a current status quo is that too many people are too busy being offended by criticism (or profiteering from mediocrity) to be bothered putting in the effort to recognise shortfalls and change.

Merely existing, and carrying on the current level of crapness, is not a valid justification for acceptance of it. It might be fact that too many people accept mediocrity, but it doesn't make it OK. It didn't make it OK a thousand years ago. And it doesn't make it OK today.

And if you liked that back-of-a-cereal-box philosophy, have some more:
    https://twitter.com/rcbregman/status/1109917271315615745

phrosty-boi likes this.
  12. syx

syx Member

elvis getting more philosophical by the week, how long until he goes the way of professor Ted Kaczynski

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

I'm more likely to build a cabin off the grid and spend the rest of my days tending to a small self-sustaining farm.

I envisage my mid-life crisis to be something to that effect.

14. tensop

tensop Member

by the same stroke, IT is a bullshit industry.. why is everyone in this thread wasting their time not doing something that can change the world? :)

15. power

power Member

um, not sure you understand, appreciate or perceive the impact of computers on the world around you.

you want a bullshit industry, check finance more importantly check stocks and shares.

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

samus and power like this.
  17. cvidler

cvidler Member

while IT remains "black magic" to HR drones and management types, it will remain fair to easy for the skill-less to bluff their way past then even less skilled. especially while you can bypass HR by literally ticking the right boxes on linkedin.

18. tensop

tensop Member

so basically.... dat money?

I was going to nitpick it when i saw CS in there listed among the engineering degrees, but they sorted that one later in the slideshow

unfortunately in 2019 you can either 1- live like a hippie, 2- get a job where the pay is decent, or in the case of saving the world - 3- spend the next 15-20 years as a research assistant getting paid $2.50/hr renting an apartment with 5 colleagues

bigger things need to change if you want to ensure people better suited to scientific endeavors stay out of 'bullshit' industries like finance

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  19. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kaczynski#Life_in_Montana

20. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I can just envisage elvis' cabin in the woods. Possibly the only off grid cabin in the woods on earth with an arcade gaming room with pacman and asteroid world records nobody will ever know about.

elvis and cvidler like this.