Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Population: Everyone

Not just you, I'm seeing a marked uptick in CEO/Payroll/Accounts fraud, I hesitate to call is spear phishing, because the initial e-mails are still casting a very wide net.

Rules appending <External> to e-mails from e-mails outside the organisation.
    Rules preventing <CEO NAME> from appearing in the From header, from messages originating outside the organistation (bonus points if your C-Levels regularly e-mail their PA's from their home accounts)

User education and training, especially for those in Payroll and accounts.

Then we would need to spend money on bandwidth, letting everyone download it.

2. Tinian

Tinian Member

Your announcement doesn't have to be seen by everyone...

3. bcann

bcann Member

Yeah its a perpetual thing the training that i do, and the annual phishing email runs i do (Which i am due to do again soon as its nearly been a year) in which *Sigh* 35% of our userbase STILL FUCKING CLICKS ON THE LINK AND ENTERS IN THEIR FUCKING USERNAME AND PASSWORD TOO!!!!

Even still, we do appear to be getting better, but i am waiting for the day it does happen, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Maybe then we will actually put in the IT competency questions into the interview process, and maybe, just maybe we will also put in simple IT tests to the pre-job offer stage.

4. Gunna

Gunna Member

Time to introduce a process for purchasing gift cards, they should require approval\sign off or ban it entirely. How people can assume the ATO\Centrelink\insert agency takes fucking Apple gift cards as payment is stupid and the people that fall for it in a business environment need to be culled and stopped from breeding

All account related changes should also be signed off and verified if the request came by email.

millsy likes this.
  5. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

I'd say it's pretty common these days.
    We get them quite a bit.
    That's not to say you don't need a holiday.

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Go through HR. outline the business risks of stupid people, in business terms - dollars lost, contracts lost, licenses lost Get sign-off on a management plan for repeat offenders.

Strike 1 - Mandatory training
    Strike 2 - Loss of internet access
    Strike 3 - Written warning
    Strike 4 - Fired

elvis likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

8. bcann

bcann Member

134 days and counting, CMON Hawaii/Alaska Cruise (Glaciars)/Canada (Vancouver) for my 40th birthday.

I've seen the odd spear phish campaign, but we've gotten more then our fair share of late is all.

9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

There is a retrieval cost! ;)

Negatory, I like privacy so no social media with my real identity exists.

elvis 3 avatar changes no automation, your living in MS land buddy.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  10. miicah

miicah Member

What kind of software should I be looking at to manage small IT Projects? Things like Jira seem more leant towards software development, but the kind of projects are more like:
    • Software rollouts
    • Desktop upgrades/refreshes
    • Script implemention/improvements
    Things like that. In my view, something like Microsoft Project is too large/complicated for simple stuff like this. However we would also like to avoid adding on another "thing" to check every day. We have access to service-now but our contract doesn't include any of the project management stuff.

11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

It exists... you just didn't create it :).

We've seen targetted attempts at C level staff who don't have social media. An educated guess says data was scraped from professional publications or from other pwned mailboxes :).

Excel.

NSanity and millsy like this.
  12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

I'm well aware of what Big Bidness collects, and Gubermints, I helped collect the data in 90s and early/mid 00s before "Big Data" was a thing we called it "Data Warehousing" and before that we called it data.

* I deliberately left out "Business Intelligence" because most BI systems and people using then are far from intelligent.

cvidler and PabloEscobar like this.
  13. bcann

bcann Member

and elvis just cried

I hear if you say it 3 times into a linux command shell elvis remotes in and rm -rf's your system

Or maybe its chmod 777

I don't know ;)

elvis likes this.
  14. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Jira can do it - Jira Core is good for generic project management. You can hide any particular fields you don't need.
    SmartSheet is also good if you just want a multi-user Gantt chart, however it won't let you log details against particular tasks or subprojects. That's where Jira is good.

miicah likes this.
  15. Unframed

Unframed Member

I used Jira for that and helpdesk ticketing at my last place. Works quite well, also using confluence for the documentation side is pretty seemless

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  16. greebs

greebs Member

Another Jira+Confluence user here for very similar project types. Seems to be what many companies are using (especially if they're using it for Dev too).

17. cvidler

cvidler Member

nah, just aliases 'exit' to rm -rf /

18. cvidler

cvidler Member

Make sure all IT policy emails are poorly written, use the wrong logo, and come from a gmail address. then everyone will read and follow them.

and as an added bonus you may get some beer money to your bitcoin address.

dave_dave_dave likes this.
  19. Perko

Perko Member

Ok did that, what do I do with the $50k worth of Apple cards on my desk? OCAU swap and shop?

bcann likes this.
  20. cvidler

cvidler Member

Can you get beer from the Apple store?

if not bin them, useless garbage.

Perko likes this.