Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Well, it was still typical to fit two, with each feeding one of the redundant flight computers. And Boeing did offer an optional Angle of Attack Disagree indicator (past tense because I believe it will be standard going forward), because they knew that was a condition that could happen which pilots might like to know about.

You would think the people designing MCAS would have known that, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    You would think the people reviewing MCAS would be expecting to see a system with some redundancy and have flagged a system without it as problematic, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    You would think the FAA would be looped into a review process for safety-critical design elements, but....well, actually, they used to be, but aerospace companies poached nearly everyone who could do that job to work for them directly so they came up with a system whereby the manufacturers largely regulate themselves. I mean, they're experts, I'm sure it'll be fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PabloEscobar likes this.
  2. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Yeah hence my confusion!

3. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Because car anal logies are best anal logies.

If I tell you I've got $100K to spend, and want a 'car', you're NEVER selling me a shitbox kia, even if it 100% meets my actual needs, to pretend otherwise is bollocks.

If I say "I want to buy a car, what have you got", and you list your cars, what their features are, and what the prices are... then you are giving me choices.

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

Except I have - many times. And as a result built a relationship that lasted years and was far more profitable for us long term - as well as far better for the client.

I get that you've only been touched by people resembling the catholic church - but one day you'll believe me that not everyone is out to bend you over.

5. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I hope so, But how will I know when I finally meet them?

6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

And sadly Kia had to be kicked in this discussion. Kia, and Hyundai actually spent a fortune on R&D during and after the GFC and emerged on the other side with high quality cars and some of the best warranties going. You could do far far worse with one of the 'quality' brands. Guess the point here is what you think you know about something isn't always well rooted in reality.

7. Gunna

Gunna Member

We bought a 2012 Kia Sportage platinum that was 2 years old and and really happy with it, its never missed beat, is roomy and is comfortable to drive. We even converted the FIL from the U.S when he visited and was calling KIA's a POS. Now he has bought one and loves it

8. CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

9. Gunna

Gunna Member

People still use MYOB?

upload_2019-4-30_9-27-0.png

10. NSanity

NSanity Member

The build quality between Kia/Hyundai-anything and VAG/Merc/BMW just isn't even remotely comparable. Sure they play with Japan now, but there is still another tier to go.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Unframed likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Box huggers.

12. bcann

bcann Member

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison either.

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

Wait, so what you're saying is that taking car analogies to their logical conclusions makes them entirely inappropriate as an explanation device for complex I.T. concepts?

Well, colour me surprised.

miicah, freaky_beeky, samus and 2 others like this.
  14. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Definitely some room for debate there. I can hear the eyes rolling from here, but looking at some aged mercs these days, an aged kia is holding up pretty damned well. Bonus points unlike volkswagon they didn't feel the need to gas any monkeys to try and prove how clean their diesel exhaust is, after they were done trying to gas the entire planet.. Clearly they aren't the luxury marque that the euros are, but the argument that spawned the original analogy was along the lines of quality, reliability, fit for purpose etc yeah? You drop 60k on something like the top spec Santa Fe and you get all the toys, you get good build quality and you get a car that's going to last. You also get a manufacturer that will take care of you if something goes wrong, unlike merc who think consumer law is optional.

bcann likes this.
  15. g00nster

g00nster Member

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

Filed under "words invented by marketdroids".

Fred Nurk likes this.
  17. Perko

Perko Member

By accidentally missing the c key and pretending it was a (key)stroke of genius.

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

Oh lawds...

NSanity and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  19. Perko

Perko Member

Arguing with yourself again? How'd that mental health day go?

NSanity, 2SHY and elvis like this.
  20. cvidler

cvidler Member

It's easy, dunno why no one has done it already, I'd do it, but I'm busy ringing tokens, and working on zero latency wifi.

Perko, GumbyNoTalent and Luke212 like this.