Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. chip

chip Member

UBI is a capitalist sop to prevent the workers rising up and seizing the means of production to achieve fully automated gay luxury space communism

Perko and PabloEscobar like this.
  2. Gunna

Gunna Member

Every business is different however from our office and due to being medical related:

Training records (only recently has the FDA -we are an american company - done an audit and changes requirements in some areas so we can finally move to digital training records)
    Internal approvals for international money transfers (digital signatures not allowed as they could be scanned off a previous approval and inserted)
    Purchase orders - internal emails may be used for smaller valued items however large ticket items usually would require multiple signatures

We are moving a number of process digitally however if a business doesn't have the skills or funds to move processes digitally then a lot of approvals, especially internally related to finance may require a physical signature. These may not be legally required but internally the process may be in place to prevent fraud.

3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

The majority of printing here is for page proofing. There was a brief push to have it all done electronically a while back, but the error rate shot through the roof and the idea quickly abandoned.

Would definitely be interested in seeing the same trial run again on e-ink screens.

4. bcann

bcann Member

But what was the actual error rate that went through the sky? Was it just people not paying enough attention on a screen and missing spelling/grammatical errors or was it more something else that only seeing it on paper makes it obvious? Not that i believe in such a reason, to me its more lack of attention to detail.

5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Digtial Signing of electronic documents has been a thing for a few years now and removes fraud opportunities.

Reluctance of individuals to modify their behaviours is the only real reason we still have printers when there is no legal reason for paper, which is funny because if you fired the individual and they got a new job in a company where they couldn't print to paper they would modify their behaviors. Would be easy to mandate at a guberment level by placing a levy on printer paper to "help the environment / recycling" making it a good commercial decision to avoid paper.

6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Missing spelling/grammar etc mistakes. The guys doing this are under pretty serious time constraints and simply couldn't do as good a job off the screen. The trial was run shortly after 24" monitors became the new standard, but the bigger size just didn't help.

I kinda get it myself. I mean, firstly I don't know how they do it in the first place, my mind autocorrects errors on the fly, I mostly don't even see them. If the program doesn't put a squiggly line under it for me I'll probably never notice. These guys are required to notice regardless. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Sounds like a job for robots - https://www.grammarly.com/

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

This is the number one reason I print. I still don't think e-ink will fix my workflow - the ability to bounce backwards and forwards and compare/markup the document quickly is unmatched with physical paper and pen/highlighter, etc.

What I shitpost on social media has a very very different quality requirement to solution design and documentation for enterprise with 6-7 figures attached to it.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    2SHY likes this.
  9. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

That would involve spending money in a useful fashion, first on grammarly, and then on integration. Pretty sure there's a rule somewhere against spending money in a useful way. It's the only explanation for observed company spending.

What grammarly wouldn't help with is the local knowledge side of things. Proper names, places, titles. You can have something spelled 100% right and written in perfect grammar and still be completely wrong.

Yeah I was thinking something like a surface studio, something like that with an e-ink screen and a virtual highlighter.. Of course it'd take a hundred years proofing before you recouped the cost of the hardware over money saved printing so may as well kill the trees.

10. Gunna

Gunna Member

Can't you upload a library of known words?

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yeah, you can train these things, add specific local dictionaries. This shit ain't new.

As I re-iterated once already, that quote was specific to the knobs who print out banal emails "because they can't read from a screen" (not "prefer" a different medium, no. They exclaim physical inability at any level to perceive text on a screen).

Fair enough if you're proofing a thesis or squillion dollar tender. I'm talking idiots who "shitpost" emails all day, and print those, "because screens". Worse, most just print because muscle memory, and then don't collect said prints. So even the "because screens" reason is bullshit - they're not only incompetent, but they're also liars.

samus likes this.
  12. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Could be my own lack of knowledge here, but I suspect this would be a herculean task. It would need to cover.. Australia.. It would need to be able to distinguish names and places context aware to the page and the region, and some of those names may only be relevant for a set period of time. I can see it helping in a limited fashion, I can't see it removing the need for a human to go over everything the robot has already done with the same level of diligence.

13. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Just about every document viewing platform including browsers has a postit note / highlighting function available.

14. NSanity

NSanity Member

and its fucking shithouse. Tablets w/ Pens are close - but if i want to compare 2-4 pages that are 20-30 apart, quickly, its awful.

I'm literally sitting here now with a 38in ultrawide that can show 5-6 pages side by side quite comfortably - it still sucks.

2SHY and olie like this.
  15. tensop

tensop Member

I'm fine with that, as long as it doesnt turn the frogs gay

16. chip

chip Member

Anyone else find it a little depressing that the expanding galaxy brain geniuses running everything still need words on paper before they will engage with an idea?

17. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Listening to the radio on the way home on Friday, they were discussing automated filtering of election material, and how much trouble it has with Australianisms.

Australia, Where strangers are Mates, and Mates are *****

18. NSanity

NSanity Member

Whiteboards usually get people over the line for me. The Paperwork is really just a guarantee of product and quality - something that the recipient thinks protects them, when in most cases, it outlines exactly why they got what they did.

Perhaps they should read more than the initial summary, a table or two, the price and the sign here bit.

19. olie

olie Member

I have fallen in love with our surface hub for this reason.

Its the best world between whiteboard and digital.

20. shredder

shredder Member

Sad but true. E-docing is a cool theory. But it's just abstraction. Paper shuffling abstracted to mouse shuffling. 360 degree world and large physical desktops abstracted to a small flat panel.

Even your 38" would make a tiny physical desktop on which to arrange and mark up a complex document.