Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Perko

Perko Member

It's more about diameter than colour with pineapples isn't it?

elvis likes this.
  2. tobes

tobes Member

They should default it to CN and then when someone forgets to change it arrest them for being a commie sympathiser.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  3. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

Something something new side channel attack on OOOe cpu's, something something OOOe aren't totally broken security wise, something something told you so........

4. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://www.cyberus-technology.de/posts/2019-05-14-zombieload.html
    LOL even more silicon based exploits...

Yeah yeah some of the exploits I've posted require privilege to exploit, but its about time we looked at silicon based programming with the same scruitiny we do traditional software.

EDIT - my interest in the topic has been sparked by the continuious rejection of custom firmware I'm currently having written for a project, seems extensive testing isn't a thing.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Hive likes this.
  5. Hive

Hive Member

ITS ALL LABORS FOLT

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Very unlikely at this point. My choices appear to be spiralling into insanity or death by mediocrity and boredom.

There really doesn't appear to be anyone doing anything that is a combination of "interesting" and "pays well" anywhere in this (land mass) quarter of the nation.

I threw my hat in the ring to volunteer to a new project that's a collaboration between Play It Again and ACMI, where they're attempting to do a similar thing to what archive.org do where you can play old games in your browser (here's an example of DOS games, but there's heaps of other systems online too). This project will focus mostly on Australian and New Zealand software, games, media and other stuff, primarily from the 20th century (back when Australia had a budding software industry, long before anyone with talent fucked off overseas to do something more interesting like they do today).

But that's all unpaid, because it has zero commercial value. Paid work - there's a dozen high paying gambling mobs that are all keen for my skills. So it appears in 2019 there's great money to be made ruining people's lives. How nice.

8. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

The work would be interesting, and the budget good. The percentage of lives ruined, is quiet small overall, You currently work for a firm produces advertising... I'd argue that's a greater blight on society.

If you could engineer Sportsbet's solution to not crash every time there is a big race, I'd be much appreciated.

9. Unframed

Unframed Member

As a westy, I resent that. Regardless of the truth of the matter.

elvis likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    elvis

I 100% agree. I loathe that part of my job, and it's right up there with a list of reasons to leave.

Ditto for the part of our business dedicated to political campaigns.

11. Gunna

Gunna Member

A good portion of working adults have the same sentiment so you're not special in that aspect. Every long term job eventually turns into that feeling unless you're in a business\industry that is cutting edge or can find something else in the business to keep you engaged. Some people reach it earlier in their careers, especially those that aren't technology based.

You're never going to find a perfect job unless you are the head of the business driving it toward your vision.

consulting work that could be charged a premium which, when averaged out with your volunteer work could potentially have you staying on or close to your current salary.

12. Perko

Perko Member

You're a resentful bunch over there.

Unframed likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    elvis

I dunno. Marvel had a gig going for a storage engineer a while back. Outside of living and working in the US, everything else about the job was pretty perfect.

There's also industry rumours that folks about the same size and technical scope are sniffing around the idea of setting up in Queensland. If that's the case, I'll just be waiting 1-2 years for that to occur. (Although I also don't like the idea of waiting 1-2 years for a "maybe").

14. Gunna

Gunna Member

You're still potentially dealing with people\management that see I.T as a drain, ignore requests until it impacts their bottom line and then it's an I.T problem or be in the position long enough that the challenges are presenting them as frequently. Any job can seem perfect until you get int he role and can see under the rug

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yeah, but I've had a bit of a peek under said rug from a variety of sources in and around that rug, and it looks a lot better than my current rug.

Literally the only thing stopping me there is the US health care system, and my shitty health history.

16. Unframed

Unframed Member

Surely Marvel offer employee healthcare. I know my corporate overlords offer it to us here in australia because the US office gets it too.

17. bcann

bcann Member

It'd still be a huge out of pocket expense, that may or may not outweigh what he currently gets, compared to what he could get.

18. NSanity

NSanity Member

elvis history would preclude him from cover in most circumstances - and cost an actual fortune.

Unframed and elvis like this.
  19. OP
    OP
    elvis

This. "Pre-existing condition".

USA! USA!

20. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

THEY'RE TAKING ME UTE