Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Not in Brisbane heat they're not.

Consider just how retarded it is that we all wear Victorian era clothing from the UK in our climate, and then run exceptionally power-inefficient cooling to deal with our retarded choice of clothing.

The Samoans have got it right. We should all be wearing lavalavas. Fuck this colonial dress bullshit.

DavidRa and phrosty-boi like this.
  2. Hive

Hive Member

RANT post.

Office 365 Clutter, Focused Inbox, Being limited to 16 character passwords, The auto generated passwords which are pathetically simple.

Telstras fucking smart modem and all the salesman and marketing push for it, every time i hear an ad for it i have a nervous twitch. Unstable POS with it's default 10 digit WiFI PIN. And the network name that makes it easy to find every one of those fuckers around you, capture a WPA2 auth and crack the password in a second because nobody changes the password ever. SMB #fwp.

May as well throw a rant in there that almost every MSP out there is a fucking scam artist.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    bcann and elvis like this.
  3. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

Hive likes this.
  4. Hive

Hive Member

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  5. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

Yep i agree about clutter and the focused inbox. Just give me fucking email in a chronological order ffs.

I believe it was only changed last week.

EvilGenius likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    elvis

One thing I love about GSuite is that I treat it like a quasi CLI. I don't sort anything, and just use the search bar for everything.

Drives my co-workers bananas. I love it. :)

phrosty-boi and Hive like this.
  7. tensop

tensop Member

dont worry, with climate change we'll be wearing what the miners were in ep3 of chernobyl

8. millsy

millsy Member

My only point of disagreement is if we're talking jeans vs suit pants, I know my suit pants breathe way better than jeans so feel cooler, given the choice between jeans and a polo or suit I'd choose suit. Bring on shorts and t-shirts baby! Or those cool arabic robe things, they seem useful for hot weather.

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

My current workplace outfit.

Also down for this. It's almost like people who've lived in hot climates for ages came up with better clothing for hot climates than the 19th Century British ever did. Go figure.

phrosty-boi likes this.
  10. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I've been doing the same with the Windows Search bar, When it's not being pants-on-head, It's really good... but when It's bad, It's really bad.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

Windows is getting closer and closer to 100% CLI with each release. Slowly but surely it'll turn into a competent OS.

12. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

I have added one folder to my inbox purely so I can apply a rule to pull certain notification emails out of my primary inbox so I can give them a cursory glance later before I delete them.
    Otherwise I have to read them on my phone and fuck that.

Everything else goes straight into my inbox where's it's either read and kept or read and deleted.

Except for the rest of the notifications I don't care about which get moved straight to deleted courtesy of a rule.

13. Gunna

Gunna Member

Fucking Optus. 7 hour routing issue effecting mobile data and of course our IP addresses for Lob and emails are in the range effected. 7 hours counting and only a tweet after 5pm to acknowledge the issue.

Nothing in outage page at 4:30pm but we will tweet after 5

14. cvidler

cvidler Member

does it give an ETA?

PabloEscobar and Hive like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    elvis

They're dropping the ball so often lately. Not a wise thing to do given how hard TPG are fighting to buy everything.

16. Gunna

Gunna Member

Nope and their outage pages sucks balls

17. Gunna

Gunna Member

We dropped Telstra due to our account manager being non-existent for 3.5 months so willing to give Optus a run, at least until contract renewal

chip likes this.
  18. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

We had that in the mid 1980's when I was using MSDOS probably around version 3.3 and someone asked me to format a floppy disk on my machine so they could check if their floppy drive was out of alignment or not and since the formatting took 2-3 minutes I inserted the floppy and started the format process and flipped back to what I was doing while the floppy was formatting in the background. I then had to explain to the person concerned who couldn't understand or even comprehend how it was possible to be doing two things at the same time on the one computer but then again I was using Nanosoft's MultiDos Plus to achieve this minor feat.

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

Sounds like most people even before computers get involved. :)

cvidler and bcann like this.
  20. bcann

bcann Member

hahahaha

another zero day released for windows that is an LPE, which me being a Windows Admin i'm not surprised by, what does however tickle my fancy is the security researcher who dropped it comments "Won't sell for less then 60k for an LPE. I don't owe society a single thing. Just want to get rich and give you fucktards in the West the middle finger." and "human society deeply disgusts me"

To me it sounds like she has worked in helpdesk :)

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/05/22/windows_zero_day/

Unframed likes this.