Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Unframed

Unframed Member

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Like a cane toad in a condom.

Unframed likes this.
  3. Gunna

Gunna Member

*sideshow bob shudder*

elvis likes this.
  4. Gunna

Gunna Member

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903

Known Windows 10 1903 issues:
    Dafaq? really? You still cannot get this shit right MS?

Unframed and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  5. Ezy2Confuze

Ezy2Confuze Member

How's this for a Help Desk request, we've just re-branded with logo, web page and premises move, so now I have to find out exactly what they want but the person who lodged the request went on leave COB the day they logged it, for three weeks.

Subject: Getting brand colours loaded into Microsoft programmes

Hi Team,

Attached is the style guide which details the codes for our brand colours on page 15.

Please can you find a way to get our colour palette into the Microsoft programmes.

Thanks in advance.

6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Easy, ask a question and state you wont progress ticket until you get an awnser, CC in appropriate managers.

7. Unframed

Unframed Member

One of the Windows 10 updates purged my 500GB redirected photo directory. That was fun.

8. bcann

bcann Member

Hows this for a excellent project:

needed some middleware/glue to talk to a few different apps and pull/push some data. ok so crayon eater who is NOT a coder but has a marketing background suggests to get dell boomi because it is "Codeless" and can connect things together, its so simple a monkey can do it. So we are nearly having to pay for year 2 subscription fee because said person still can't get shit to work. I get involved and ask a simple question to the people involved and calculate how much time per year it would save to automate this project versus how much time is spent doing it manually. given our turnover rate (project is mostly pulling/pushing data between some HR/payroll/LOB App) is 7% per year, that amounts to approx 150 minutes PER YEAR of time spent doing this "Manually". Project has cost so far excluding peoples wages $95K, so total cost to save 150 minutes per year is $633.33 per minute.

Hows that for value for money!!

Once you put peoples wages into it, that figure balloons to $1700/minute cost to save per minute!! This doesn't even include all the time wasted in pointless meetings and the salary cost of those pointless meetings, this is just direct salary of 1 person "Working" on this.

9. Unframed

Unframed Member

Focused inbox is great. I love seeing an email from barbara that has not a fucking thing to do with me from 6 weeks back sitting at the top of my inbox.

freaky_beeky likes this.
  10. mooboyj

mooboyj Member

Tesltra Billing - Fuck you

wazza likes this.
  11. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Tell the asshat who doesn't want to do this manually to outsource it to Phillipines for about $250USD a year.

12. Gunna

Gunna Member

Chuck in complaints, account executives, plan pricing and pretty much anything that isn't actual coverage and speed to that statement too

13. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

[​IMG]

Agg Friday funny shitpost delivered

2SHY, Unframed, Agg and 1 other person like this.
  14. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

3rd attempt to get our adsl changed over to NBN for this site. Tech shows up, same DPU 200m up the street is still assigned. I had a rant at the tech asking wtf I'm even here again if they're just going to do the same shit over and over. He comes back 30mins later, they couldn't assign us a DPU from the pit right in front of the building because.. they were already assigned to this building, so the DPUs were 'full'. This is a single tenant building, it's just us. He's somehow managed to get them to reassign it on the fly without the mandatory 2 weeks to raise a new order to one of these 'full' DPU's that unsurprisingly doesn't have an order against it, and we're finally getting the connection done.

15. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

Please post back, informing us of your new installation date, as I think we all know that you're not.

looktall, cvidler and millsy_c like this.
  16. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

caspian might be able to shed some light for you on the internal processes.

17. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Ok so despite all odds it did actually happen. The story changed though, I thought it was good already but it turns out NBNco think this rather large business building is in fact a house that would only ever need one connection. All the the ports for the two DPUs out front are assigned to units next door, which according to nbnco are the same address. And if you're thinking that story makes no sense, welcome to my world.

We do now have an actual connection though. It's um.. not exactly what I would call up to standard though.

[​IMG]

Because of everything that was going on I wasn't convinced we'd actually get anything done, so when he slapped a couple of loose cables into the mdf and put a socket on the end I thought it was just testing. In the middle of a call to someone else he announces he's done and leaves. Then I realised, nope.. that's what he considered 'finished'. Just in case you can't make it out, theres two copper cables punched into the MDF with a socket on the end and the fttc modem sat on a bench. All right beside a full height rack with all our other comms gear patched nice and neatly back to it.

I mean.. if it had been done today and done properly I'd probably have died of shock so this is a good thing.. right?

18. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

[​IMG]

19. caspian

caspian Member

as with any other premises with an MDF, the Telecommunications Act specifies the carrier demarcation point is the building side of the MDF. so once the tech has run the jumper from the street to the building site, he's done - connectivity to any internal wiring or comms gear is the responsibility of the end user. he's obviously jus whacked a bit of jumper wire and a socket on there so the NCD can be synced up so he can book the job off.

20. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Maybe so, but in every job we've had so far the tech has patched it through to the patch panel. In any other situation I'd flag this as the most 'not my job' action I'd seen, but old mate actually managed to get the impossible done by having them reassign the port in a single phone call, vs the 2 weeks to raise a new order it's taken every other time, so I'll give him a pass. That and I was able to repatch it myself in all of 2 mins so really just funny.