Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

Just connect JIRA to Freshdesk then disconnect it, delete all your issues :cool:

2. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Come now, we're not all useless. I won't deny there are pockets of institutionalised abuse still, but there are parts of Telstra that are more like PS organisations of old - strongly tech people who actually can do things.

But those of us in THAT boat are generally as hamstrung as customers...

3. Unframed

Unframed Member

Get CEO's nephew to run LOIC on site for 10 minutes. It's fine.

4. cvidler

cvidler Member

Different hipsters

5. bcann

bcann Member

Maybe its just the cynic in me, but how many teachers didn't give their kids the login details, or unplugged the WAP's and other things, because they hate the NAPLAN, and dislike being "Ranked" or just as a general FU to the government.

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Hanlon's Razor says fuckup is more likely than malice.

Fred Nurk likes this.
  7. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Doesn't make the question any less relevant - just the expected magnitude of the answer.

8. melatonin

melatonin Member

Like a teacher wouldn't even know how to unplug a WAP lol

9. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Based on the waps I've seen in schools, they require enough effort to unplug them so as to rule out teachers even bothering to do it let alone know how to.

Edit: I reckon this is bandwidth related.
    The sudden surge in connectivity overwhelming the infrastructure locally at the affected schools.

10. tensop

tensop Member

a teacher wouldnt know how to unplug a wap, and a school ignoring NAPLAN is a great way for the suits to walk in and sack a bunch of people - they wouldnt dare

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

Some of the news articles suggested there was also (not only) a bunch of "forgot username/password" issues, which isn't surprising in the least.

I pretty much consider remembering username/password to be the very first "technical competency" lesson in the modern world. That's half your helpdesk paycheque right there.

12. syx

syx Member

The way naplan works there is no need to remember user/pass, that wasnt the issue.
    Bandwidth would only be an issue in a tiny amount of schools, naplan bandwidth was relatively tiny. (3-5mb down average for 100 conceurrent test sitters is what I saw)
    News reports were mostly full of shit.
    The major problems were the windows client safeexambrowser and something (load/shitecode/wedontknow) on the naplan servers.
    There were work arounds that got past all the issues with a little patience.

tl:dr
    It was surprisingly good for a gubbermint run project.

IMHO !

elvis likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    elvis

This is not difficult to believe. The press are terrible at understanding anything computer related.

14. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

So... Schools sharing a shitty regional ADSL connection between the entire school, or a satellite connection that uses the phone line as a uplink would have no issues. :rolleyes:

PS - just noticed Mt Gambier as your location, surely (stop call me Shirley) you understand regional interwebs issues. ;)

15. syx

syx Member

good points shirley, and some times absolutely the problem, but surprisingly bandwidth was almost never a problem, even the worst 1mb connections could run it and *usually* the schools with the worst connections are tiny schosls and therefore have much lower concurrent users and therefore less likely to be a bandwidth problem.

my observations are based on my tech support network of ~40 schools that I talk with daily.

naplan wasnt that bad technically, copying the US standardised testing seems like more of a problem

back to regular shitposting in 3. 2. 1....

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  16. bcann

bcann Member

Gah,

bloody programmers.... DO NOT EVER FREAKEN INSTALL PROGRAMS IN C:\Program DATA

As i found out today literally any user can copy files out of any subfolder in there and put them on their desktop, thus breaking a LOB application....

17. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

This sounds more likely the fault of the person who installed the software, or configured the deployment, more-so than the users or the "programmer".
    If you can't change the default installation location, I might then have some sympathy for your situation.

18. bcann

bcann Member

You can't its one of them "Auto updating" programs that runs in a user context. so instead of installing under the proper location like C:\program files where it requires an admin to update, they dump it in C:\program data where users can update....

19. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

WTF even the location names make sense to a non-windows programmer like me, put the file in the "files" directory and the data in the "data" directory, and surely ;) you write install code to allow for custom locations.

20. bcann

bcann Member

Not my code..... but i've noticed of late lazy programmers since most companies block the appdata directory are starting to write stuff to go to C:\program data by default, because there lazy and want things to work as there is from what i see ZERO real permissions on that folder.