Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Unframed

Unframed Member

Got the promotion to our unix team.

Rant: Waiting on the long ass hiring period (for my replacement) to move over officially.

Daemon, Perko, 2SHY and 4 others like this.
  2. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

That was quick! Good luck with teh oraclez

Unframed likes this.
  3. Unframed

Unframed Member

Thankfully we have buttloads of training.

4. Luke212

Luke212 Member

given everyones move to cloud i wonder what internal IT will be doing in 5 years?

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Whatever the next "goldrush" is. Blockchain, probably.

6. miicah

miicah Member

You still have to manage it...

7. melatonin

melatonin Member

Same thing I do now, browse reddit and shitpost on OCAU

8. chip

chip Member

would you like to invest in my startup? we're building a blockchain...for blockchain startups.

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I just blockchained all my bitcoin into your e-purse. We're gonna be RICH.

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

I not sure if its just me, but do other people hear "bollockchain" instead of "blockchain" when marketing types talk about the benefits or their bollockchain technology?

bollocks.gif

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    phrosty-boi, 2SHY, Perko and 2 others like this.
  11. Daemon

Daemon Member

Remember when Wikipedia first came out and everyone said you can't trust it and instead you must rely on encyclopedias? I want to go back to those days, even if it means searching by and through 26 volumes of the Encyclopedia Britannica to find the right bit.

Just to make you happier about the world:
    Glad you understand IT so well :) Let me know when IT driven systems and their complexity are on the decline and therefore need less resources. Cloud just means you can offset this change in man hours, you don't just hit "move to cloud" and drink pina coladas for the rest of the year.

12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

LOL just finished a lengthy discussion with someone who invited me to AWS Invent in Vegas this year, they couldn't comprehend that I did not want to travel to the US while they have draconian policies requiring you to forfeit your rights at their border, even if it is a slim chance to be "interviewed" I would prefer to go to a country as a visitor and be welcomed not interrogated.

13. Gunna

Gunna Member

Uuummmmm hate to tell you but the entry(and exit) is painless. Well has been for the last 5 annual visits I have done for work.

All they ask is what's your purpose for visiting, where are you staying, can I see your return ticket....... On your way. No different into any other country. No passwords or unlocking of laptops etc

14. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Yeah but you go there 5 times a year, last time I was there was last century, and I have a Linux laptop with no GUI.

15. Perko

Perko Member

Was the same last time I was there in ~2014.

I think you're overestimating how interested they'll be in you lol.

16. Gunna

Gunna Member

Aussie passport? Direct from Au? Etsa application? Chances are practically 0 of being questioned further.

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://status.braintreepayments.com/
    Oh Braintree down

https://qz.com/1642423/telegram-hit-by-china-linked-ddos-attack-during-hong-kong-protests/
    Telegram being DDOS'd from China while HK protests continue.

Yeah, but my paranoia since being involved with DigSig and shit I have on my laptop, has required a new layer of tinfoil.

PS - out of principal while Trump is president I have no interest.

I have been many times prior to 2000, I have objections, and not interested in Vegas.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  18. scips

scips Member

We are remaining onsite at most locations since the POS(piece of sh*t) POS vendors equip smashes SQL hard and they blame disk latency when it fails to do reporting tasks.
    Still the supermicro/raid1 setup is a huge improvement over the desktop MFF dells they were using before.

19. Luke212

Luke212 Member

i cry a little when i see 5/6 figures rolling out month by month for reasonably poor cloud performance. but its too hard to build a datacenter, so i wipe my tears and bend over again.

(should say 'too hard to build a datacenter to 2019 standards')

20. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

What about my Prison e-purse?

Cracker of a lead-in Friday shitpost.

Good internal IT will be doing the same thing they always have - Helping the business that employs them, better use technology (whatever flavor that tech may be) to achieve business outcomes.
    Bad internal IT will be doing the same thing they always have - Misleading their employers about hyow hard menial tasks are, and doing whatever it takes to keep the 'IT is a dark art, and only I, and my fellow neckbeards may do it" vibe going.

TBH, I'm more interested in what Shit Tier MSP's are going to do, once the Cloud finishes cutting their lunch, and they can't ream customers for occasionally clicking Next-next finish on an Exchange CU or windows updates.
    and what other MSP's are going to do, when their 'managed service desk' product just turns into indians, talking to other indians, to resolve issues with cloud products, and their customers realise how little value they provide.

I've seen a marked uptick in places that don't run a traditional POS system. If your industry is big enough to use customised POS software AND to have competition in that space, there's already a cloud versions in the works from at least one of the vendors in your space.

If you're not big enough, and are using RetailManager or similar - there is already plenty viable replacements.

More and more places are just using a tablet, connected direct to a cloud service for their POS solution.

POS systems don't smash SQL hard because they are complicated, the Smash it hard because "Select * From *" is the extent of their knowledge.

GumbyNoTalent and elvis like this.