Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Perko

Perko Member

That's a euphemism for masturbation, right?

2. tensop

tensop Member

depends, that'd be cheating.. can you even cheat on yourself? leftie righty i guess :)

3. cvidler

cvidler Member

Mrs Palmer can be the jealous type.

4. Unframed

Unframed Member

But a 3way is ok?

Hive likes this.
  5. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

It's not cheating if they're in agreeance with said behaviour.

6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Meh... I'm all for outsourcing.

7. Unframed

Unframed Member

That's why I got a wife

Rant: People who don't understand how time zones work. Bloke abuses a colleague of mine because he raised a case at 8PM PST and got his case assigned to an APAC engineer and that engineer wont be working at 8AM PST. He ignored the fact that we can assign it to the working region and just lost his shit because he didn't understand how raising a case from the US at night would go to an APAC team.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  8. bcann

bcann Member

YAY for teams being a skype replacement.... NOT
    it chews 6 * the memory and is a CPU whore....

God what a POS...

9. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Isn't that just using 2 hands?

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've been spoiled rotten by GSuite for over 5 years now. Web meetings, sharing shit quickly, multiple people marking up / reviewing work, automagic AI email completions, translations, image metadata tagging, automatic calendar/phone reminders from email content - total no brainer, piece of cake. I take it all for granted now, but it's amazing how much it accelerates my work life.

Preparing myself for going back in time to 1990s groupware in my new gig. I'm 100% expecting to walk into 90's paradigm Microsoft shitsville. But, on the pro side, I won't actually need to be efficient any more now that I'm no longer responsible for ~5 FTEs worth of work, so that's a plus I guess.

phrosty-boi and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  11. bcann

bcann Member

Hey skype was/is just fine and does what it says on the box, its just that some fucken hipstet @ms said we have to compete with slack, so lets buy up a company, and bloat up their program and force everyone to migrate to it so we can get great numbers for our marketing crap...

12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Don't forget 6x hardware requirements so people will need to upgrade hardware that means more OEM License sales as well. :thumbup:

13. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Genuinely looking forward to the rants from this new job. M$ land.. and nothing but free time to complain about it :lol:

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

It's 2019, and "Exchange + Office + Skype" doesn't cut it any more. Ask yourself why most startups avoid those tools and use faster moving, more integrated ones.

Microsoft are in it for the long game. They know what happened to "enterprisey" things like mainframe - sure, people still need it today, but subscriptions are dwindling. Microsoft can't maintain their success on 90s style software any more, which is why all these changes.

I know the rant thread likes to whine about "cloud first mobile first" and how "established business doesn't want that", but honestly the old method of 90s style groupware has to go if Microsoft want more than just old companies renewing old subscriptions, while new companies head towards more modern tech.

We see it in new hires every day. Someone comes on board from a big/slow corporate, and they're aghast at GSuite - too different, too much change, too hard. How can they even manually sort lists of things and trawl through screens full of information for hours on end? What about the digital paper shuffling???

Meanwhile you hire someone from a startup or smaller place, and they're up and running in minutes, getting shit done, being productive, sorting the chaff from the wheat and getting on with the important stuff, because their tools allow them to do so.

It's a fast moving, noisy world. Tools that don't help people get past that aren't going to last much longer. And yeah, security is hard, and shadow IT is hard, and accounts don't want to fund upgrades. I get it. But man, business needs to leave the 20th century behind. (And I say this as someone who *loves* 20th century technology as a hobby).

I'm more than a little apprehensive about the boredom factor. But I'm also more than a little burned out now, so it'll be a welcome change for the first month at least.

But it's all good. There's a long term plan there, which this is a part of. Just a stepping stone.

15. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

As I suggest previously take your own personal laptop and interwebs, you will most likely be without any usuable computer/interwebs for weeks, and not be able to do anything productive... well evar!

PS elvis be sure to play nice so once you finish your contract and eventually go out on your own you can become a gubermint preferred supplier, then you can try for all the cool "we want to be cutting edge and get awards and be seen to be cool" managers beating a path to use you, for pilot projects, which are the good ones because they don't need to implement anything just POC.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    elvis likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    elvis

So fascinating to hear (and soon experience) how "businesses" that don't have to worry about profit run.

Maybe all my hate on capitalism is misplaced, and it truly is the only way to motivate regular, lazy, selfish humans.

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Watch Brazil again before starting.

elvis likes this.
  18. bcann

bcann Member

See to a degree i agree with what your saying, but i'd also argue its moreso the ability (or lack thereof) of the new hire moreso and the need to show how good they are, moreso then the tool. and yes when you only have a hammer everything looks like a nail, but all i see on the new "Tools" are a bunch of feel good memes, more gifs and more "Pretty Shit" that adds ZERO productivity (at least in the suites we run with) and more procrastination worthy shit. For me a tool is literally that, it's just a tool (i treat them like i treat a car, it's just something to get me from A to B, and most of the time given i drive a lot of hire cars, they all kinda blur into one another after a while, with little if much at all to distinguish most of them between the others) and once you get down to it, the tool matters little if the idiot behind it can't drive it for shit, and that is more often then not what i've seen in these kind of companies that have all the latest shit (like you joke about dev's only wanting to use the newest and shiniest whatever and next week that is hipster old and fuck legacy code), Maybe i've been in the current environment too long and need to go back to somewhere filled with Can do people, rather then Can't somebody else do it, because i'm a princess and don't want too....

19. Unframed

Unframed Member

I like teams, only dislike how slow the status updates are. If someone is away it can take 10+ minutes for it to update.

20. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

I have proven results over decades to confirm this but I probably shouldn't post about it in too much detail.

Profit driven / financial penalties for non-compliance to contract - Constantly looking to improve, detail oriented, go above and beyond just in case, pleasant to work with but stressed

No threat of financial penalties - We have compliance reports? I just tick boxes on this PDF I made.