Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

OTOH their density = jerb for me.
    Unfortunately, like the poor minimum wage plebs who burn out doing online content filtering, after awhile the constant exposure to retardation either manifests itself in rage or depressing cynicism

After awhile you get ragesick of playing Galileo to their Catholic church. Repeatedly.
    So basically at this rate either you kill yourself from stress or you turn yourself into one of those barely motivated shambolic megacorp lifers who don't know whether to laugh or cry as someone finally gives you that redundancy at 52 but you know you still gotta keep working till 72 to pay for our lovely FIRE economy

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  2. bcann

bcann Member

In the late 90's the tech singularity was supposed to happen in the early 2020's.

I suspect it will be like fusion power, only a decade or two away every 2 decades...

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Transistor densities are still maintaining their trajectories. All estimates are based on how many computations can be done in a given time frame, and that has upper bounds of our computers.

I don't know of anyone predicting anything in the 90s based on real data. The only people predicting anything back then were the writers on The Jetsons.

4. bcann

bcann Member

I wouldn't call kurzweil an author of the jetsons... yeah it may not be based upon real data all the others, but again until AI is smarter then using a statistical model to "Guess" what is a cat and what isn't and can actually decipher a conversation and not just pick out a few words and guess what the intent/meaning was.... well i'm not overly worried. I'm not holding my google home as the height of AI, but fuck me that thing hardly gets anything i say right unless i dumb it the fuck down, nevermind trying to string 2 commands together and getting that right.

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

My friend, the stuff I'm working on right now makes Google home look like a child's toy (because, well, it is - bread and circuses, and all that).

Don't ever confuse what ends up in the hands of a consumer with what's actually available to the well connected and well funded.

6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Dude, pic up ya phone and use the camera, all those fancy options using fuzzy AI are using algorithms to make those decisions for you and your life easier, your just trying to confuse AI with human traits like in SciFi. There are plenty of other "AI" systems in your life that you take for granted now, and it is growing on a daily basis.

Daemon and elvis like this.
  7. Unframed

Unframed Member

Cutting hair is a waste of time. Give me a hairtie and I'm good for whatever.

Anyone else just have a telstra outage? We just lost all internet access due to a "telstra issue".

8. shredder

shredder Member

Some things that get me about that lawyer site.

1. The system seems to consist of conditional form filling.

2. These fill-out-the-template law document sites have been to go-to poster child for The Great AI/Automation Revolution for years now. That is unimpressive.

Strikes me more as a revolution in bureaucratic efficiency - essentially "making templates public" - than a revolution in Artificial Intelligence or Automation.

3. Seems that lawyering has the inside track on public and private liability. A huge aspect of automation and AI (e.g. think of self driving cars). Any other industry making such an entity may be paying a significant percentage to lawyers.

--

What else is there?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  9. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Story time:

Tuesday afternoon was when it all began.

Boss: something something Adobe CC licensing changes. Need a new image.

Me: no worries. I'll get onto it.

I download the new package.
    It's 17gb but i have 100mb NBN fibre right into my house so no worries....
    Is what i thought.

In reality it took close to 3 hours because the transfer kept going up and down but tended to hover around 2mb/s.

Then i start the build in VM.
    It takes fucking ages as usual and then after close to 2 hours of trying to install the adobe package it just says fuck it and rolls back and i end up with a perfectly fine image that doesn't have the adobe software installed.

I start again Wednesday.
    I get in early to get this thing smashed out.

Same failure.

Time to trawl the logs.

Finally i find that my VM doesn't have enough memory.
    I run the VM with 2gb of memory because I not longer have the nice fat build server that used to have in my old job so I make do with what i have and when i try to run it with 4gb of memory i typically have restart services and shit to free up enough memory form the system.

But anyway, i change my VM building script to use 4gb and soldier on.

Some hours later.

Different failure.

I test on a physical machine and it installs perfectly fine.

Trawling the logs again and it's not making sense.

Errors relating to failing to install some UWP appx package.
    Something called Adobe XD.

We're using LTSC (against my advice, but whatever) so maybe it doesn't like UWP appx side loading?
    Apparently side loading is still ok for LTSC, but all the info i come across for errors like this revolve around getting updates from the microsoft store (which of course is non-existent on LTSC).

Then i remember the physical machine is also running LTSC.
    So it's not the OS and the adobe package is fine.

I start again today.

I do a fresh build on the physical machine and try again.
    Maybe there's something missing from the new image?

Some hours later.

It fails.
    Same failure as before.
    appx didn't install.

Then I notice that when it installed fine on the physical machine it was installing with an admin account that has been added to the system, not the built in administrator account (which gets disabled post install).
    When installing on the VM it's being installed using the built in administrator account.

So i look to see what's different between the accounts.
    Local admin account is not a member of the User's group and the added admin account is.
    Then i remember a line in the logs that didn't make sense to me and i couldn't find any helpful info on.
    "ERROR: Privilege lowering failed! Could not get Shell window or any user window."

Could this be the issue?

I reconfigure my build to add the local administrator account into the User's group before installing adobe.

Some hours later.

Success!

excellent, time to sysprep and capture this bitch.

Sysprep failure.

" SYSPRP Package Adobe.CC.XD_20.2.12.1_x64__adky2gkssdxte was installed for a user, but not provisioned for all users. This package will not function properly in the sysprep image."

It's that fucking Adobe XD again. Whatever the fuck that is.

A quick search and i find this....

So now i'm off to learn how to get MDT to install this one fucking application package as a different user account.

CptVipeR likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    elvis

So do 80% of office workers. Script the lot of them!

Daemon likes this.
  11. caspian

caspian Member

yup. major cable cut in NSW.

Unframed likes this.
  12. shredder

shredder Member

I'm not sure whether I should be pleased about automation foisting a billion foolish office workers out upon the rest of the world! Do we want that?! :lol:

13. Tinian

Tinian Member

That's what happens when someone cuts fibre at an exchange.

[edit] Should be resolved now.

Unframed likes this.
  14. chip

chip Member

why not use MDT to do it properly?

15. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

I am.
    MDT uses sysprep to do the sysprep.

16. Westerntribal

Westerntribal Member

Mmmm more to it than that I think. Maybe that's what triggered it but if that's the case then I don't even know what to say.
    Maybe something like All their chickens ?

17. caspian

caspian Member

Westerntribal likes this.
  18. Westerntribal

Westerntribal Member

Must have been some sort of edge issue to take down so many networks at a national level. The fact they restored it so quickly also makes me wonder. Muppet's alright.

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

Juvenal said, circa 100AD, "bread and circuses" would appease the mindless masses.

Today, we conveniently have Uber Eats and Netflix.

20. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

The unemployed billions won't have enough to pay for uber eats or netflix. And before you say UBI, that's about as likely as fully automated luxury gay space communism (which for the record would be AWESOME)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture