1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. tensop

tensop Member

no rants today? weak.

2. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Millennials are ruining the rant thread.

3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

PC rants only now. ;)

4. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

But I'm a Mac

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

It was sysadmin day. I totally forgot.

6. wazza

wazza Member

Because of the lack of rants today, I'll chuck in a multi-part rant.
    People are stupid part 1: User decides that their laptop bag is also a convenient place to store a bottle of water. Right on top of their laptop, not even in a separate section. Captain obvious strikes and the water spills all over the laptop.
    People are stupid part 2: User opens bag, pulls laptop out of puddle of water and decides the best thing to do is not to let it dry or anything, but rather to power it on immediately. After explaining why this was a bad idea their story changed to "it was on, in the bag" cause that's somehow not stupid anyway. Later visual inspection by my tech shows multiple shorts caused by the user powering it on, mobo = fried, battery = shorted, ram = met it's maker, rest of the laptop = unknown/can no longer be trusted.
    Unfortunate part 1: This laptop was one of the last purchased without prosupport plus (which covers accidental damage, and doesn't seem to have an excess).
    Unfortunate part 2: We recently changed insurers, and our accidental excess went up by 2.5x
    Semi-Fortunate: Convince dell to quote on replacement of every part of the laptop rather than just the obvious damaged bits, allowing us to only have to put a few hundred $$ in to get a new replacement rather than repair.
    Now we're just cursed: New laptop arrives, gets set up, and goes on one of our company owned trucks/company driver/direct site to site delivery to interstate office. Source warehouse claims 100% certainty that it was loaded on that truck, destination warehouse claims 100% certainty it wasn't. Laptop has done a MH370.
    Cursed part 2: Portable devices have to be individually specified on insurance - the chances that accounts added this same day is nearing 0, as is the chance that insurance will pay out this claim.
    Typical corporate bullshit: Monday morning the blamestorming sessions will start, if they haven't already.

7. tensop

tensop Member

prepare for emails with cc's of managers above you, beside you, below you, and behind you with knifes

8. Splade

Splade Member

I was babysitting our operations IT locally for a little bit. In that time I ordered two laptops which are shipped from headquarters in another state to our local warehouse.
    Naturally I receive the email saying that they've arrived but our warehouse knows nothing about it and is currently dealing with their own shit bomb of deliveries.
    Followed up with the security hut out The front and they claim to have let the delivery driver in and know nothing else.
    The delivery company when pressed was able to provide me a pdf of the signed receipt which naturally didn't match any of our warehouse staff on the receipts dock.
    Interestingly the machines responded to their hostname.
    You would think that narrowing down the location of a device on the network would be a trivial matter but apparently that was all too hard. I think Telstra have a finger in the pie for our networks.
    Reported the laptops missing as per our procedures to general security of all places which resulted in done glorified car park attendant losing their mind and freaking out about stolen laptops.

That was about the time I just accepted what I could not change and ordered two new laptops. No one ever questioned it.

9. looktall

It responds on the network, that must mean it has an IP address.
    Get the IP address and MAC.
    And then look up the MAC in the ARP table on the switch.

Or something.

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

Had a business owner many years back ring me from China. He was standing in the airport next to a fountain. Went to pull laptop out of bag. Laptop wasn't strapped in like normal. Slipped straight out, landed in the fountain.

Thankfully he rang me before turning it on. I told him to go to his hotel, and shove the hair dryer in any open hole (*giggle*) he could find, and leave it there for 15 minutes.

Great success, the laptop worked, and we won the job from the Chinese government (which they ultimately didn't pay the company for, and the company went broke, but that's a whole other story).

bcann likes this.
  11. cvidler

cvidler Member

typical over there.

We have to demand milestone payments, or stop work. most we can loose is one milestone worth.

We also only deliver by SaaS so they can't steal our shit, and again we can turn it off if they don't pay.

12. Splade

Splade Member

Had I access to the equipment I would have done that.

"Just tell me which AP it's connected to"
    "But that won't tell you where it is"
    "It will narrow my search area from anywhere to somewhere"
    "..."

13. wazza

wazza Member

Unsure whether to wear a stab proof vest on Monday, or go with the "attack is the best form of defence" method. Yes this makes me as bad as the other blamestormers, but hate the game not the player.

If they have any sort of remote execution enabled you can run a powershell command to unmute/volume to 100% and repeat a text to voice "I'm a missing laptop, report me to IT" constantly.

He was in China and you didn't make him leave it in a big bag of rice? Perfect opportunity wasted - but good to hear it worked.

I've also walked through our office before to find a managers laptop sitting in a teepee shape near the windows...asked her about it and found she'd knocked a full coffee over it, so instantly shut it down and sat it like that to drain and dry before turning it back on - at least she had some common sense. I pulled the keyboard on that one and found that the plastic covering under the keyboard had contained whatever coffee was left, so that laptop survived to fight another day.
    Compared to this guy, who I don't think even turned the laptop up to let the standing water run out before turning it on.

Rass likes this.
  14. looktall

I scored laptop for $50 years ago that someone had spilled bourbon and coke on.

I removed the motherboard and washed it in hot soapy water to remove the sticky shit (this is not a joke, I really did).
    Dried it off and gave it a blow out with compressed air.

Put it back together and the only issue with it was one faulty USB port.

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

That job was back in 2001. China was the new gold rush.

16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Code:
    top - 01:21:49 up  1:29,  1 user,  load average: 0.09, 0.14, 0.06
    Tasks: 107 total,   1 running,  60 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
    %Cpu(s):  0.8 us,  0.5 sy,  0.0 ni, 98.7 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
    KiB Mem :   948304 total,   793712 free,    56504 used,    98088 buff/cache
    KiB Swap:        0 total,        0 free,        0 used.   834240 avail Mem

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND                                                                          
      458 root      20   0  799960   9212   3696 S   6.2  1.0   5:57.57 sauce                                                                        
      366 mosquit+  20   0    9116   4848   4292 S   1.0  0.5   1:03.03 mosquitto                                                                        
     1421 nevemind  20   0    8020   3188   2716 R   1.0  0.3   0:00.28 top          
    Rewite code in GO instead of Python, reading 4xMTU's (serial over USB sensors) pushing 40+ MQTT payload messages per second, 2400+ message per minute or 3.5+ million messages a day. GO uses sweet fuck all CPU and no external links keeping the Pi 3+ < 65C, while Python interpreter is bloated and caused hi CPU usage (100%) and CPU to overheat > 82C.

Additionally the Python serial library caused baud rate issues with the MTUs, GO seems seamless however we are losing 6 messages per minute on one of the sensors that meassures vibration due to the length of the message, even when baud bandwidth should be more then adequate.

FYI for anyone doing serious IoT use a lower level language.

17. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

18. shredder

shredder Member

Happy Monday

19. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

I'd say also a lower level comms protocol, serial over USB can be a real shit too.

20. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member