Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Daemon

Daemon Member

This annoys me. CSIRO don't always kick goals, in fact most things fail. The morons looking at the books for them see lots of failures for lots of money in. What they don't see is what the failures lead to. Learning.

Sections like Data61 should be the reference and go-to point for all things data and AI here in Australia. Instead, they've been hobbled and barely able to tread water with requests and outcomes. The end result is that instead of passing on lessons learned to businesses, all businesses get to learn the failures themselves and in isolation.

Net result is large productivity losses and greater risk adversity, which means less exports and this means less government revenue. If they had the comprehension to look a the bigger picture, it's an overall net loss for the economy. Old MCB covered it nicely on 60 minutes recently:

1 billion a year in revenue and our "leaders" couldn't even comprehend that they're an export company, yet alone what they do.

millsy and elvis like this.
  2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Only repeatable tasks need automation, automation is about removing repetition. Also automation doesn't remove the onus on the responsibility of the maintainer to fully understand the technology of what they are automating, you are not a devOps if all you do is run other peoples automations without understanding what it is doing... ala 95% of people using docker-compose scripts from github.

3. Hive

Hive Member

Hey i have an email alert that goes out if a backup doesn't work. Foolproof system.

4. power

power Member

no we've long since accepted that the improved critical thinking and problem solving is a pipedream, so we go around it.

5. shredder

shredder Member

How adept are you at starting fires without matches/lighter/etc? More than you would have been had you lived 300 years ago? Or less?

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Ray tracing and HDR have been two of the most frustrating (technical) things to see the gaming community misunderstand for the last 10 years.

Things that "support ray tracing" are literally anything that can do floating point math.

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

I've got a friend who works there, and loves it. He's a full Haskell propeller head though, which isn't my wheel house at all. But the things they're doing are definitely on the "saving the world from itself" end of the spectrum.

But you're right: the people who should be supporting them don't actually understand how useful they could be.

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

"One click" is cheaper than "importuning critical thinking". Hence the race to the bottom via one-click everything, demanded by bean counters with no long term vision.

Not 2000 words, but there you go.

9. wazza

wazza Member

I likely worded that poorly, what I meant was I couldn't see myself converting a single hobby to a "job", or doing it 8x5 for any reasonable length of time without it becoming boring. I have many hobbies, some intersect, others don't - to enjoy myself without working would be quite easy (given the aforementioned reasonable sum of money...my hobbies are also reasonably expensive to do full time!), but I'd be doing different hobbies each day, not just a single one.

Given that he mentioned he's using Veeam, one thing that despite everyones love for Veeam I have found lacking (though to be honest I left this with my (non-457) underling to sort out so he may be looking at the wrong thing) is the multiple-copy backup job. From what he's told me Veeam expect you to re-do the full backup and have multiple backup chains if you're storing them on different devices, rather than just allowing a disk to disk copy - the only way for the chain to remain valid is for it to remain connected, so you can't realistically have a physically disconnected copy of the backup if you do this (we did work out another way around this, but it's outside of Veeam).

What happens if (or when, as it has happened in this case!) you have an issue with your single appliance? Could be an issue like you've had here, or crypto, or the office burns down etc. Sure a 2nd 20k appliance may not be able to be justified, but surely you could come up with another method for regular offsite/offline backups. I've seen enough cases where companies have suffered due to having a single online/connected backup to not do that to myself or the people I work for - better to learn from someone else's mistakes than to have to make them yourself!

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

Well that's fair enough. And I'm in the same boat - there's a million things I love to do in my spare time, and I could fill several lifetimes with them if they were combined into a full-time thing.

Which is also part of what I find boring about traditional work. The idea that things have to happen so inorganically - you come and go at regimented times, you work only in daylight hours, you do a set thing in your box. Stay in your lane, be a good drone.

My hobbies are all over the place. I can do them for 10 minutes and give up. I can do binge for 30 hours straight, obsessively without sleep, and spend the next 10 hours resting and recovering. They span a huge range of skills, techniques, art forms and outputs. Some of them are costly, most are entirely dollar free past a small outlay (some are totally $0 other than my time).

The lack of freedom to move around from thing to thing as I desire is something that irritates me greatly about "work". And yeah, flex time is a thing. But it's nowhere near as flexible as the name suggests.

freaky_beeky and cvidler like this.
  11. power

power Member

elvis likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    elvis

I wonder if Adobe are happy with the credit?

13. Gunna

Gunna Member

Redundant power supplies, raid 6 drives and NBD warranty will cover most issues.

In regards to crypto\ransomware, set yo shit up with isolated credentials for your backup infrastructure and jobs, don't have the shares available with write access to anyone on the network.

Should a fire occur at this stage we will lose 45 days of local data at current scale out settings with a review of S3 space shortly. Our ERP system is housed in the U.S so business will function as all core business is performed via the ERP which is replicated between 3 of our data centres(yes full multirack DC's).

Should the local Appliance die, we can rescan the S3 capacity tier in Veeam to restore, so this may result in all weekly and beyond exported out and only our incremental's stored on site

14. power

power Member

when was your last DRT, is the real question.

15. Gunna

Gunna Member

Twice a month I test restore entire shares from random snapshots and validate files open etc. Test restore of full VM hasn't occured but that policy is changing to BI annually with our first test taking place later this year. Hyper-V replica is in place between our physical buildings with VM's replicating every 15 minutes. Test fail over at that level occurs bi annually.

power likes this.
  16. wazza

wazza Member

Hardware issues sure, software issues, PEBKACs, vulnerabilities and the likes less so.

Sure, that's fairly basic stuff. I've seen a lot of people set up their "isolated" backup infra in less than ideal ways that when you scrape a layer away you find it's not truly isolated - things like only a specific user can write to the drive/share but they forget that the server it's on is on the domain, so if the crypto is able to get domain or local admin rights on the machine it can just take ownership of the drive, or secure erase it etc.

If your ERP is the core requirement for the business to function, I can understand why the local backups aren't given as high a priority. As long as for CYA reasons you've made sure the business have signed off on / acknowledged that in a true SHTF scenario local data newer than 45days may be lost.

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

18. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I'll just fork it and maintain it myself said nobody every.

19. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Yep, 3 months ago decided to drop all python development and move to GO, remove external dependency issues by creating everything complex as a binary, however alot of my automation uses ansibile and I/we have been lazy and not ported to python 3 :( so might need to invest some hours.

20. Gunna

Gunna Member

Da faq VmWare:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/71155