Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. shredder

shredder Member

The 4 horsemen of the apocalypse:
    *Donald Trump
    *Boris Johnson
    *Vladimir Putin
    *Microsoft Excel

2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

No not comparible, and thats the point, powershell is a framework not just a scripting language. MS couldn't win with FUD so they pulled their finger out and wrote some tools. Personally I don't agree with their framework when it overlays Linux, but that doesn't make me or those that use it wrong, only comparing it to bash is wrong IMO.

We past that event horizon many moons ago.

3. BAK

BAK Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    2SHY likes this.
  4. power

power Member

you think that and then someone says "hold my beer".

GumbyNoTalent and elvis like this.
  5. Unframed

Unframed Member

Having completed my workplaces many certifications, I feel this in my bones. It also has made me no fucking better with our products.

6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

I'm a contractor I've seen many more examples of stupid then people stuck in the same environment daily.

7. BAK

BAK Member

ironknee.jpg
    Sorry about the two image posts in the same day in response to you GumbyNoTalent , but its my birthday today and that makes it ok.

Hive, wazza, Scarpetta and 5 others like this.
  8. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Happy B'Day.

I acknowledge you believe all contractors are dumb, but we get paid lots more to do exactly as we are asked to do, now if I get asked to dumbshit I usually tell the person NO and explain as long as my patience allows me why, other contractors I know just do the dumbshit they are asked without questioning provided there aren't SLA's on the dumbshit. Many times I have said NO, and many times I have charged even more $$$/hr to fix it after someone elase has done dumbshit.

Also one mans dumbshit might be another mans brilliant idea, and visa versa.

And here is a image for you...
    mutha.jpeg

9. BAK

BAK Member

This isn't what I said at all, nor do I believe it. I was simply pointing out that you made a reference to 'examples of stupid' and then incorrect used 'then' instead of 'than'. Then I found two pictures that when you combine them, spell "ironknee/irony" and posted them for comedic effect. It's nothing personal, nor is it anything specifically aimed at contractors!

:birthdaycake_emoji:

Perko, 2SHY, Gunna and 1 other person like this.
  10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

'Sorry there's no msi available for this product. No we can't make one.'

*installer.exe proceeds to unpack an msi into temp and run.... :tired:

phrosty-boi and elvis like this.
  11. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

that's what java does.
    makes it pretty easy to get the msi file though.

12. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

If you do PS its basically a tour de retardation. Either you're un-fucking something, or you're told to actively fuck something by pointy haired bonus earning sales fuckwits. And customers are all dumb, if they weren't you wouldn't be there.

Its a major miracle that any IT works anywhere at all outside of the nirvana of the big cloud providers. Hospitals, govt, ASX200, critical utilities, you name it and I've seen plenty of examples of massive stupidity and that's only within my IT field.

Or maybe its just Australia, but I hear the same anecdotes from say UK expats for example (or maybe its just English speaking countries... lol).

I've seen an ASX 200 that had 'slow network' because they put PST files on their dropbox and couldn't figure it out. This was in 2018, not 2008.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  13. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

I did a while ago, this is why I changed your post to better reflect how I felt about it.

14. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

still better than MSP

15. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I'm not convinced that big cloud providers are a nirvana internally. When scant details of incidents are posted, they seem to be traced back to the same root causes that us plebs get in our environment. (DNS Broke It)

16. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Sorry I don't buy that. At their rate of change/progress with everything automated and a dizzying rate of changes going through in an automatic, successful manner, its fucking amazing and more to the point they've proved its possible (if you have an army of developers, hire smart people only and enforce technical architecture with an iron fist like AWS's famous "everything API or you literally will get fired and if you break your API you also get fired" mantra)

At the scale they operate at they've proven that not carrying technical debt and making the hard architectural decisions (in particular, defining use-cases) pays off. Our pitiful ASX50s are wallowing in legacy crap and political crap preventing what every not retarded engineer knows needs to be done to accommodate 90% of use-cases, the remaining 10% needs to be fucked off or solved in a non-IT way - and oh they are dealing with 1/1000ths the scale the hyperscalers deal with.

I'll also say this, we are horrifically American vendor-bound here. We don't have the inclination or the developer numbers or the culture to roll your own, or take something open-source/start-up-y and run with it. Must buy Cisco/VMware/MS. e.g. ANsible is too hard, lets wait until Cisco makes a GUI that's idiotproof, and oh yeah no way we're taking a risk on that tiny Arista mob with Cloudvision that is basically a semi-GUI over sort-of Ansible

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Daemon and elvis like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yeah, from what I've seen and heard internal to those places, while perhaps not "nirvana", it's a million times better than what I'm seeing people blow megabucks on right now through stupid human labour.

Every site I've been on in the last few years has the same gripe - getting tools out fast enough is hard. Whether that's enterprise LOB boringness, or stuff like in my neck of the woods (lots of open sourcey codey pythony yolo thingos), getting these things tested, released and integrated at the rate and scale of demand is "impossible". And yet, the big cloud folk do it, and do it to more people, and do it faster, and do it with far less human labour. "Continuous Delivery" (and it's predecessor, "Continuous Integration") are a cute buzzwords for CIO magazine, but honestly, when that shit is in and working, it's night and day compared to the complete waste of human life we plebs call corporate IT.

I'm running into huge brick walls of it here. Notorious gatekeepers who desperately want to hug boxes and hold on to the old ways. Mention automated anything and before even attempting to investigate you'll get a list of 30 reasons why it will "never work" (not "be difficult" or "be expensive", but flat out "this will fail so don't bother" attitudes before any due diligence is done). I mean, healthy scepticism is one thing. But this is just flat out fear.

And yet, there's constant whining about not being able to hire the people needed - which translates to "we need more human droid to manually copy files from point A to point B for other human droids to then test instead of doing their actual jobs of using the tools to solve real business problems". I repeat - the wasted human life on "meta work" - effort to manage tools that could be trivially automated - is the single biggest thing I see the Cloudy McCloudFace folk get right, and corporate/government Australia get wrong.

18. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

That's like those blockers who want to wait until all the ducks are lined up before making a decision on something.
    You know the type.
    "We have a few problems across a range of areas but let's not fix any of then until we're in a position to fix all of them"
    forgetting of course that fixing even one of the problems can reduce pressure on the other problem areas and the longer they um and ah the entire support team spends all their time putting out fires

19. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

And you may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"
    And you may ask yourself, "Where is that large GUI based operating system?"
    And you may tell yourself, "This is not my manual process"
    And you may tell yourself, "These are not my beautiful pets"
    And you may ask yourself, "Well... how did I get here?"

Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down
    Letting the days go by, water flowing underground
    Into the blue again after the money's gone
    Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground

20. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I'm sure there a bunch of API's Amazon want to depreciate, but can't because it would break to much stuff.