1. Win some Team Group goodies in OCAU's latest contest!
    Dismiss Notice

Consolidated Business & Enterprise Computing Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by elvis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Fred Nurk

Fred Nurk Member

There's no viable amount of training or cognitive therapy that can redress that inability either...

elvis likes this.
  2. wazza

wazza Member

Unfortunately they're all into autoerotic defenestration, so they'd just consider that a good time.

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

So, on the topic of the IT/business/politics crossover, CBA has a massive outage, and "outraged customers take to social media"
    https://7news.com.au/business/banks...ing-hungry-days-after-massive-outage-c-512005

I wonder how many of those "outraged" customers will change vendors? Or will it be like every other bit of outrage ever where the "least effort" option of bitching on Facebook for a minute is the entirety of effort people can be stuffed putting in to something that apparently dramatically affects their lives?

The longer I'm in this game, the more I realise you can pretty much do whatever you like, as everyone will forget even the worst things in 24 hours.

Hive likes this.
  4. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

"but changing banks is hard.
    what about all the shopping sites i visit that have my credit card number saved?
    i'll have to update them all."

5. cvidler

cvidler Member

Shows how sort sighted people are.

If a twelve hour outage means they're starving they've got much bigger problems.

Scarpetta and elvis like this.
  6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

There's a few yank banks that have CC's that offer temporary numbers you can assign per store, ie generate a new cc number for every store you use. You can invalidate them yourself at any time etc and none of the retailers get any details about your actual credit card. I haven't seen that feature on any of the cards available here, wish it was a more common feature.

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

"Better just post about my apparent starvation on Facespace instead".

looktall likes this.
  8. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

this is how google pay works.

EDIT: although it's a single virtual CC number, not one for each purchase.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  9. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Yeah, one of the marketing points behind one of the particular banks that offer this in retardistan is the ability to avoid the 'reset moment' where you need to update every service/store etc with new payment details if your card is compromised. You just cancel the one number that was compromised and create a new one for the affected store, or find a better store that handles your financial details in a more responsible manner... ah who am I kidding, nobody is doing that.

10. millsy

millsy Member

I saw a few legitimate complaints, e.g. people who had periodic payments set up they were going to default on because stuff wasn't processed. I personally wouldn't set them up to be so tight, but if you've been paid at the same time for a few years I can understand complacency. I believe they offered to recompense people for any missed payment fees.

But yeah there's gonna be no major changes, people are quick to complain and very lazy when it comes to acting.

11. shredder

shredder Member

"Business" is an ethical get-out-of-jail-free card, good for many excusements.

That's why I hate business.

It's abstracted away personal responsibility.

Systemically mutated our motivations into commercial ones.

elvis likes this.
  12. miicah

miicah Member

Also if you do your grocery shopping on the same day every week (like I do), would be super fucking annoying.

13. shredder

shredder Member

CBA has apparently 16 million customers. Let's arbitrarily pretend that we want 5 million of them to switch banks, to really sock home the fact that we hate them and what they do.

How long does it take a person to switch banks? Depends how many accounts you've got, and what type. If you've got a mortgage, it's not going to be as simple as flicking a switch to change banks. Let's be nice and say it takes an hour of work on the part of the consumer, to move all their banking affairs from CBA to Other.

So, 5 million customers, times 1 hour. That's 5 million human-hours of work. To teach CBA a killer lesson. Modulate the customer number down as you wish - it's still an astronomical cost figure.

And at that concept, I can only laugh in disbelief at how twisted everything can become, all excused by one little word, "business".

--

"Business" abstracts away CBA's responsibility for anything it does. Brainwashing humanity to the point where even extremely intelligent people believe that it's Right for the public to pay millions of human-hours of work in order to "right a wrong" made by a business. And indeed, that humanity is 'lazy' and culpable if they in fact do not collectively carry out that rectification.

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

Amen. How many sins are washed over, or obligations ignored, "because profit"?

And then it's all "it's the best system we've got, and we can't possibly improve". Ugh.

15. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

CBA does not have 16M customers, more like 16M accounts with most customers having 2-4 accounts/products, like personal banking, business banking, CC cards for boths and a home loan, not to mention the lease on the car, add some insurance and maybe a super fund and one peoson has 8-10 products/accounts.

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

But would you starve if you didn't do your shopping every *Tuesday* ?

Is the pantry and fridge empty Monday night?

17. miicah

miicah Member

No, starve would be an exaggeration, but I would be inconvenienced having to think of something else to do for dinner, plus it means I have to go shopping another day, possibly stuffing up other plans for the week.

18. melatonin

melatonin Member

what a hard life we live when the "inconvenienced having to think of something else to do for dinner" is an issue.

19. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

As we go towards a more cashless society, and as buisiness don't want to train staff in the manual processes required for a system outage, there needs to be some sort of guidelines in place for necessities when "the big one" happens.

20. shredder

shredder Member

Their reports must be lying then.

Good that you've corrected them. :thumbup:

What's the real number of CBA customers, if you don't mind saying?

Not that it really changes anything, they're still a behemoth ****.